Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Question about buying a stag arms ar15

First off, is it still legal in PA to do a FTF transaction with a rifle, specifically an ar-15? I thought I read about some pistol designation that was new...

Also, about how much would a stag arms flat top .223 AR-15 with four 30 round mags, 2 sets of handguards, foregrip, 100 rounds .223 brass case, be worth? The rifle apparently has some kind of piece that needs to be adjusted as well, so it is not %100 in its current state and may even need a new piece to operate correctly.

Is stag a good brand? And how much would the above package be worth in an FTF cash sale?
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Question about buying a stag arms ar15

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    First off, is it still legal in PA to do a FTF transaction with a rifle, specifically an ar-15? I thought I read about some pistol designation that was new...

Also, about how much would a stag arms flat top .223 AR-15 with four 30 round mags, 2 sets of handguards, foregrip, 100 rounds .223 brass case, be worth? The rifle apparently has some kind of piece that needs to be adjusted as well, so it is not %100 in its current state and may even need a new piece to operate correctly.

Is stag a good brand? And how much would the above package be worth in an FTF cash sale?
    I assume it's a Stag model 2 which are now back down to "pre-panic prices" of around $850. Mags are generally $10 a pop and the brass cased .223 is generally $.40 per round. All added up that's about $930 new.

Now what part needs to be "adjusted" or replaced?

FTF is still fine for rifles in PA and I would recommend a Bill of Sale, like the one at the top of the classified section.

Recently, some FFL's are now requiring lowers to be transferred as pistols as the receivers can be built into either one. I'm not sure if this is law or what a few FFL's are doing. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer.

With that said, Stag is a fine brand and use your judgment for what to offer him.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by he11zna View Post
    I assume it's a Stag model 2 which are now back down to "pre-panic prices" of around $850. Mags are generally $10 a pop and the brass cased .223 is generally $.40 per round. All added up that's about $930 new.

Now what part needs to be "adjusted" or replaced?

FTF is still fine for rifles in PA and I would recommend a Bill of Sale, like the one at the top of the classified section.

Recently, some FFL's are now requiring lowers to be transferred as pistols as the receivers can be built into either one. I'm not sure if this is law or what a few FFL's are doing. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer.

With that said, Stag is a fine brand and use your judgment for what to offer him.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regarding pricing, factor-in that the Stag Model 2 comes with 2 30-round mags, this one has 4. Additionally, there is supposed to be 2 sets of hand guards and a foregrip.

Some of this stuff could start to add up.

I also have a Model 2, and I like it a lot. Feeds and shoots everything I've thrown at it so far, and capable of some pretty tight groups.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Regarding pricing, factor-in that the Stag Model 2 comes with 2 30-round mags, this one has 4. Additionally, there is supposed to be 2 sets of hand guards and a foregrip.

Some of this stuff could start to add up.

I also have a Model 2, and I like it a lot. Feeds and shoots everything I've thrown at it so far, and capable of some pretty tight groups.
    I did factor in the extra mags in the $930 price ($850 gun +$40 mags +40 ammo)

Things like extra handguards and a VFG are generally just icing on the cake for buying something used.

I hope the seller isn't asking something outrageous like $1200 for the WHOLE package when the OP said the gun needs some work to boot.

I have a Model 2 as well and as Curmudgeon stated, it feeds everything I throw at it.

Offer him $800 for everything and go from there.

FWIW, I've seen FFLs filling out state paperwork on rifles as if they were handguns. No, not on lowers, but on completed, factory-built ARs.

(Tioga County)

I have a Model 3 which I like a lot. Since buying it I have upgraded the extractor with a black insert and O-ring , added Yankee Hill drop down front and rear sights backing up a BSA red dot and just today changed out the factory forearm to a Troy 4-rail and added a Troy single point sling attachment which I bought at the Harrisburg show yeaterday. New I paid $758.00 about 2 years ago.

(Chester County)

Thanks everyone, this has been helpful. So if I could get this for less than 800, I should jump on it? See I'm an AK guy and am not familiar with AR pricing.

As for the fix....its something like tightening some ring or clasp. It doesn't sound expensive, either way.

Is there anywhere to get a definitive answer on the actual legal transfer procedure? I read a thread about the new pistol classification on the lowers but I'm not quite sure it made sense at the time when I was just browsing over the topic.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks everyone, this has been helpful. So if I could get this for less than 800, I should jump on it? See I'm an AK guy and am not familiar with AR pricing.

As for the fix....its something like tightening some ring or clasp. It doesn't sound expensive, either way.

Is there anywhere to get a definitive answer on the actual legal transfer procedure? I read a thread about the new pistol classification on the lowers but I'm not quite sure it made sense at the time when I was just browsing over the topic.
    some ffls will transfer as a pistol some will transfer as a rifle some have not heard of this new "all ARs are pistols" crap yet and some refuse to tie up thier books with something that came as a rifle but sold as a pistol. in fact, i just bought my stag lower on monday and i ran this question by the owner and he replied...." if it comes classified as a rifle receiver it must be logged and sold as a rifle receiver, i am not losing my ffl because my log book is screwed up"
    Last edited by enfieldshooter303; June 14th, 2009 at 02:26 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldshooter303 View Post
    some ffls will transfer as a pistol some will transfer as a rifle some have not heard of this new "all ars are pistols" crap yet and some refuse to tie up thier books with something that came as a rifle but sold as a pistol. in fact, i just bought my stag lower on monday and i ran this question by the owner and he replied...." if it comes classified as a rifle receiver it must be logged and sold as a rifle receiver, i am not losing my ffl because my log book is screwed up"
    Hmm, I've contacted an FFL and I'll see what he says.

(Philadelphia County)

Is it a gas ring problem?
    They are cheap to replace, but I'd then ask how many round were shot through the rifle.

Take a bore light and if everything looks good, I'd jump on it if it was under $800.

Is this a FTF sale?
    When the seller purchased it, was he required to fill out an additional form for handgun?
    If so, you'd have to transfer it through an FFL.
    If not, FTF with a Bill of Sale is all you need.

Hope that helps a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast