Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: First OC, Sorta

Default First OC, Sorta

I say sorta because when I was a police officer, well, being uniformed I carried in a regular duty rig but NEVER OC while off duty nor currently.

So, I'm out here in Colorado Elk hunting and with Elk and Mule deer come one other critter, Cougars. So, I'm riding up high upon mountains on my horse, rock ledges and other various ambush locations famous for mountain lions, no to mention ton's of black bears. Anyway, so I decide to carry my nice shiny Springfiled Custom Loaded .45acp Stainless Steel for personal protection. Kinda hard to get to my rifle in a rifle scabbard on the side of my horse.

Anyway, I'm back at the hotel and I'm unloading gear etc...and there are people from all over the country, Ky, PA, Tx, and yup, California. I am wearing a sweat shirt but its getting caught up on the butt of the pistol as I'm bending over, lifting etc...so I just lift it up and tuck it behind my sidearm.

One of the guys from Cali asked me if I'm from GA. I say no. I am in the Army and on leave, changing duty locations from GA to MD. We continue to chat a few minutes when a second Cali guy comes out and notices my hip and pistol. His eyes get all big, a questioning look and then OMG, he has a gun on his hip out in the open type stare. I chuckle and say
    You do realize that in Colorado, you can Open Carry a sidearm, locked and loaded, carry concealed with a license on your person, and have a loaded pistol in your vehicle without any license or permit? Both guys look at me like I'm crazy followed by "NO WAY DUDE!" I couldn't stop chuckling at the perfect "NO WAY DUDE" blurb that came out....so this launches into a conversation about carry and personal protection. Funny, none of them brought any handguns with them. Never thought about bears or cougars wanting their kill/gut pile and or how a long gun in scabbard is not exactly handy to get too in a hurry.
    Very good Experience...and Colorado has Castlie Doctrine but they call it

"Make my Day Law" LOL

So, thats my first Civilian OC situation...not bad and I might consider it as an option more often...but still like my CC...
    Last edited by customloaded; November 11th, 2009 at 12:39 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: First OC, Sorta

Hey guys,he liked it,he liked it.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Northampton County)

I would have LMAO at the "No way dude". I love to see the shock of, dare I say it, "FREEDOM" that people see when the interact with others from different areas of the country. PRICELESS!! Good story BTW
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Monroe County)

Seems like everytime someone who is part of the CC only crowd OC's, as soon as the realization hits that there are no burning buildings falling and no one waiting to take tazers to their sacks, suddenly it becomes a great option to have...

Good post man.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Seems like everytime someone who is part of the CC only crowd OC's, as soon as the realization hits that there are no burning buildings falling and no one waiting to take tazers to their sacks, suddenly it becomes a great option to have...

Good post man.
    You mean I'm not going to get tazed in my sack? Damn it! That was one of the draws to OC for me. Way to ruin it for the rest of us headcase!

im from GA an di have the accent to prove it :P

(Lancaster County)

Great story !! thanks for sharing !! Colorado is awesome

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    So, I'm out here in Colorado Elk hunting and with Elk and Mule deer come one other critter, Cougars. So, I'm riding up high upon mountains on my horse, rock ledges and other various ambush locations famous for mountain lions, no to mention ton's of black bears. Anyway, so I decide to carry my nice shiny Springfiled Custom Loaded .45acp Stainless Steel for personal protection. Kinda hard to get to my rifle in a rifle scabbard on the side of my horse.
    If you are a girl I have a marriage proposal typed up and ready to go.

Otherwise, sounds like you had a fantastic time!