Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 40 sw question

Default 40 sw question

So im reloading 175g lead alloy #2 from friendswood bullets single lube groove and im trying to hit the load power minimum for idpa of 125,000 powerfactor. anyway. the load data i got was for HS6 4.3 grains for 850 fps which would give me a power factor of 148750 but im worried about my sig 229 cycleing also the load data i have found from the one caliber one book book for 40 lists 180g hs6 loads goinf from a max of 5.2 to a max of 7.0 that seems alot of a spread for the max variances. anyone have any ideas on this load...

(Berks County)

Default Re: 40 sw question

Quote Originally Posted by Thebird View Post
    So im reloading 175g lead alloy #2 from friendswood bullets single lube groove and im trying to hit the load power minimum for idpa of 125,000 powerfactor. anyway. the load data i got was for HS6 4.3 grains for 850 fps which would give me a power factor of 148750 but im worried about my sig 229 cycleing also the load data i have found from the one caliber one book book for 40 lists 180g hs6 loads goinf from a max of 5.2 to a max of 7.0 that seems alot of a spread for the max variances. anyone have any ideas on this load...
    I'll look it up for you when I get home...I load the .40 S&W as well.
    I use Win231 (which I think is the same as hs6 (or was it hp38?)), but I'll check to be sure. I've been using 4.5g over the exact same bullet. I also used 4.3 with no issues whatsoever out of a Styer M40. The slide is pretty heavy on that weapon. I don't have a chrono (yet), so I can't verify fps for you....

That IS a huge spread...I'd VERY cautious about approaching 7.0! It's a high pressure cartridge to start with. I'm constantly checking my OAL as well, since bullet seating depth can really affect pressure of this round.

Default Re: 40 sw question

ya im watching the col at 1.125 im a fricken stickler on over all length. spend a good portion of my time setting that to perform exactly the same on all cartridges on my dillon 550.. also i have noticed a slight variance on my reloading. some charges coming out at 4.3 some at 4.4 to 4.5 do you think its a problem with my press? could be just the flake powder im using. but i know my dillon HATES IMR powder (extruded rod). so i always throw that short and trickle the needed for the rest..