Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Was I in the wrong???

I had just got off of work and I stopped at the gas station on my way to talk to my friend who worked there about a car he has for sale.

I was OCing with a open top holster, with my shirt tucked in. I would rather have a thumb break holster but haveing quite a hard time finding one.

Well back to the story....

I was standing there leaning on the counter talking to him, when I heard the door open up behind me. I stand up to see who it is and its a guy that lives down the road from me, he has know me my whole life and actually grew up with my dad. Well when I seen it was him I told him " hi" to which he replys " how you doin tonight?" I moved down the counter alittle and turned back around and leaned up against the counter again.

This is when I feel someone tring to un-holster my gun,I automatically grab what I can of my pistol with my left hand and give the person behind me a nice right elbow ( I carry on my right side ). I move over to the left and few good step and as im moving to turn to face this person and it turns out to be same guy that I had just said hi to. I said " Buddy what the hell is wrong with you " as the guy is standing there tring to catch his breath holding the center of his chest ( I guess I knocked the wind out of him, hit him alittle harder then I thought ) he says to me " I was just messing with you, you cant carry a gun like that anyway. "

I just tell him " Well there is this little thing called the 2nd amendment that says I can, and im pretty sure there isnt one that says you can try and dis-arm me, no matter what you think in your head is right or wrong. "

He was kinda dumb-founded and didnt know what to say after that.

I just made my way out the door and left after that. My adrenaline was pumping so bad at this point. I figured it would be better to leave before something else happened.I talked my friend later that night and he said the guy was shocked about my reaction.

I try to educate people when ever I can, I like to think that im a very patient person. I just have a feeling that anybody on here would of done the same thing if they was in my shoes the other night when this happened.

BTW : I never completely drawed my pistol, when i turned back around I did have a full grip on it, but I re-holstered.I made sure there was plently of distance between me and him before I took my hand off my pistol. And when I stepped to the left I ended up in a corner with now where to go, I couldnt of went to my right because he was to my right about 3 or 4 o'clock

And should I stop at his house and talk about this with him? Or should I just let it ride? IMO I think I handled it the best way I could of. The only reason I turned my back to him when he walked in was because I knew him and didnt think he was a threat. If it would of been someone I didnt know, they would of never left my line of sight.

And as I sit here and re-read this to check on it, I feel like there was something else I should of said or done but at the time I didnt know what to do, never had it happen to me and I guess " Fight or Flight " set in.

I plan on taking a retention class ASAP.any information anyone could give me on a class in my area ( south west fayette county / uniontown area ) would be greatly appreciated.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Was I in the wrong???

Not only were you not in the wrong, IMHO, you showed incredible restraint. Well done.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

WOW!

WTF is wrong with some people (the gun grabber)? He was completely out of line. Your reaction was correct in my opinion. Elbow to the chest of a potential threat...fast thinking and action.

I would suggest that you don't OC again until you get some type of retention holster...gotta watch out for those Mt. Braddock and Lemont boys who wanna grab your gun

For all I know you may be from one of those places... just making a local joke

As far as talking to the guy...may be a good idea to educate him so next time he doesn't get shot or punched in the head... if he's dumb enough to ever try that again with anybody

Sir, you did exceptionally well. I applaud you and I encourage you to get and take training...as you already mentioned. Any person who willingly tries to take the gun from another is, in fact, attempting to use deadly force against the person carrying said gun. Your neighbor is a very lucky man that you did not draw and shoot him. I believe, you would have been cleared if infact, you had shot him.

Awesome Post!!! Rep to ya!

(Westmoreland County)

You handled yourself quite well. I applaud you for seeking out a retention class. Good job and good post.

(Allegheny County)

Well done, especially without any formal retention training. I would like to think I would do the same thing.

As far as talking to him about it, I'm not sure I guess it depends on if you want to remain friends or fall into aquaintances.

(Monroe County)

1) take a retention class as soon as possible.

2) as stated above you showed amazing restraint. He's lucky he only got the wind knocked out of him, next time whip your head around as you elbow so you can get better aim on your shot and hit the side of the jaw. With a turning elbow like that your gonna break it on him. When he is sucking liquids through a straw just remind him what a "shitty joke to play on someone".

(Cumberland County)

Well done..

Not that that is the same but what would that same guy if he had a good friend that is a cop on/off duty and he did the same to him how do you think that cop should act?

if there any sorry to be said let him give it to you. That is how I would handle it..

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by randyc187 View Post

This is when I feel someone tring to un-holster my gun,I automatically grab what I can of my pistol with my left hand and give the person behind me a nice right elbow ( I carry on my right side ). I move over to the left and few good step and as im moving to turn to face this person and it turns out to be same guy that I had just said hi to. I said " Buddy what the hell is wrong with you " as the guy is standing there tring to catch his breath holding the center of his chest ( I guess I knocked the wind out of him, hit him alittle harder then I thought ) he says to me " I was just messing with you, you cant carry a gun like that anyway. "

I would have said "You sure as hell can't go around grabbing at other peoples property either."

And should I stop at his house and talk about this with him? Or should I just let it ride? IMO I think I handled it the best way I could of. The only reason I turned my back to him when he walked in was because I knew him and didnt think he was a threat. If it would of been someone I didnt know, they would of never left my line of sight.

You mentioned that this guy grew up with your father? I would not "just let it ride". I would stop by his house and talk it over with him, un-armed of course. If you have his phone number you could call him and set up a meeting in a nuetral location. Take the time to educate him, that is if he is receptive to the idea.
    This is a fucked up situation. I would have acted in a very similar manner. I hope no one ever tries to take my pistol off my hip, screwing around or otherwise. I know I would have been very pissed at first.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lawrence County)

You handled that very well and probably better that I would have...If he is a friend of the family you could always go down and explain your position but you owe NO apology, I think that you are owed one. He probably would not have done it if he didn't know you, now he knows you alittle better.

Good Job

knighted4

ARTICLE l SECTION 21
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
    What part of this DON'T you understand?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast