Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pawn Shops

(Dauphin County)

Default Pawn Shops

Anyone know of any pawn shops in PA? Harrisburg is the closest city to me, and I'm pretty sure there are none there. I keep hearing about all the great deals people get there, and I can't find one for the life of me. Thanks!

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Pawn Shops

I don't visit pawn shops but there are a lot in Philly (of course!) and one in Allentown and Scranton I believe.

(Northampton County)

There are a few in and around Easton but not one of them sells firearms. Which is odd to me because in Arizona, every pawn shop sells some sort of guns.

(Allegheny County)

Any pawn shops in Pittsburgh, PA that deals in guns?

Pawn shops can be pretty hit or miss. I have notice that many of the "chain" pawn shops have taken to selling their firearms online, like all the "pawns of America" or whatever sell them online. I've noticed some pawnshops really try to rip people off, and some that have no idea what they're selling and want to just get rid of them for a bit more than what they paid.

I wouldn't advise buying firearms from pawn shops unless you know EXACTLY what you're looking at. You should know how to check the crown, chamber, roughly check the bore, and lots of other things. There's quite a few ways to determine the way a firearm has been treated and used just by the wear on them. Either way, you have to be careful or you don't be getting much of a deal and more like they just played you for a sucker.

(Lebanon County)

Pawn shops in PA don't sell guns AFAIK because it is illegal to loan money on a gun in PA. I do wish we could change that as my old collection, which I wish I never sold was full of really sweet stuff bought at pawn shops back home in San Antonio. One of my "if I win the lottery dreams" would be to go down Military Drive in San Antonio hitting every pawn shop, and there are (or were) easily more than 20 and all of them have guns.

I suppose it is possible to have a pawn shop and a gun shop in the same business location which buys and sells but does not loan on guns, but I am not familiar with any.

ETA: And the owner had better be a damn good record keeper.

(a) Offense defined.--No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
    (b) Exception.--
    (1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
    (i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).
    (ii) The person who receives the firearm is exempt from licensing.
    (iii) The person who receives the firearm is engaged in a hunter safety program certified by the Pennsylvania Game Commission or a firearm training program or competition sanctioned or approved by the National Rifle Association.
    (iv) The person who receives the firearm meets all of the following:
    (A) Is under 18 years of age.
    (B) Pursuant to section 6110.1 (relating to possession of firearm by minor) is under the supervision, guidance and instruction of a responsible individual who:
    (I) is 21 years of age or older; and
    (II) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under section 6105 (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms).
    (v) The person who receives the firearm is lawfully hunting or trapping and is in compliance with the provisions of Title 34 (relating to game).
    (vi) A bank or other chartered lending institution is able to adequately secure firearms in its possession.
    (2) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the transfer of a firearm under 20 Pa.C.S. Ch. 21 (relating to intestate succession) or by bequest if the individual receiving the firearm is not precluded from owning or possessing a firearm under section 6105.
    (3) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the loaning or giving of a firearm to another in one's dwelling or place of business if the firearm is retained within the dwelling or place of business.
    (4) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the relinquishment of firearms to a third party in accordance with 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping).
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Allegheny County)

Well as long as the pawn shop owner has a LTCF I believe he should fall under the exceptions... or am I reading that totally wrong?

(Allegheny County)

Ive seem guns in pon shops in PGH.

when I was little growing up on the north side their where a couple on East Ohio Street. IIRC they dont sell guns anymore, I called and they said they got robbed for them too much, and it was too much trouble.

I forget the name but try the one in Rankin.

I would just google "Pittsburgh Pawn Shops" and make a few phone calls.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    Pawn shops in PA don't sell guns AFAIK because it is illegal to loan money on a gun in PA.
    I don't know about the loaning money on a gun part, but I do know the Pawn shop near me sells guns. These might have been sold to them though and not loaned on.

I would not buy a gun from a pawn shop simply because they over inflate the price. The guy near me had a Type 99 Arisaka last ditch rifle, as it had the fixed rear sight, cast bolt, wooden buttplate and very crude welds and machining. It was rigged into some kind of half ass deer rifle because the stock was cut down and filed on etc. The guy wanted over $400.00 for it. When I wasked why such a high price, he gave me some BS line about it being such a rare historic piece, etc. When I told him it was not "so rare" , and that since it was Jerry rigged it wasn't worth nearly as much as it would had it been left alone. The guy suddenly stopped his act when he realized I obviously knew more about the gun than he did. His $400 plus gun was only worth about $125.00 tops. I walked out of there and never went back.
    Last edited by Poonie; September 21st, 2009 at 08:01 AM.

(Bucks County)

pawn shops that sell guns are a rare breed in PA but you find a lot of pawn shops down south that sell guns. i've been in a few pawn shops that had every bit as good a selection of firearms as the best gun shops around and then there's pawn shops that have nothing but over priced junk. if you live in PA forget about buying or finding good deals on guns at pawm shops. there are a lot of great gun shops in PA that have great selections and prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast