Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: National Park Service - Firearms Rules

Whether we like it or not. I'm betting that most "employe's" aren't real happy about it. I'm sure they think we will be flashing firearms, shooting the monuments, getting drunk (cause all pro gun people are beer drinking rednecks) and just scaring the public.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CZ40P View Post
    I think this new law only covers National Parks , and Wildlife Areas. I don't think it changes a thing at "National Historic Sites", while administered by the National Park Service, such sites are not considered National Parks.
    Is there any rule or regulation against carry of firearms at National Historic Sites?

In other words you still can't carry at places like The Liberty Bell...
    You won't be able to legally carry into the building that houses the Liberty Bell because it is a "federal facility". The spot where the Liberty Bell sits is part of Independence National Historic Park.

(Indiana County)

I think this new law only covers National Parks , and Wildlife Areas. I don't think it changes a thing at "National Historic Sites", while administered by the National Park Service, such sites are not considered National Parks.

In other words you still can't carry at places like The Liberty Bell, Steamtown National Historic Site, The Statute of Liberty (which is in New York anyway???)
    1) Well, there are actual permit holders within NYC, who normally have large bank accounts, political connections, etc.

2) The Statue of Liberty is a national monument in the national park system.
    Reading S.Amdt. 1025 (
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/amen...111&amdt=s1068 )

(Northampton County)

In other words you still can't carry at places like The Liberty Bell, Steamtown National Historic Site, The Statute of Liberty (which is in New York anyway???)
    You can carry in any unit of the National Park System that is in a state were you are legally allowed to carry. Please keep in mind that carrying into a building that is normally staffed by NPS personnel will not be allowed. These building will be signed as NPS facilities and should have a sign prohibiting firearms.

Nomenclature of the National Park System

The National Park Service uses over 20 different titles for the park units it manages. The best known are national park and national monument.

National Military Park, National Battlefield Park, National Battlefield Site, and National Battlefield. National Historical Park, National Historic Site, and International Historic Site, National Lakeshore, National Memorial, National Monument, National Park, National Parkway, National Preserve and National Reserve, National Recreation Area, National River and National Wild and Scenic River and Riverway, National Scenic Trail, National Seashore, Other Designations (White House, National Mall, etc).
    National Parks include a range of superb natural and cultural wonders.

National Monuments preserve a single unique cultural or natural feature.

National Historic Sites protect a significant cultural resource that is not a complicated site.

National Historical Parks are larger areas with more complex subjects.

National Military Parks, Battlefield Parks, Battlefield Sites, and Battlefields preserve areas associated with military history. The different designations reflect the complexity of the event and the site. Many of the sites preserve important Revolutionary War battles and Civil War battlefields.

National Seashores and National Lakeshores offer preservation of the national coast line, while supporting water–based recreation.

National Recreation Areas originally were units surrounding reservoirs impounded by dams built by other federal agencies. Many of these areas are managed under cooperative agreement with the National Park Service. Now some national recreation areas are in urban centers, because of the recommendations of a Presidential commission, the Outdoor Recreation Resources Review Commission (ORRRC).

National Rivers and Wild and Scenic Riverways protect free-flowing streams over their length. The riverways may not be altered with dams, channelization, or other changes. Recreational pursuits are encouraged along the waterways.

The National Trails System preserves long-distance routes across America. The system was created in 1968 and consists of two major components: National Scenic Trails are long-distance trails through some of the most scenic parts of the country. They received official protection in 1968. The Appalachian Trail and the Continental Divide Trail are the best known. National Historic Trails commemorate the routes of major historic events. Some of the best known are the Trail of Tears, the Mormon Trail, and the Santa Fe Trail. These trails are administered by several Federal agencies.

National Preserves are for the protection of certain resources. Activities like hunting, fishing, and some mining are allowed.

National Reserves are similar to national preserves, but the operational authority can be placed with a local government.
    Last edited by Red; February 14th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Whether we like it or not. I'm betting that most "employe's" aren't real happy about it. I'm sure they think we will be flashing firearms, shooting the monuments, getting drunk (cause all pro gun people are beer drinking rednecks) and just scaring the public.
    I think you will see the same breakdown in the popultion of NPS as you do in the rest of the U.S. And depending on where the park is located or the park staff grew up may affect their opinion.

For example I am sure that citizens & park service employees will be against it in places like Golden Gate National Recreational Area, Yosemite and Cape Cod National Seashore. The same will go for idealistic left leaning park service personnel, who let their personal values cloud their work responsibilities. Or the parsk service employees like the female, african-american park ranger I met this summer in Denali National Park in Alaska who was born and raised in Detroit.

As for the drinking and carrying. Though I have had a beer or two while carrying, I think that as long it is legal under state law then it should be allowed in the NPS unit in said state.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Is there any rule or regulation against carry of firearms at National Historic Sites?
    I'd like to know the answer to that also.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    You can carry in any unit of the National Park System that is in a state were you are legally allowed to carry. Please keep in mind that carrying into a building that is normally staffed by NPS personnel will not be allowed. These building will be signed as NPS facilities and should have a sign prohibiting firearms.

Nomenclature of the National Park System

The National Park Service uses over 20 different titles for the park units it manages. The best known are national park and national monument.

National Military Park, National Battlefield Park, National Battlefield Site, and National Battlefield. National Historical Park, National Historic Site, and International Historic Site, National Lakeshore, National Memorial, National Monument, National Park, National Parkway, National Preserve and National Reserve, National Recreation Area, National River and National Wild and Scenic River and Riverway, National Scenic Trail, National Seashore, Other Designations (White House, National Mall, etc).
    National Parks include a range of superb natural and cultural wonders.

National Monuments preserve a single unique cultural or natural feature.

National Historic Sites protect a significant cultural resource that is not a complicated site.
    National Historical Parks are larger areas with more complex subjects.

National Military Parks, Battlefield Parks, Battlefield Sites, and Battlefields preserve areas associated with military history. The different designations reflect the complexity of the event and the site. Many of the sites preserve important Revolutionary War battles and Civil War battlefields.

National Seashores and National Lakeshores offer preservation of the national coast line, while supporting water–based recreation.

National Recreation Areas originally were units surrounding reservoirs impounded by dams built by other federal agencies. Many of these areas are managed under cooperative agreement with the National Park Service. Now some national recreation areas are in urban centers, because of the recommendations of a Presidential commission, the Outdoor Recreation Resources Review Commission (ORRRC).

National Rivers and Wild and Scenic Riverways protect free-flowing streams over their length. The riverways may not be altered with dams, channelization, or other changes. Recreational pursuits are encouraged along the waterways.

The National Trails System preserves long-distance routes across America. The system was created in 1968 and consists of two major components: National Scenic Trails are long-distance trails through some of the most scenic parts of the country. They received official protection in 1968. The Appalachian Trail and the Continental Divide Trail are the best known. National Historic Trails commemorate the routes of major historic events. Some of the best known are the Trail of Tears, the Mormon Trail, and the Santa Fe Trail. These trails are administered by several Federal agencies.

National Preserves are for the protection of certain resources. Activities like hunting, fishing, and some mining are allowed.

National Reserves are similar to national preserves, but the operational authority can be placed with a local government.
    *size is mine

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Based on Red's post which headcase quoted, it seems that National Historic Sites fall under the same rules as National Parks.
    The National Park Service uses over 20 different titles for the park units it manages.
    As of Feb. 22, I see no issue with carrying in compliance with applicable state laws at any of the sites ("park units") listed in Red's post.
    Last edited by unloved; February 15th, 2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added some stuff.

(Clinton County)

what pisses me off is that the 2nd amendment is a FEDERAL law yet in any federal buildings even under this law you cannot carry.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1m0thy View Post
    what pisses me off is that the 2nd amendment is a FEDERAL law yet in any federal buildings even under this law you cannot carry.
    Yeah, it's ridiculous. One step at a time...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast