Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Promised Land State Park

The Bruce Lake Natural Area is very close to Promised Land park. It's about a 2.5 mile walk from rt 390. If your friend is into hiking, there are trails that lead from the park to the natural area. They can get pretty wet and are a little rough. The trail to Bruce Lake itself is pretty good, though. It's more of a road used by the rangers. And the eagle nest is located on the Lower Lake in the park.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SkullBone View Post
    The Bruce Lake Natural Area is very close to Promised Land park. It's about a 2.5 mile walk from rt 390. If your friend is into hiking, there are trails that lead from the park to the natural area. They can get pretty wet and are a little rough. The trail to Bruce Lake itself is pretty good, though. It's more of a road used by the rangers. And the eagle nest is located on the Lower Lake in the park.
    Thanks Skullbone, I'm not sure if she would be interested due to having young children.
    It does seem without a doubt something that my husband & I would enjoy.
    I would totally love to see a Eagle, that wasn't on TV or in a cage.
    I find their is nothing more relaxing then chilling out looking at nature and wildlife.
    Madame71- Bersa .380 Thunder & Ruger SR9

It's a nice park, Tootie and I have been there many times either to use the hiking trails or to swim in that 'frigid' lake. But all in all it really is a nice, well maintained park.

Don't know what else I can say except if you are coming up give us a shout, we are only 5 minutes away.

(Wayne County)

If you get the chance, bring binoculars or a spotting scope to view the eagles from the observation blind. Well worth the time.

If you are unaccustomed to hiking, the area (like most of this area) can be a bit rugged for some folks. Lots of rocks and wet patches.

Be cautious w/ bears if you hike in the more remote areas. A friend of mine and his wife were stalked for over two miles by a black bear about 4 - 5 years ago. Not enough to keep me away but, it is enough to make me pay attention more when hiking w/ my kids.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    It's a nice park, Tootie and I have been there many times either to use the hiking trails or to swim in that 'frigid' lake. But all in all it really is a nice, well maintained park.

Don't know what else I can say except if you are coming up give us a shout, we are only 5 minutes away.
    Thanks DC, I will surely keep that in mind.
    We sure need to get out once in a while and get back into what we used to do all the time.
    I'll drop ya PM if we decide to come up that way.
    I think it would be nice to meet another couple that have the same interests.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    If you get the chance, bring binoculars or a spotting scope to view the eagles from the observation blind. Well worth the time.

If you are unaccustomed to hiking, the area (like most of this area) can be a bit rugged for some folks. Lots of rocks and wet patches.

Be cautious w/ bears if you hike in the more remote areas. A friend of mine and his wife were stalked for over two miles by a black bear about 4 - 5 years ago. Not enough to keep me away but, it is enough to make me pay attention more when hiking w/ my kids.
    Without a doubt we'll bring the binoculars and our digital camera with x12 zoom. I love to show off our wildlife, to those that don't have the kind of wildlife that we have here.

Yikes, about your friend & his wife, I'll make sure to bring a whistle just incase.lol

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Madame71 View Post
    Thanks DC, I will surely keep that in mind.
    We sure need to get out once in a while and get back into what we used to do all the time.
    I'll drop ya PM if we decide to come up that way.

I think it would be nice to meet another couple that have the same interests.
    Please do so. There's a nice little restaurant up there that belongs to an old legion friend of my dads daughter. It really is a small world.

(Wayne County)

Check out www.eagleinstitute.org if you want some more places to watch eagles. There are eagles year around on the Lackawaxen river. I canoed it in late july and saw two different pairs. Passed by them within 30 feet of them but didn't have the camera on me. My girlfriend and I have taken many pictures of the eagles on that river, but I think she put them on a disk that I can't seem to find. I do, however, have a couple of shots of an eagle we saw on the Delaware river at it's confluence with Dingman's creek. These are from august.

(Monroe County)

I will for sure check that out. Thanks.
    What beautiful pics.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SkullBone View Post
    Check out www.eagleinstitute.org if you want some more places to watch eagles. There are eagles year around on the Lackawaxen river. I canoed it in late july and saw two different pairs. Passed by them within 30 feet of them but didn't have the camera on me. My girlfriend and I have taken many pictures of the eagles on that river, but I think she put them on a disk that I can't seem to find. I do, however, have a couple of shots of an eagle we saw on the Delaware river at it's confluence with Dingman's creek. These are from august.
    I saw what was probably that very same eagle, land right on 209 a few miles before Dingman's, to eat at some roadkill. My son and I stopped the car and watched it for about three minutes until it took off.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast