Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of reinstating neg-rep?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: I want my neg-rep!

106 64.24%
  • No: I like things the way they are!

59 35.76%
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Discussion about reinstating neg-rep

I was not going to post a second reply, but I think there is a huge misconception. IMO, there absolutely needs to be a rep system here because of the amount of legal facts that get discussed. Many of the 9mm vs .45 users may not care less, but they are sometimes the ones who need to be neg repped.

There is no reason to really care about getting a neg rep for being disagreed with, really, if you are that sensitive go elsewhere. What neg rep is absolutely needed for is to show newbies looking for solid advice, who is reputable and who is not. It is also very useful when used to hammer someone who refuses to understand what they are doing is going to get someone in trouble. I can't tell you how many people I have seen come here spewing myths as if they were facts, get told not to do so, ignore this, get slammed, then finally re-evaluate themselves and go on to be good contributors. In the same vein, I have seen them try to keep putting erroneous info out there, realize no one was taking them seriously anymore due to all the red squares, and finally get the hint and leave.

If you complain about getting negged, you likely have mental problems. If you got negged and changed, or didn't really deserve it, then you suddenly became green.

As far as those who avoided saying what they thought, out of fear of being negged, too bad. If you can't say what you feel, within the forum rules, because you are afraid of the reception, maybe you should just stay quiet.

I think that if neg rep is reinstated, it should be left to the community to use it as they see fit, and if people complain to the mods about getting negged, they should be infracted for wasting their time.

You can slam the system all you like, you can not buy into the popularity side of it, and even be jealous of other's rep, but you can not deny it's immense usefulness to new users, or even more importantly, to those who simply browse the site looking for information, when they see someone with ten red squares posts that you may carry in a car as long as you are OC and claims their lawyer/police captain/DA brother swore it's true and five users with ten green squares correct them.

All the rest of the crying about it fails to outweigh the usefulness of that specific functionality.

If you are concerned with it being about cliques and power, simply don't use the function, and don't worry about your score.

OK, I'll stay out of it now.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: Discussion about reinstating neg-rep

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This is how I think it should have been from the start. (and have stated as much in one of the great neg rep debacle threads)

The individual "neg reps" were not so bad, but when you have one person who wields the same "power" as 300 individuals, each with a rep power of "1", things get kinda' hinky.

The numbers simply added up WAY too fast.

EM, do you think that some of this was due to a larger "native" audience than expected? I mean, I've used some other forums on cars and tools... Some of those have one or two users with rep counts in the millions, but most of the balance are new: they ask one question and leave after (if) they get their answer. Here, we have a good amount of "native" or "non-migratory" birds...

Just a thought, wondered if that angle had been considered at some point...
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

I dunno... I just know that it seems a bit skewed that one person can put you as far ahead or behind as it would take for several hundred others to do so.

I DO understand the basic concept of having a "reputable" member's rep being of (arguably) more "value", but I think the numbers just add up too quickly. For a while, I really started to consider what was "rep-worthy", as I don't think it's right that my rep power (as it stands, is somewhat high) bumps someone up SO much for something as simple as a joke that made me chuckle.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This is how I think it should have been from the start. (and have stated as much in one of the great neg rep debacle threads)

The individual "neg reps" were not so bad, but when you have one person who wields the same "power" as 300 individuals, each with a rep power of "1", things get kinda' hinky.

The numbers simply added up WAY too fast.
    This is similar to how the rep system works on another forum I post on. You can leave good and bad rep on a scale of 1-5, and the reps for the post are displayed, but not who left them.

For positive rep, a 1 might mean I agree and have nothing else to add, and a 5 would be a way of acknowledging someone who taught me something new, really helped me out or made me shoot pepsi out of my nose laughing so hard.

For negative rep, a 1 might be a way of saying I disagree, or what's that got to do with the price of bagels in outer Mongolia, where as a 5 would be the ultimate smackdown, akin to saying your mother is a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

As a person's rep grew, they could give more rep points (+ or -) per day, just never more than 5 to any one post. IIRC, the board I'm thinking of started everyone with 10 rep points to give per 24 hours, so they had to be used judiciously (a +5 and a -5, five +/-2's, , ten +/-1's, you get the picture). The advantage of the system is someone wouldn't necessarily get totally squashed at the bottom of a dog pile for single comment, but if someone was being a real bonehead, got some neg reps for a comment, yet persisted to be a bonehead, they could get smacked with more neg reps from the same people on their next offending post, even in the same thread.

Of course, if vBulletin doesn't support such a system, it's a moot point.
    Last edited by str8shooter; May 12th, 2010 at 05:41 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    This is similar to how the rep system works on another forum I post on. You can leave good and bad rep on a scale of 1-5, and the reps for the post are displayed, but not who left them.

For positive rep, a 1 might meant I agree and have nothing else to add, and a 5 would be a way of acknowledging someone who taught me something new, really helped me out or made me shoot pepsi out of my nose laughing so hard.

For negative rep, a 1 might be a way of saying I disagree, or what's that got to do with the price of bagels in outer Mongolia, where as a 5 would be the ultimate smackdown, akin to saying your mother is a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

As a person's rep grew, they could give more rep points (+ or -) per day, just never more than 5 to any one post. IIRC, the board I'm thinking of started everyone with 10 rep points to give per 24 hours, so they had to be used judiciously (a +5 and a -5, five +/-2's, , ten +/-1's, you get the picture). The advantage of the system is someone wouldn't necessarily get totally squashed at the bottom of a dog pile for single comment, but if someone was being a real bonehead, got some neg reps for a comment, yet persisted to be a bonehead, they could get smacked with more neg reps from the same people on their next offending post, even in the same thread.

Of course, if vBulletin doesn't support such a system, it's a moot point.

Is that kind of how PDO's rep system worked back in the day? I'm trying to remember and I'm drawing a blank...
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I was not going to post a second reply, but I think there is a huge misconception. IMO, there absolutely needs to be a rep system here because of the amount of legal facts that get discussed. Many of the 9mm vs .45 users may not care less, but they are sometimes the ones who need to be neg repped.
    Your saying neg rep helps people determine who to take legal advice from ? That is absurd on every level I can imagine.

look, I havent been a big fan of this place for a while.

One of the most distasteful aspects around here had been the "wolf pack" or "oc mafia" or whatever you want to call the follow the leader types who all gang up (both with neg and pos) on people.

The entire thing is childish, and the general air or this forum is imature.

Its not the end of the world, it just is what it is.

On another forum I frequent guys who KNOW what they are talking about have titles attached to their names that let people know. When Larry Vickers posts it says "Industry professional" under his name. Under his REAL NAME. Its not skullcrusher2000 with a zillion internet points.

I dont know how many threads I have stayed out of around here over the years because not only would the little boys gang pile it on, but I dont have the patientce to reply to every little argument and every "post links or stfu!" and "wheres the data......." blah blah blah.

Some time ago this post would have earned me neg rep from all the guys here who have to be right all thje damn time and rarely know what the fuck they are talking about.

I was in the hopes that the neg rep and moving the tinfoil hat crap to the lounge would rasie the bar around here. It hasnt.

There are still new guys coming here all the time looking for help. I came here like that once. I stick around here for them, because a certain fellow here convinced me I should. We'll see how long that lasts.

Thumbs down Re: Discussion about reinstating neg-rep

Stronly recommend against neg-rep,this is intended to be a friendly and informative site,It only encourages users that will only accept there own insight and be dammed and neg rep to all others who dont agree with them.Been there once and stayed away from the pafoa for three months !

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Your saying neg rep helps people determine who to take legal advice from ? That is absurd on every level I can imagine.

look, I havent been a big fan of this place for a while.

<snip>.
    You saying that that is what I said, is what is actually absurd. The rest was just a lot of crying. There are more than a few people around here that know "what the fuck" they are talking about, on a variety of topics. I know of a few who specialize in the topic of training, who sometimes try to apply that to a topic they are not as well versed in. The result is usually along the lines of everything I didn't quote in your post.

I know the UFA and how it relates to the carrying and possession of firearms in PA. I know it because I have spent a great deal of time studying it and discussing it. When I want to know how to remove sear springs from a .40VE, I ask Lycan. I don't try to act like I know how because I know the UFA. I don't post how I think it should work, as if my opinion is a fact, because I don't know shit about the facts of removing sear springs. More posters should try that approach and this place would be a lot less "imature".

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lancaster County)

Neg-rep will be abused by people who think they have thier shit together and they wil neg-rep people they don't like.I like things the way they are
    Gott mit uns

(Northumberland County)

It wont be fair to thos ewho are new to the forum and are still "wet behind the ears" like i used otbe when i first came in the forum. Only those with high rep count want to bring the neg rep system back so they can be the dominant alpha males in this forum.

It will take all the fun out of this forum to those who are inexperienced and make mistakes . Being Neg repped is like being blackballed by a college frat.

I like the rep system the way it is we dont need any more ways to feed the "rep nazi's" I like to see everyone getting along and stop whining about the rep system and maybe take the entire rep system out of this forum and see how everyone reacts why they need a rep system?

This forum is supposed to unite all gun owners to fight the illegal systems that the government is abusing , and protect our 2nd Amendment gun rights not just make this a war zone.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast