Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Sunset Hill Shooting Range, two thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Really? That looks like a magazine to me.
    Don't they train you guys on proper terminology when you get hired at SSunset Hill?

Rep sent...
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Oh please let me in on this complaint, if someone has a problem with me I would like very much that the person confront me with it. Not coward behind other board members and pass false information. About the range, I visited it on a Friday afternoon. The place was like a ghost town when I got there. Except for a small group of people shooting trap we were the only other people using the facilities. Anyway it's easy for me to avoid the New Yorker's, I just go early on Friday. Which isn't hard since I am off on Fridays.
    Just search Sunset Hill and you should find the thread. I think you should perhaps reread what I posted. When you do that I believe you see that having a problem with you was never stated.

If you wish to call it cowarding then so be it. I strongly dissagree with that but you are entitled to your opinion just as I am about Sunset.

I stand on my opinion of that not being safe as I have seen people holding guns sideways looking at them when people are on the side of them.

I did not mind it about 25 years ago when the old man Antoine had it along with the 100 yard rifle ranges. At that time you did not have the weekend warriors coming up who shoot a couple times a year.

I hope you continue to enjoy Sunset and Happy Halloween!

(Pike County)

Don't they train you guys on proper terminology when you get hired at SSunset Hill?
    No reason to be smart about it.

I am new to this and sometimes I mix up the terms magazine and clip, I am working on it.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; October 31st, 2009 at 07:32 PM.

+1 on the rep.

(Monroe County)

Sunset hills is what it is. It isn't the best place I have ever been, and it isn't the worst. A couple of the ROs are very friendly and stay off your shadow, and a couple, especially one, are ginormous asswipes who literally breath on your neck. If you want to shoot your rifle, it is this place, a SGL range, or a private club, make your choice.

As far as safety, if the place is full, odds are it is full because inexperienced, never touched a gun before, people are there. If it is relatively empty, odds are the locals are using it. The relaxed ROs make the place fairly safe, while the asswipes make it more dangerous, because they make even experienced shooters nervous and aggravated.

I know of at least one RO that died while removing a firearm from storage, and I think there was another a few years back, so that doesn't speak well for the RO training mindset, and if that is lacking, well, I will not go there when they are supposed to be taming the homeboys...

No reason to get crazy defending or bad mouthing the place, recognize it for what it is, a tourist attraction on the weekends and everyday in the summer, and a good deal on weekdays the rest of the time, and make your decisions accordingly.

My $.02

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    No reason to be smart about it.

I am new to this and sometimes I mix up the terms magazine and clip, I am working on it.
    You're right, I apologize.

Search around the forum for sunset threads and you will see what the real scoop is. I think headcase gave a pretty unbiased review, it's on point.

The second incident Headcase mentioned, an employee "shot himself in the head while cleaning his handgun" last year, then "walked several miles along the road way with a gaping and bleeding head wound, where he collapsed and then died in the woods right next to his house". All the while in the miles he walked home, staggering, holding his head, covered in blood, nobody spotted him, and no calls to 911 were made. Take it for what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    Just search Sunset Hill and you should find the thread. I think you should perhaps reread what I posted. When you do that I believe you see that having a problem with you was never stated.

If you wish to call it cowarding then so be it. I strongly dissagree with that but you are entitled to your opinion just as I am about Sunset.

I stand on my opinion of that not being safe as I have seen people holding guns sideways looking at them when people are on the side of them.

I did not mind it about 25 years ago when the old man Antoine had it along with the 100 yard rifle ranges. At that time you did not have the weekend warriors coming up who shoot a couple times a year.

I hope you continue to enjoy Sunset and Happy Halloween!
    I found a few threads but it didn't have the information I was looking for. If the range is dangerous I didn't see any signs on it. Like I indicated in my previous post the range was nearly empty when I visited, the few people that were using the range were at the opposite end of the range shooting trap. Secondly I had two guys that worked at the range hovering around the whole time I was shooting. Anyway I would never come to the range when it's crowded, I like coming on the days when few people will be using the facilities. Friday morning/afternoon are the likely time I would visit.

Thanks for for sharing, if I misunderstood anything you said I am truly sorry.

Edit: My apologizes for being rude, Happy Halloween.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; October 31st, 2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Problems resolved.

Here's the list of previous "problems with Sunset threads":

http://forum.pafoa.org/ranges-18/726...l-morning.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/ranges-18/303...l-take-ii.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/ranges-18/244...hite-arse.html

You may have had a great time this time, we did too but sooner or later one of these asswipe "up your ass" RO's are going to show you what the place is really like. It runs about 70% bad / 30% bad

Take it from people that have been going there for quite some time. We still go once in a while but NEVER on weekends and only when we are so desperate to shoot it's not funny ... and that's from people that live literally 10 minutes from it.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Sunset hills is what it is. It isn't the best place I have ever been, and it isn't the worst. A couple of the ROs are very friendly and stay off your shadow, and a couple, especially one, are ginormous asswipes who literally breath on your neck. If you want to shoot your rifle, it is this place, a SGL range, or a private club, make your choice.

As far as safety, if the place is full, odds are it is full because inexperienced, never touched a gun before, people are there. If it is relatively empty, odds are the locals are using it. The relaxed ROs make the place fairly safe, while the asswipes make it more dangerous, because they make even experienced shooters nervous and aggravated.

I know of at least one RO that died while removing a firearm from storage, and I think there was another a few years back, so that doesn't speak well for the RO training mindset, and if that is lacking, well, I will not go there when they are supposed to be taming the homeboys...

No reason to get crazy defending or bad mouthing the place, recognize it for what it is, a tourist attraction on the weekends and everyday in the summer, and a good deal on weekdays the rest of the time, and make your decisions accordingly.

My $.02
    See that was a creative and useful write up on the place, thank you. I have no links to this place other than being a customer. When I visited it was quite, the people were calm, and no one was doing anything stupid. Granted I only visited once so that might change.

I chose this range because I though it was my only option, other than the SGL ranges which suck IMO. I have 2-3 private clubs that I filed away I might check them out, but if you or anyone else would like to list a few more that have reasonable rates I would be grateful it.

You're right, I apologize.

Search around the forum for sunset threads and you will see what the real scoop is. I think headcase gave a pretty unbiased review, it's on point.

The second incident Headcase mentioned, an employee "shot himself in the head while cleaning his handgun" last year, then "walked several miles along the road way with a gaping and bleeding head wound, where he collapsed and then died in the woods right next to his house". All the while in the miles he walked home, staggering, holding his head, covered in blood, nobody spotted him, and no calls to 911 were made. Take it for what it is.
    Edit:

Don't worry about it, I am sorry if I was rude also.

Those are some serious problems what I don't understand is how they are open if the place is so dangerous.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; October 31st, 2009 at 09:53 PM.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Here's the list of previous "problems with Sunset threads":

http://forum.pafoa.org/ranges-18/726...l-morning.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/ranges-18/303...l-take-ii.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/ranges-18/244...hite-arse.html

You may have had a great time this time, we did too but sooner or later one of these asswipe "up your ass" RO's are going to show you what the place is really like. It runs about 70% bad / 30% bad

Take it from people that have been going there for quite some time. We still go once in a while but NEVER on weekends and only when we are so desperate to shoot it's not funny ... and that's from people that live literally 10 minutes from it.
    I guess I will need to find some private club, recommendations?
    Last edited by LifeInPa; October 31st, 2009 at 09:54 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast