Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q's about AK's

(Berks County)

Question Q's about AK's

".223 chambered AK variant. "Ivonka" is Hesse built but with parts of from Bulgaria. It takes the Polish Tantal mags, or the Bulgarian mags. Has a 74 style muzzle brake on and comes with a 20rd mag. Never had a jam or any problems out."
    I'm looking to purchase but I have no real knowledge of AK's. I heard that the welded receivers from Hesse tend to wear out a lot faster that riveted or milled receivers. Looks good from the pictures, I can't tell what trigger it has but I'm guessing the dual arm. Could it reliably take 5.56 NATO rounds even if the receiver is stamped .223? He said he's done it but could I constantly do it if I wanted? Anyone know how easy/hard it is to find mags for the .223 Ak's and how much they usually are or where to get them? I'm asking because I don't want to get ripped off and buy a POS that isn't going to last or is going to be a nightmare to find parts for. It's ok if it's a cheaper version but as long as it would be reliable. Thanks in advance!
    So ya, Thought ya, Might like to Go to the show

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Q's about AK's

What is the draw to have a .223 AK? Take an accurate cartridge and fire it out of a less accurate rifle?

You could buy a 5.45x39mm AK (Polish Tantal) and get cases of ammo for 1/3rd the price of .223 that for all intents and purposes funtion extremely similarly when comparing military ball ammo. Mags are rarer, and more expensive too.

I have no idea why they exist. Or why anyone would want one.

If you have a 5.45x39mm AK, and a 7.62x39mm AK, and an AR15, and every other variation of those rifles you could ever possibly want... and you just HAVE to HAVE one. Sure, go for it.

IMO that is the LAST AK on earth I would buy. And that includes the ones that are hand built by 8 y/o's using cave man parts in the gun market strip mall in Pakistan...

(Monroe County)

AK's should be 7.62x39 ONLY!! dammit..
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Berks County)

Well I'd prefer to get a 7.62x39mm AK($500) but this one I thought was a good price($375) and plus .223 ammo is plentiful and cheap where I am. Not to mention I haven't seen any 5.45x39mm ammo on any shelves. Is that gun really that bad? Everyone always wants something better but sometimes you settle for whats in front of you at the time. The 2 guns I already have weren't my first choice but if I had to go back and do it again I would choose the same ones for the simple fact I got them a great price(both $100 bucks less than usual $200 less than new) and they are serving me well.

(Monroe County)

For $500 your gonna get a POS WASR, I can't imagine what your gonna get for $375....

Save up for a Saiga then have it converted..
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

If you are going to buy a Hesse, just flush your money down the drain.

(Berks County)

well he originally wanted $600obo but he dropped the price over a few weeks to $375. He says he really needs money in a bad way and that's why he's selling. I added some pics too. I just want to know if there is a real problem with them or if everyone just treats them like hi points or anything else that isn't a big name brand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JonnyBeGood86; September 22nd, 2009 at 12:55 AM.

Hesse = POS. Just look it up. Don't learn the hard way. This guy doesn't need money THAT bad. He is ditching a Hesse turd.

(Berks County)

I'm starting to see that as I'm researching while this thread is going. It's like the Geo Metro of the gun world.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah I'm sorry, but I have to stand my ground on this "good deal". Hesse built aside, WHY, would anyone want to shoot .223 out of an AK?

It just doesn't make sense. Like shooting .50cal BMG out of a sling shot.

If you can't find 5.45x39mm near you, behold, the internet.

www.gun-deals.com

As to .223 being cheap. Define cheap? 5.45x39mm is almost rimfire cheap. And is going to be the same as .223 out of an AK. I JUST looked, and it can still be had for $0.13-14 a round. That's half the price of steel cased .223, 1/4 the price of bulk brass, and 1/5 the price of anything on the middle shelf.

Actually that's so damn cheap I might just go buy a freakin' Tantal so I can go blast my way through winter on the cheap.

I'm all about a good deal like the rest of them. But the extra $100-150 here is going to pay off not only in ammo costs, but quality. If Hesse touched it, it's a turd. The receiver sounds like whack shit on concept alone. If they built it, even worse.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast