Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Looking for CCW...Aubie was right

He said to go for a P-11 over a P3AT when we were talking the other week in the chatroom. I honestly was dead set on the .380 until I held one. It was TOO small. I'll still probably end up with one sometime in the future (it would be handy to have around for sure) but for now I'm thinking more like a P-11. However, that also got me thinking about how a G26 isn't that much larger and I could still potentially pocket carry either of them (It must be able to be pocket carried because I don't want to get something that could be potentially uncomfortable or require a complete change in wardrobe). I thought about the G27 but it would be nice to have another 9mm to share rounds with my 92FS and it should be easier to shoot with that small frame. So, G26 or P-11? I've never shot either so any input would be much appreciated. Know of any deals for either of them?

... And I will not drive across the state to go to Wolf's, Happy. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

(Westmoreland County)

About smallish handguns, Clint Smith says a handgun is supposed to be comforting, not necessarily comfortable.

There are times when a J Frame S&W fills a niche but I personally don't like anything smaller than a 1911 Commander / G19.

(Westmoreland County)

I don't expect it to be completely comfortable. I'm most comfortable with nothing in my pockets but back when I smoked I had a bunch of crap in there at all times. I know the P3AT would be comfortable and I'd forget it was even there, but I'm willing to give that up to be "comforted"...hence the larger pistol. I don't have much extra room in my waistband ( I HATE cinching up a belt, but I do wear one) so I just don't want to get something that will absolutely require me to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe, i.e. long sleeve shirts (I'm always warm), and replacing my pants. I'm looking for something that's comforting like my 92FS but is a little more realistic for my lifestyle.

(Bucks County)

If you're dead set on pocket carry, you might find a double stack 9mm like the G26 too big and blocky, not to mention heavy.

You might look into Kahr PM9 and also try an Airweight, hammerless snubby.

(Northumberland County)

kel tec has a new single stack 9 I think it's called the PF9 it's supposed to be as thin as a kahr.

(Beaver County)

I had a P-11 and didn't find it really very suitable for pocket carry at all, unless you are talking about overcoat pockets or something. I wear Dockers and cargo pants a lot, and the P-11 was too thick and too heavy. It printed through every pair of pants like that I own. Since I wear regular cut jeans, it's worth mentioning that the P-11 was a very tight fit in Levi's pockets. Too tight, in fact, to draw with any kind of speed.
    I don't have much extra room in my waistband ( I HATE cinching up a belt, but I do wear one)
    Get yourself a good belt and get used to cinching it up. With a full magazine, the P-11 was heavy enough to drag down my pants on whichever side I wore it. A belt mitigated the waistband getting dragged down, but the pocket on that side still looked like I was carrying something heavy in it.

You can lessen the printing by using some kind of pocket holster, but that makes the already thick pistol even thicker.

The P-11 is a good pistol, but not a real good candidate for trouser pocket carry IME. I found mine substantially more comfortable in an IWB holster. FTR, I found the P-11 to be reliable and simple enough that I gave it, along with the IWB holster, to my brother, who is not a gun enthusiast, to use as his personal protection piece.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Demko View Post
    The P-11 is a good pistol, but not a real good candidate for trouser pocket carry IME. I found mine substantially more comfortable in an IWB holster.
    What I found, also, is that once you make the quantum leap from pocket carry to belt holster, such as IWB, then it doesn't really make much difference if the gun is P-11/G26 sized, or mid-sized like a G19 or Colt Commander or Sig 228 size. So if you go IWB, you might as well get a decent mid-sized gun with a full grip.

So I found that small double stacks like the G26 really had no useful niche for me. Pocket carry requires small. And once you go for belt carry, medium-size is just as easy as subcompact. So subcompact-double-stack was a niche without a purpose for me.

YMMV, but I predict pocket carry will mandate single-stack 9mm or a snubby.

Get yourself a good belt
    Extremely sound advice. Perhaps THE premier new-to-CCW mistake is staying with thin, flimsy dress belts. Getting a real gun belt is not something you would know to get until someone clues you in. I know I carried with a dress belt for a full year: the gun sagged, my skin was lacerated, my back ached. A lot of people carry with a dress belt, then conclude that belt carry is "not for them." The first time you carry with a thick, 1.5" gun belt is one of those happy revelations in life.
    Last edited by dgg9; September 29th, 2006 at 08:57 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

the glock 26 is a tad to big for pocket carrying...but i love mine.
    feels good in my hand, accurate as needed, small, and has a good balance.
    LOL with your choice, you really will not go wrong with either ...what feels best to you will shoot best for you.

(Allegheny County)

I carry a Kahr P9 Covert. When I pocket carry, its in a Kytac Pockit Lockit and is comfortable. For work, that same gun is in a desantis ankle holster,also comfortable.

I'm not a big fan of the 9mm ,but I can't carry my Glocks 23 or 32 to work,so the Covert seems to fit the bill for me. The PM9 had issues( FTF-feed ramp angle and something about the recoil spring if I remember) a while back and i don't know if they have been resolved.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for all of the help and info thus far, gents. I'm going to go molest some pistols tomorrow to start zeroing in more on my final choice. I definitely need to look at holsters as well. Maybe I'll bring home a new baby tomorrow...wish me luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast