Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my 38 special

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: my 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Your off to a good start in being proactive in self-defense. Get over to the police or sheriff (not sure in Philly who issues) and get your LTCF going so you can legally carry. If your willing to hop on a train and get out this way I'm willing to pick you up at the local train station and get you on the range here. The only problem I see is how to legally carry it since you won't be in a car. Does anyone know if non-vehicle carry to and from the range is legal?
    The method of transportation is moot so long as it going to/from a range. On foot or wheels doesn't matter.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The method of transportation is moot so long as it going to/from a range. On foot or wheels doesn't matter.
    Thank you Knight. I assumed this was the deal but wasn't about to give info to a newbie on such an important issue based on my assumption.

So there we have it Antoine, if you want to do some cheap outdoor shooting and really get to know your gun, let's set up a weekend day and get to it!

(Chester County)

What kind of revolver did you get?

(Montgomery County)

I'll second what ErSwnn said in his first post.
    Learn how to shoot and then practice, practice, and then practice some more .

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Montgomery County)

Antoine- I got a small lock-box which is bolted to a closet shelf. It has an electric combo lock on the front door for quick access if needed and a key backup if the batteries go dead. The keypad has only 4 digits and I can easily open it in the dark.

I used to lock each gun separately but if I were burglarized they could just walk out with some locked guns. This way they have to rip the box/shelf out and don't know what's inside it anyway. Not perfect but more time consuming.

Inside the box are my 3 "range" guns, the ones I take out infrequently. The bulk of my ammo is locked in a box in another room.

For defense I carry a small 9mm and at night I stash it, less magazine, in the night stand. The loaded magazine is hidden away separately but easily accessible to me.

We have a 12yo living with us so I never leave the gun and ammunition together, much less loaded, if I'm not carrying it or in the same room with them. (i.e. either the gun or ammo is locked up if I'm not there.)

If you want to transport the gun and ammo to a range via public transit, and avoid the possibility of a problem from law enforcement, I suggest you lock the gun - padlock thru cylinder or frame - or carry the gun in the box it came in and lock that.

Modern revolvers are very safe as far as discharging if dropped. Many use a 'transfer bar' mechanism which leaves a gap between the hammer and firing pin. (The bar rises up into position only when the trigger is pulled and the impact is conveyed to the firing pin - hammer hits transfer bar, which hits firing pin, which hits primer which ignites powder...)

I strongly recommend a holster whether IWB, OWB or pocket. If the gun is small try a pocket holster. Aside from the snagging-when-drawn problem you have a chance of getting lint, dust, dirt, paper clip, or anything else a pocket can hold into the revolver's exposed mechanism.

Think Murphy's law: if it can prevent the gun from working, it will prevent the gun from working... and at the worst possible time.

Well, that was surprisingly long winded Best of luck to you. Be safe.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I CAN'T HELP YOU UNLESS YOU USE PUNCTUATION.

**smashes head through monitor and breaks keyboard across teeth**

LMAO! I'd rep you if I could! Hope you, and 'puter, heal real soon.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Lycoming County)

Good evening:

I just saw these posts and wanted to complement those owners recommending safe practices and responsible ownership. These are no surprises, as I've come to know some PA gun owners, but always good to see helpful "reach-outs" to us newbies.

Best regards'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12