Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Some Research on OC'ing

OK Hello to all, I have a favor to ask of all you brave souls that OC (myself included). Im seeing alot of people posting +encounters and -encounters and I've decided to kinda put together a sort of statistic as far as Good to Bad sort of thing.. Anyways I need everyone's help.

The way I see it is, if everyone that OC's and does so atleast 10 hours or more a week !IN PUBLIC! can try and keep track of how many people or (faces as I like to say it) that are a + or - and get a round about number for a week's period Then. Posting this info on here WEEKLY not posting everytime someone see's your peice. I'll do my best to keep track of it all and I wanna see how it changes from winter to summer months and if that affects peoples mood differently with nice weather (less clothes more opions for people to "notice" ur sidearm)

The guidelines are simple. Just watch people's faces (most of you already do) keep a mental note through out ur day of how many Plus's or Minus's you got then add them up for the week and post the number please in some fashion like I.E. "this weeks scores are like +45 to -32 or whatever.. I just wanna see how this changes and Over a long enough timeline I can get an HONEST, record of how the publuc responds to the sight of a firearm and the idea of Open Carry.

Now the other side to this also is That this will allow everyone to recap that whole week of them OC'ing instead of 5000 miliions posts for just different days of the week, you can pick out the best parts from the week and describe them . SO if anyone is interested in doing This PLEASE DO SO AND REALLY TRY. keep post-it's with you they help with accuracy of numbers you can just make slashes.

I plan on STARTING January 27, 2010 and POSTING on Febuary 3, 2010 I recomend anyone that is going todo this start on this date if ya can please. thanks and I hope this works out

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Some Research on OC'ing

I think this is a good idea... Im on

(Northampton County)

How much does this pay?

The answer is simple. Random encounters are uncommon and most of those are positive.

(Mercer County)

I am not about to OC and continually be looking around to see who is looking at me and wonder why they are looking at me. It seems like a fabulous way to get a 911 call about a MWAG looking nervous as he continually scans every person in the establishment.

Besides, how in the world would you know what someone is thinking if they have a blank look on their faces? It could range from support to near panic... And that's assuming that they saw my handgun in the first place!

I OC like it is a legal activity because it IS a legal activity. I don't worry about what others think or if they are staring. I recommend that people just go about their business when they are OCing. The more "normal" you make it seem, the more "normal" people will assume it is.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    I am not about to OC and continually be looking around to see who is looking at me and wonder why they are looking at me. It seems like a fabulous way to get a 911 call about a MWAG looking nervous as he continually scans every person in the establishment.

Besides, how in the world would you know what someone is thinking if they have a blank look on their faces? It could range from support to near panic... And that's assuming that they saw my handgun in the first place!

I OC like it is a legal activity because it IS a legal activity. I don't worry about what others think or if they are staring. I recommend that people just go about their business when they are OCing. The more "normal" you make it seem, the more "normal" people will assume it is.

Very true good sir although I wasn't tryin to imply anyone being sketchy or trying to seem nervous, but more like "being aware" I was just trying to get a general concensus. rep sent. "p

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by gumbys1up View Post
    Very true good sir although I wasn't tryin to imply anyone being sketchy or trying to seem nervous, but more like "being aware" I was just trying to get a general concensus. rep sent. "p
    Thanks.

I knew you weren't implying that. I was just saying that if people started to look around to see what other people's reactions were, that person would appear sketchy or nervous.

I'd love to see a stat that shows how OCing is a normal thing, but unfortunately there is no good way to do that by observation.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Allegheny County)

I'd have to agree with Paradigm, but also add that it seems to me that a significant amount of times, the person who is OC is the person who 'creates' the situation. I've OC and am often around people who are OC. When the gun is carried properly, the carrier goes about their business, and treats every day the same, firearms often are not noticed.

Flash back to the first time I OC in a grocery store. I felt like everybody was looking and scrutinizing. I was just waiting for a confrontation or a comment so I could be the pro gun educator! (insert superhero tune here) Nothing happened. Nothing was said. I'm pretty damn sure that any 'look' that I thought I was getting was the same one I'd get if I passed someone in a store CC.

So, as much as I think it would be a really interesting look at public reactions to OC etc, I think something like this is very dependent on perception. I bought a Honda and suddenly I notice a painfully high number of Hondas on the road. I have to replace a headlight in Jill's car and suddenly I notice every single car with a headlight out.

...but that's my humble opinion...

(Erie County)

Rather than try to guess other peoples thoughts, why not a log of encounters. Where you actually speak to someone who mentions the OC, pro or con.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Rather than try to guess other peoples thoughts, why not a log of encounters. Where you actually speak to someone who mentions the OC, pro or con.
    It would take a long time to come up with enough encounters good or bad to make any real conclusions as to statistics. As most OCers here will attest to, it just doesn't come up that often. I agree this would be more reliable evidence, however the best way to gather stats would probably be to just go through all the threads already on here about good encounter / bad encounter. Just try not to include the BS stories creatively fantasized by the trolls.

I don't think I would put much faith into statistics gathered by "reading peoples faces". It may be OK for Poker, but not for trying to show statistical evidence. JMO.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(Monroe County)

Although your intentions seem good, I'm guessing it would be more scientific for you to simply make up statistics than the results you are bound to get will be...

Just sayin'

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast