Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: VZ-58 questions

(Beaver County)

Default VZ-58 questions

most of what i know about this firearm comes via google, or via the forum's search feature...but still got a few questions

how close is it in ergonomics to an ak? the reason i ask is i can fondle an ak at a local gun store, but the only way i'm gonna find a vz is by ordering it in

how hard are the mag's to find? before i started lurking here (and yes i lurked for a while before joining) i used to think 3-4 was a good magazine count...let's say that since then that number has gone up slightly

has anyone ever dealt with czechpoint before and have any comments on the company and their quality?

any other bits of knowledge regarding the rifle would also be great...and if you've actually fired one and still prefer an ak or ar then feel free to say so and why (but please keep it to personal experience's and not "well i heard from my sister's husband's cousin's brother...)
    Last edited by RJT; April 12th, 2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: grammer fixin'

(Bucks County)

Default Re: VZ-58 questions

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    most of what i know about this firearm comes via google, or via the forum's search feature...but still got a few questions

how close is it in ergonomics to an ak? the reason i ask is i can fondle an ak at a local gun store, but the only way i'm gonna find a vz is by ordering it in

how hard are the mag's to find? before i started lurking here (and yes i lurked for a while before joining) i used to think 3-4 was a good magazine count...let's say that since then that number has gone up slightly

has anyone ever dealt with czechpoint before and have any comments on the company and their quality?

any other bits of knowledge regarding the rifle would also be great...and if you've actually fired one and still prefer an ak or ar then feel free to say so and why (but please keep it to personal experience's and not "well i heard from my sister's husband's cousin's brother...)
    i purchased the century vz58 clone for 600 bucks out the door right after the election and i'll try and answer your questions based on my experience.

1. The ergo's of the vz58 are some what similar to the AK but my vz58 feels lighter than my AK.

2. The vz58 has a milled receiver while most AK's are stamped

3. the vz58 has a little better accuracy

4. i purchased 4 vz58 mags plus an ammo pouch for 60 bucks from copes distributing but that was back in january so i don't know if they are still in stock. i have also seen the vz58 mags for sale at two local gunshops so they're out there but not as plentyful as Ak or AR mags.

5. from what i can tell czechpoint is selling vz58's and scorpion pistols produced by CZUSA. i've never heard of them until i clicked on your link, their prices seem fair since i just saw a scorpion pistol at a local shop for 719 and czechpoint as it priced at 599.

6. i'm happy with mine and so far it seems century did a decent job putting this rifle together.

7. i purchased mine at a shop called surplus city guns just outside of philly. i was in there saturday and he had 3 or 4 of the century vz58's in stock but i didn't bother to checkout prices. if you're within an hour drive or so of philly it might be worthwhile for you to drive down and check them out.