Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Shattered Union - The Movie

For all those who don't know, Shattered Union is game released by 2k games in 2005. The basic premis is that America has split into 7 warring factions after DC is nuked. The game intro is below;

I've never played it, but have heard of it.

Anyway, I found this article earlier;

Bruckheimer to Adapt 'Shattered Union' Video Game

by Scott Weinberg Oct 27th 2009 // 11:15AM

Now how's this for a cool premise? "U.S. states secede from the U.S. and form their own governments that wage a civil war against each other after Washington, D.C., is wiped out in a nuclear blast and chaos ravages the nation." Sounds like it could make for a fairly novel action flick, eh? Well, as Variety informs us, that's the exact plot of a 2005 video game called Shattered Union. (Just because I've never heard of it doesn't mean it's not good. If you've played this one, leave us a mini-review in the comments section.)

The tale of a dystopian American Civil War Part II will come from producer Jerry Bruckheimer (don't act surprised), who in turn will entrust the adaptation to one J. Michael Straczynski. Serious genre fans know this gentleman as the co-creator of Babylon 5. He's written tons of TV, in addition to Eastwood's Changeling, plus he's got a metric ton of massive projects on the way, World War Z and Silver Surfer among them. The studio will be Disney, so don't expect a hardcore carnage-fest. I'm generally a fan of the Bruckheimer / Disney action conflagrations, and this one sure sounds like something I'd dig. Now hire Peter Berg to direct it.
    Interesting stuff.....
    Last edited by buster2209; November 2nd, 2009 at 01:17 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Shattered Union - The Movie

makes me wish for a Jericho comeback.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

The best part about the article is an upcoming World War Z movie... sweet. Never played the game, probably will not in the future. However, if it were to go down I would bet that Texas would secede first followed by Delaware...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Interesting how in 2005 this game came out and how there are similarities between their "predictions" and today's political climate

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    makes me wish for a Jericho comeback.
    I wish I had got into that show when it was still putting out new episodes. I saw a Jericho marathon on, I believe, Sci Fy about 7-8 months ago. Watched a few episodes, seemed like a really good show.

As for Shattered Union, that topic sounds really familiar, but I don't remember that name. Was there another game out a few years ago with a similar storyline?

(Philadelphia County)

I remember that game. Storyline was cool but it was a rather forgettable RTS. Yes, there was another similar game called Act of War; Direct Action. That one was pretty cool actually. Evil quasi-corporatist faction stages a bunch of terror attacks to drive up oil costs or some such thing. Think Haliburton with tanks.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Northampton County)

The tale of a dystopian American Civil War Part II
    Shouldn't that be American Civil War Part III?

(Montgomery County)

For those that are into 2nd Civil War scenarios, you should check out the series of graphic novels, DMZ, it's very good.