Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Detroit clergy arming themselves

In Detroit, pastors bringing pistols to the pulpit

Clergymen in the nation's homicide capital say it's up to them to protect parishioners in church.

By Corey Williams
    Associated Press

Here are some excerpts. Full story at http://www.philly.com/inquirer/world_us/68146842.html

DETROIT - The Rev. Lawrence Adams teaches his flock at the Westside Bible Church to turn the other cheek. Just in case, though, the 54-year-old retired police lieutenant also wears a handgun under his robe.

Responding to a break-in at his church on a Sunday evening, Adams surprised a burglar carrying out a bag of loot and shot the man in the abdomen after the man swung the bag at him.
    The burglar survived - for which Adams is grateful - but the pastor said he could have been hurt or killed if he had not been armed.

Prior to 2000, anyone who wanted to carry a concealed weapon in Michigan had to show a need to do so. Now, gun owners simply have to pass a stringent background check and complete eight hours of handgun training.

"I get people from all walks of life, including pastors," said Rick Ector, owner of Rick's Firearm Academy in Detroit. "But it's not anything specific to pastors. Detroit is not a very safe place."

Michigan allows pastors to decide if someone registered to carry a handgun can do so for protection inside churches.

"I don't know what kind of issues people are bringing with them. You could be running from an estranged husband, boyfriend," said Bishop Charles Ellis III, pastor of the 6,500-member Greater Grace Temple in Detroit.
    Ellis said he sometimes carries a gun, but never in the pulpit. His church has a "ministry of defense" for Sunday services made up of about 18 armed congregants who are off-duty law enforcement officers.

"In our country, it says in due process that you may bear arms to protect yourself. While we should be committed to trusting God, that doesn't prevent us or command us to be totally passive," Wiggins said.

"It discourages the crazies from acts of violence if they see uniforms around, but I don't want everybody bringing guns," Meredith said.

The Rev. William Revely, who sometimes wears his .357-caliber handgun while preaching at the Holy Hope Heritage Church in Detroit, does not worry whether it might be wrong for a man of God to carry a firearm in church.

"I've always felt that the only way to handle a bear in a bear meeting is to have something you can handle a bear with," said the 68-year-old pastor, who practices at a gun range with another pastor. "We have to be realistic. I know too many people who've been shot, carjacked."

Adams said that most - if not all - of Westside's 50 members had supported his actions after encountering the burglar.

"People want to look at Christians and the church as believers in God and ask, 'Why doesn't God protect you?' " Adams said. "The reality is God has given man free will. We have to use our God-given talents and protect ourselves."

8 hours of training? Sounds like a lot more than the basic safety course.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(York County)

Default Re: Detroit clergy arming themselves

Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Luzerne County)

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed by thy aim......

Yep. Let he who has no sword go and buy one.
    The real answer is 42.

(Schuylkill County)

A shepard must protect his flock... with a Glock
    III%

(York County)

I wonder if the read the gospel according to Smith & Wesson?
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka