Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Negative Encounter with LEO (it's not what you think!)

my daughter's been under the weather the past few days. she's been out of school with a nasty cough since last Tuesday; she's now on a prednisone and albuterol course. on top of that, she developed an ear infection over the weekend that resulted in a vomit covered blanket at 3AM this morning, and an ER visit this evening. she's had a death grip on her ear most of the day, and a slight fever.

so, we arrived at CMC around 6:30PM. i checked her in, and we sat and waited. they came a few minutes later, got her information, then left us to wait a while longer. i sat with her, and scanned the waiting room: a young couple with two young sons, an elderly woman by herself, a local prostitute with a black eye, a corrections officer in uniform in a wheelchair, in obvious pain, and two younger guys.

i got up to get a drink from the vending machines for the kid. as i walke dover, one of the two younger guys made his way to the machines as well. i waited, letting him go ahead of me. he bent down, grabbed his drink, then turned to go back to his buddy. it was then i saw the butt of his gun, peeking out from underneath his shirt; i guessed he didn't mean for that to happen. i called after him.

"hey, buddy," i said, trying to be discreet. he turned to face me. "your shirt," i said, then mimed adjusting it. he looked at me puzzled, so i mouthed the words your gun.

he quickly looked down, then smiled, and covered it again. "thanks, bro."

"whaddya got there?"

"a Glock, 9mm."

"ah. i don't mean to bust your balls about it; it's cool that you carry, but they hospital people will freak if they see it, and they have that big sign out front. they'd give you a hard time about it, is all."

"eh, it's cool; im a cop."

i paused a bit when he said that, then asked him, "really?"

he smiled. "ya think i'm lying?"

"i didn't say that. it's just that, if you're not a cop, you should know that saying that you are is a felony. if you are, than whatever."

he gave me a look that said you gotta be kidding me, then shrugged, pulled out his wallet, then, covering his name, showed me his badge. he was a Dunmore officer. "there, satisfied?" he shoved his wallet back in his pants.

"like i said, it doesn't matter to me if you're a cop or not. i was just saying, if they see it, they'll give you a hard time."

he rolled his eyes at me. "doubt it."

"well, they gave me a hard time about it last year."

"are you a cop?"

"uh, no."

"well, i am. so, whatever. why the hell would you bring a gun here for, anyway?"

this was the part where my brain wanted to shut itself off, after hearing what this dumbfuck just said to me. i was dumbfounded by him. was he serious? here he is, an idiot with a gun, asking me why i felt it was necessary to carry a gun.

well, guys, i'm ashamed to say i was speechless, for once. some off-duty schmuck managed to shut me up with almost no effort on his part. sonofabitch!!!

i stood there, wanting to shout fuck you, while kicking him in the man parts, but all i could manage was, "your attitude sucks."

"whatever, buddy."

"right. whatever."

i had more to say, but the admissions nurse came in and called for us. i gave him a look, and collected my kid. 2 hours later, i was on the road again, to drop her off at her mother's.

on the way back, i had this thought, more of an urge, really, to call the police. after all, there was a man with a gun in the ER waiting room, an ER in a hospital that had a nice, big sign out front, banning firearms. i had the phone in my hand, me nasty brothers, and i really wanted to dial it in, but i didn't. i suck.

you know, i realize i have a bias against the police, but i try not to, i really try. i say it's like a guy who grew up in the Klan, and he knows racism is wrong and stupid, but can't let go of old habits. i really do try, especially because we have a number of members here who are LEO, and i happen to like them. our guys here are what LEOs are supposed to be, and it sucks to think they have to put up with bullshit from guys like me, who call them pigs at every turn.

but can you blame me when almost every time i have to deal with one, they end up being an asshole?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Negative Encounter with LEO (it's not what you think!)

man i hate when i lock up like that !!!! i feel for ya .... hope your girls feels better soon !!!
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

sometimes its a good thing when your caught off guard and stunned. it doesnt happen often but im sure its kept me out of trouble a couple of times. altho some people are total douchebags, telling them about it can get you in hot water sometimes. this probably would have been one of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post

"eh, it's cool; im a cop."

i paused a bit when he said that, then asked him, "Didn't score high enough on the Fire Fighter exam?
    I have used that and they "Love" it..... well not really.

Get well wishes...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 Outlaw View Post
    sometimes its a good thing when your caught off guard and stunned. it doesnt happen often but im sure its kept me out of trouble a couple of times. altho some people are total douchebags, telling them about it can get you in hot water sometimes. this probably would have been one of those times.
    LMAO!!! have you read any of my other encounter stories?

not sure. i usually dont check out too many open carry threads even tho i open carry alot just because i dont want to read about 20 neg encounters then have my brain jump to conclusions on what could be a positive encounter by remembering something similar from a thread that makes me believe its going to turn bad and then having my knee jerk reaction due to others experience actually turn it into a negative encounter.

if you'd see me you'd understand why. altho im a nice guy who follows most laws and am polite and respectful, im sure people who encounter me without knowing me get the wrong first impression. i look like someone who's done time. 5'11" 280lb short hair baggy clothes. i look like the reason most of you carry a gun to make it short and blunt lol.. i think when i go to the range with my pistol people are expecting to see me draw and shoot with it sideways.

with all that said if someone noticed my gun and i over reacted the slightest bit im sure i'd have the police called on me.

shouldnt judge a book by its cover but 90% of people do, im guilty of it myself sometimes.

(Lackawanna County)

Holy crap, jah. I really hope your daughter feels better soon.

That's just one more thing I'm spared while not being a "daddy" - I'm really not sure I could bear seeing my little girl going through all of that. That's just horrible, man. Like I said - I hope she feels better quickly.

As for the prick -er, I mean the 'gentleman' who seemed to assume he was of a 'better class' of citizen than you - what a real jerk!

Of course you were speechless - it would be extremely undignified to lower yourself to the level it would take to communicate with the likes of him on in front of your daughter.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(York County)

What don't you understand about:
    DON'T TALK TO THE COPS!!

LOL!.... I had to do it.....

Even off-duty, even when you think you're helping them out, some can be as dense as a black hole.....

So this cop carries concealed, off duty in plain clothes in a hospital waiting room, but can't fathom why someone else would? No offense to those present, but this sounds as if Police Academy was actually a documentary.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Monroe County)

Ain't much to say except, of course, I hope the girl feels better soon. What a penis that dude was.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast