Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question Open carrying in church?

While I have not done this yet, my brother has, and he got some complaints from other members... I was just wondering if there is any law in PA that says you can't carry a gun in church?

Also, if you are on private property, and you are asked to leave because of the gun... You have to leave (trespassing), correct? But how does that work in a church? It isn't owned but an individual, so who has the authority to tell you to leave?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Open carrying in church?

Yes it's legal. Yes you have to leave if asked, but I am not sure by whom.

Church is kinda funny. It's not family, it's not strangers, it's more like extended family. I'll tell family, "I suggest you get used to it." Church, if people complain, I'll cover. Because I'm not just pissing off the people I don't really know, but the people I do know feel guilty/embarrassed by association. There’s all kinds of things wrapped up in that situation. Just me.

(Somerset County)

I always carry in church but that is really the one place I don't OC . In church I don't feel I should be the center of attention . I would do nothing to distract from the service . This is just my feelings and I wouldn't try to project them on anyone else .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Northampton County)

It's up to the pastor or if part of a larger organization there may be a policy or directive from higher up the chain of command. Churchs are not off limits like say a prison is.

With the number of church shootings,it would be a good place to be armed.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    While I have not done this yet, my brother has, and he got some complaints from other members... I was just wondering if there is any law in PA that says you can't carry a gun in church?

Also, if you are on private property, and you are asked to leave because of the gun... You have to leave (trespassing), correct? But how does that work in a church? It isn't owned but an individual, so who has the authority to tell you to leave?
    AFAIK there is nothing to prevent you from carrying in church except what the members and church leaders have to say. I have never OC'd in church but CC is a different story.

I don't know if I would OC in church for a number of reasons. Too many to list and describe here.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post

Instead of pontificating, I'll just answer your questions.

1.) No, there is no bar on carrying in chuch, open or concealed.

2.)Yes, if you are on private property and you are asked, told, whatever, to leave, you must do so.

3.) IMO, the priest, pastor, deacon, rabbi, or whomever was obviously "in charge", would be an automatic. If it is just someone who you don't know, I would ask who they are and what authority they have to determine who stays or goes.

Hope that helps.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Westmoreland County)

I CC to church on Sundays, and my wife is fine with that. I'm not sure if it would be distracting to other members, but my in-laws would not react lightly if I was asked to leave because I OC'd.

I CC for regular services for much the same reason 1861 gave. I don't need to be distracting people with a gun out. Most of the regulars know I carry, and that I have one on me at the time, but we get new people in on a regular basis. I do OC for a number of church events that are not regular services.

As to who can tell you to leave, it depends on your denomination and how the church is organized. It may be the pastor, the priest, someone on the elder board, or some other official in the hierarchy. A committee may have to meet to decide to tell you not to OC or CC. Church is one of those few places where if I was told not to OC for whatever reason, I would quietly obey. If I was told I could not CC, I would find a different church.

(Tioga County)

Church is the one place I don't OC. I'm sure there are those there that know I CC. Nothing has been said, yet. It just seems the polite thing to do.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Berks County)

As far as who can ask you to leave in a church its probably safe to say the paster, minister, deacon, other "official" person has the authority to do so.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast