Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Close call last night

Quote Originally Posted by iamhistory View Post
    wow............glad you made it out alive. sounds like a real hair raiser.

now give me the last 5 minutes of my life back that i wasted reading that stupid shit.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to iamhistory again.

(Adams County)

Just my 2 cents worth.

The first line of self defence is situational awareness and confrontation avoidance. Being prepared is more than carrying a firearm, its a package deal. Once that firearm clears your leather you are probably at the last stage where you don't have a choice, if you don't act someone is going to get hurt or die.

Run the red light, get away, call the police, be the best witness you can. Unless the situation requires you to act independantly, i.e. requires lethal force to save a human life put the ego on the shelf and stay out of the immediate situation.

(Allegheny County)

The readiness of the gun has been covered. So ill get more to the driving aspect.

1. Lock your doors. The guy in front of you didn't and he seriously put himself in trouble.

2. If some window washing whine-o even tried to open the door I would go through the light as soon as it was safe. I can share an example of something similar.

When I first moved here we went out Fright Nights at Kennywood. On the way back I made a wrong turn. (This despite having a GPS but those things are not pefrect) it recalculated and tried to get me back on course. Thing is it was taking me down Race St. I had read in the papers a few days ago about the high level of gang related activities on that very street. So rather than follow the GPS I checked the traffic and did a U-turn on the middle of the street I was on because I knew that would take me back to my original route. Had I gotten pulled over I would have tried by best to explain my situation and the worst case was I would have just taken the ticket (although I would have tried to plead my case again in court).

3. When I do have to drive through a crappy neighborhood. I try my best to time the lights so I dont have to stop. Sometimes this means traveling below the speed limit for a while but I figure a slow moving car is better off than a stopped car.

4. If I do have to stop always keep some space between you in the vehicle in front of you so you have enough room to go around them. Worst case is you have to pull into the oncoming lane to get away.

What this boils down to is I would never worry about breaking a traffic law to get out of a potentially dangerous situation. The worst that can happen is you get a ticket. But at least you have an LEO around to defuse the situation.

(Lancaster County)

I do agree that you should have your pistol holstered and ready. As far as a goof going up to a stranger and washing windows with out permission is a shame. I hope the clowns in Lancaster city don't start this as we have a strong KKK following around here. And no doubt somebody would be seriously hurt or worse. And no I'm not in the KKK. But I am tiny bit of a bigot when it comes to this. I would definitely tell a window washer he may die young if he approaches my vehicle.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 06PA636 View Post
    Last night while myself and my girlfriend were heading to a birthday party at the library bar on carson, I had a close "incident" you could say. Got off the 6th/7th street ramp and made the left past the mellon arena, and instead of taking the right onto washington due to traffic we drove past the arena and made a right onto the next road (crawford for those on you familier with the area) this turned into Pride street shortly after. There is a double intersection at the pride/colwell street and the pride/our way rd. As i stopped at the intersection of colwell i seen a red suv stopped 25ft in front of me at the ourway intersection. at that moment an african american man approached the suv and began to "wash" his windows the driver became angry from what i seen of his hand guestures and thats when i got worried. The african man then Opened the passanger side door and began arguring with the driver. At that moment i reaching into the glove box and racked the slide of the xd. All my girlfriend seen was me reach of the glovebox, yelling "oh shit" and pulling out a gun. she freaked out and at the same time this was all going on the driver of the suv stompped on the gas and took off since the light thankfully turned green. Right then ours did too and we drove thru both intersections all while staring at the gentleman and keeping my pistol in my lap. As re made our left on forbes and then across the birmingham bridge i calmed down enough to explain to my girlfriend what all happened. All she seen was the african closing the door and thought he just got out of the red suv in front of us. She then went and bitched at me for scaring her with my actions over the whole situation and what not. I myself justified the whole situation since that could have been us at the first intersection not the other guy. What do you guys think?
    Holy WTF? Let me see if I have this right:
    A bum goes to wash the window of some guy's car that is not even at your light, the driver yells at the bum, the bum then tries the door handle and finding it unlocked, opens the door(which any window washing bum knows is the easiest way to get someone to throw change at you just to get you the hell away from them), and this make you yell, "OH SHIT!", and grab a gun?? You need some serious counseling sir. What if the light had not just changed, and the bum then came by you to wash your window? Would you have emptied the mag into his face? There is something very wrong with your threat assessment capabilities, and, I'll say it again, you are in need of serious counseling.
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
    I do agree that you should have your pistol holstered and ready. As far as a goof going up to a stranger and washing windows with out permission is a shame. I hope the clowns in Lancaster city don't start this as we have a strong KKK following around here. And no doubt somebody would be seriously hurt or worse. And no I'm not in the KKK. But I am tiny bit of a bigot when it comes to this. I would definitely tell a window washer he may die young if he approaches my vehicle.
    I'm sorry...What?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234