Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Gun law questions

I believe it was Arizona that passed a law saying employees could keep personal firearms locked in their cars in company parking lots saying that employees cars are considered their personal property and company policy doesn't apply there.

My questions are about what might happen if PA passed a law like that (if there isn't one already on the books). Does PA allow concealed carry on your own property without a LTCF? If so, in the event that a similar law to the AZ one was on the books or was passed, does that mean you could OC inside your vehicle without a LTCF?

If a law like that states that the inside of your vehicle is your own property would that apply to carrying? Would it make the requirement for an LTCF in your vehicle pointless? If it didn't couldn't that be considered conflicting points of view?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Gun law questions

All the answers to your questions would depend on the specific wording of any new statute passed.

Regardless of the 'parking lot law', we need to work to get some kind of unlicensed vehicle carry legalized.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    . . . Does PA allow concealed carry on your own property without a LTCF? . . .
    No, not on your property in general, just in your place of abode or fixed place of business. That probably translates into the inside of your house, or anywhere on your business property; so concealed carry in your back yard isn't allowed, but anywhere on your family farm is probably OK if that's where you work.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

There's a body of case law dealing with apartment complexes and such, and it's kind of a crap shoot (common areas inside and outside are probably not OK for unlicensed CC); if you work on a highway project, that's not covered; if you work in a liquor store, that's probably OK; if you work as a carnival barker, then who knows.
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; January 3rd, 2010 at 12:48 AM.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There's a body of case law dealing with apartment complexes and such, and it's kind of a crap shoot (common areas inside and outside are probably not OK for unlicensed CC); if you work on a highway project, that's not covered; if you work in a liquor store, that's probably OK; if you work as a carnival barker, then who knows.
    Those are probably the three jobs I want the most. I'd do all three as long as it was no more than 40 hrs per week total. And it has to pay well.

Wink Re: Gun law questions

My philosophy as always been that I have the right and duty to defend myself..& my ole daddy said it like this...'better to carry and remain alive to be tried by 12 than get shot [while unarmed] and end up carried by six'.

He taught me to shoot and handle firearms responsibly at the age of about 6 or 7 and I did the same for both my boys yrs ago. I do now have a HCP but IF it didn't exist I'd still carry...& why not, since all the potential attackers will be carrying?