Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Cabela's Visa card

In the very near future, I'll have all of the debts from my credit reports paid off. A big problem I'm having is that I do not have anything positive being reported towards my credit scores.

I have a cell phone but was told that that isn't reported unless it's for not paying it. I don't have any loans or other credit cards so I need something to help boost my credit rating.

My question is, how is the Cabela's Visa card? Any bizarre stuff I should know about? How does the points thing work?

I don't plan on maxing it out right away. There are a couple of things I need to get taken care of that are a bit out of range for taking out of a paycheck.

I want to take care of those couple of things (no more than a couple hundred dollars total) and have my cell phone bill charge automatically to the card. I'll pay the amount for my cell phone plus whatever the minimum payment required for that month is (including the cell phone on the total).

I just need something positive on my credit reports because if I keep things the way they are, my scores will never go up.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Cabela's Visa card

Why not at your young age just pay everything off, build at least a 6 month emergency fund and also start a savings/retirement account that you don`t dip into. Once you reached that goal shop for a card with the lowest interest/terms (not just introductory rate)
    Is there a mortgage or something in the near future that you are in a hurry? Lenders know if they issue a card people will inevitable use it. Live a philosophy that it you can`t pay cash you don`t need it. Once you are totally established debt free then go for a card to only use for instances where they are necessary for security(online, etc.) but even then add that extra layer wit paypal.

(Franklin County)

Right... don't use "I need to build my credit score" as an excuse for going into debt. Saving to buy something is far better than going into debt for it. A good credit score can be built by low level buying and paying off each month. That said, Cabela's is probably not the 'best' card... there are regular ratings published... I personally like a "cash back" reward... don't need points, just give me the money (Discover Card, for one).

(Lehigh County)

The Cabela's Visa card is issued by US Bank and has very little to do with Cabela's. One of the businesses that US Bank is in, is to issue credit cards in the name of businesses out there.

(Monroe County)

The Cabelas card is NOT issues from US Bank anymore. it is issued by 'The Worlds Foremost Bank' which is Cabela's bank. they stopped issuing US Bank cards a while ago

https://www.wfbcds.com/contactus.jsp

Their interest rate is pretty average, at last increase I believe its around 16%.

Points are really weak compared to a lot of others - 1% on all charges (1.00 / 100.00 spent) and 2% on Cabelas purchases (2.00 on 100.00 spent).

If you are seriously considering using a credit card for planned purchases that you can't pay off by the time the bill is due you are an idiot, there is no nice way to say it.

I use my credit card for everything and then pay it off at the end of the month every month, i get the points, which normally adds up to a few bucks a month and then I pay it off, never carry a balance, it will screw you over something fierce.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Perry County)

I find the credit union (PSECU) to have a very good card. Not loaded with any backdoor fees. They aren't out to 'get you' like most of the card companies.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I find the credit union (PSECU) to have a very good card. Not loaded with any backdoor fees. They aren't out to 'get you' like most of the card companies.
    PSECU is by far the best CU to be associated with imho. I don't have a credit card through them though, only a debit card
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Armstrong County)

I just got a one a few months ago. I had a USAirways miles card, that was worthless to me lately. i got it a long time ago when i was doing alot of traveling and snowboarding. it deff made it worth it then, but i dont heal like i used to so snowboarding has taken a back seat in the winter.

My dad has had the Cabela's card for quit some time. He never had a problem. They have even called to verify some large purchases thinking the ID theft.

My thought procces is save up for what your want, charge the purchase, collect your "points", pay off your car on the next statement.

Unhappy Re: Cabela's Visa card

I got the Cabela's card over here when they opened a store in Richfield Wisconsin. Big mistake. I was watching for the first bill to pay it off, it did not come in the first month, that did not surprize me. However I finally got the first bill, the second bill, and pay up now bill 9 weeks after the purchase. I paid the bill off and canceled the card I don't need that kind of thing. I have since heard of a lot of the people that got there cards when I did had the same problem and a lot canceled. I now have a cables club card that saves points but is not a credit card and I like it. Those points are gun points
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Washington County)

Why do you need a credit score? It only goes to show you are either in debt, or will pay owed debt off.

Need a mortgage? Get a better rate from a manual underwriter.

Need a cell phone? Buy it yourself, you have a better say over your account when you deal with the company.

Need a car? WTF? Go plop down some cash and get a slightly used one. Only suckers and the rich buy new vehicles for their entire lives (and yes, I already payed my stupid tax on that one)

Need insurance? Call up geico and have them look at your driving record. You'll get better rates if you arent a psyco on the road.

Basically, any time some company asks for your social security number, they are looking up your credit report, instead of doing the legwork and seeing if you are employed and can pay it off.

www.daveramsey.com <- you need to listen to this man. It works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast