Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Four shifts and still can't catch up

http://news.aol.com/article/bullet-s...e-in-us/684136

NEW ORLEANS (Sept. 23) - American bullet-makers are working around the clock, seven days a week, and still can't keep up with the nation's demand for ammunition.
    Shooting ranges, gun dealers and bullet manufacturers say they have never seen such shortages. Bullets, especially for handguns, have been scarce for months because gun enthusiasts are stocking up on ammo, in part because they fear President Barack Obama and the Democratic-controlled Congress will pass antigun legislation — even though nothing specific has been proposed and the president last month signed a law allowing people to carry loaded guns in national parks.
    Skip over this content

Judi Bottoni, AP
    The National Rifle Association says Americans typically buy about 7 billion rounds of ammunition a year; in the past twelve months, that number has jumped to roughly 9 billion rounds, according to the gun rights group.

Gun sales spiked when it became clear Obama would be elected a year ago and purchases continued to rise in his first few months of office. The FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System reported that 6.1 million background checks for gun sales were issued from January to May, an increase of 25.6 percent from the same period the year before.
    "That is going to cause an upswing in ammunition sales," said Larry Keane, senior vice president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a trade association representing about 5,000 members. "Without bullets a gun is just a paper weight."
    The shortage for sportsmen is different than the scarcity of ammo for some police forces earlier this year, a dearth fueled by an increase in ammo use by the military in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    "We are working overtime and still can't keep up with the demand," said Al Russo, spokesman for North Carolina-based Remington Arms Company, which makes bullets for rifles, handguns and shotguns. "We've had to add a fourth shift and go 24-7. It's a phenomenon that I have not seen before in my 30 years in the business."
    Americans usually buy about 7 billion rounds of ammunition a year, according to the National Rifle Association. In the past year, that figure has jumped to about 9 billion rounds, said NRA spokeswoman Vickie Cieplak.
    Jason Gregory, who manages Gretna Gun Works just outside of New Orleans, has been building his personal supply of ammunition for months. His goal is to have at least 1,000 rounds for each of his 25 weapons.
    "I call it the Obama effect," said Gregory, 37. "It always happens when the Democrats get in office. It happened with Clinton and Obama is even stronger for gun control. Ammunition will be the first step, so I'm stocking up while I can."
    So far, the new administration nor Congress has not been markedly antigun. Obama has said he respects Second Amendment rights, but favors "common sense" on gun laws. Still, worries about what could happen persist.
    Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
    2009-09-23 14:59:36
    Shooting is, as it has always been, the fabric of America!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Four shifts and still can't catch up

I'd more than gladly pick up some shifts at their plants if they had one here. I could use the work.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    I'd more than gladly pick up some shifts at their plants if they had one here. I could use the work.
    Heck I'd apply for a job in a heartbeat if they opened an ammunition plant out here.

(Lancaster County)

They really should open more. We have more guns owned now than ever before and people are going to want to shoot AND keep their stash, and people are BEGGING for work these days. They could retool lots of factories and darn near fix the unemployment situation and the economy all at once. If brass and lead get too expensive we can just use steel and aluminum. If the Russians and Chinese make steelcore, why can't we? We need American made products that Americans will buy, and it doesn't get any plainer that we want to make and buy ammo.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    They really should open more. We have more guns owned now than ever before and people are going to want to shoot AND keep their stash, and people are BEGGING for work these days. They could retool lots of factories and darn near fix the unemployment situation and the economy all at once. If brass and lead get too expensive we can just use steel and aluminum. If the Russians and Chinese make steelcore, why can't we? We need American made products that Americans will buy, and it doesn't get any plainer that we want to make and buy ammo.
    The problem with the steel core ammo is it could be considered armor piercing. Now if it was some sort of compressed steel kinda like the frangibles I don't see a problem.

Using steel and aluminum for ready made practice ammo would be a good idea. Free up a lot of brass for the match grade ammo and for handloaders.

Maybe if the FFA gets passed, they'll consider opening a plant out here. I think Easton would be a great place for it. Within a short drive of my house would be even better.

There are a lot of empty industrial buildings out here. I'm sure they could get ahold of one or two for pretty cheap.