Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Today was the day - my first experience with OC.

Well today was the day I decided to try this whole open carry thing. I've been CCing for years but since we were taking the kids to Bass Pro in Harrisburg I figured I'd give OC a shot. Bass Pro had a "family day" with lots of kids activities -- archery, BB gun, and Paintball gun shooting, leather crafts, etc. Activities both inside and outside the store. We started off outside -- went to the kids activities and no one said anything, or even appeared to care that I was carrying. I guess guns aren't much of a big deal to people who take their young kids out for a day of BB gun shooting anyway. None of the employees so much as batted an eye either.

After we went through the parking lot activities we went inside the store. I half expected some sort of encounter with the employees watching the doors, but nope, nothing at all. No comments from other customers that I was aware of. If there were any second glances from anyone I didn't notice. All in all, we spent about 3 hours doing the various activities and shopping. I spoke to at least 6 or 7 BP employees and a number of other outside staff there just for the event, went through the check-out lines twice and to the customer service desk once, and as far as having a gun on my hip went, it was a non-issue.

I realize Bass Pro and the folks who shop there are probably more acquainted with firearms than the general public at large, so I wasn't exactly pushing the envelope as far as open carry goes. But for me, it was an interesting experiment. I did something I'd never done before, and quite frankly there wasn't anything negative about the experience. I think I'll still CC the majority of the time, but it was nice to try out OC in public and actually exercise the rights I was born with.

(York County)

Default Re: Today was the day - my first experience with OC.

Ha! Your first OC experience in a crowded store, loaded with children, during a family day? You like to jump right in to the deep end of the pool, dontcha!

I'm glad your OC trial was a non-event. Sometimes it seems the negative ones get so much attention we often have the idea that we should be expecting some unsavory encounter almost every day.

So far, all of my encounters, with citizens and LEO, have been very positive. I suggest that this is the norm.

Thanks (and rep inbound) for sharing your good day.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

Sounds like a good day!

Through the age of 17 my residence was in NJ. During that time I OC'd in Colorado, Alaska, Penna, and even NJ. All while under age! Probably a couple other states I forget. I didn't OC into stores or anything while in PA or NJ.

This is probably one of the psychological reasons I OC. From my youth. When you are allowed to carry, you just carry. I was a little concerned when I started to OC in PA this year for the first time as an adult. But OC just seems the natural way if you are free enough to have a gun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgood71 View Post
    Well today was the day I decided to try this whole open carry thing. I've been CCing for years but since we were taking the kids to Bass Pro in Harrisburg I figured I'd give OC a shot. Bass Pro had a "family day" with lots of kids activities -- archery, BB gun, and Paintball gun shooting, leather crafts, etc. Activities both inside and outside the store. We started off outside -- went to the kids activities and no one said anything, or even appeared to care that I was carrying. I guess guns aren't much of a big deal to people who take their young kids out for a day of BB gun shooting anyway. None of the employees so much as batted an eye either.

After we went through the parking lot activities we went inside the store. I half expected some sort of encounter with the employees watching the doors, but nope, nothing at all. No comments from other customers that I was aware of. If there were any second glances from anyone I didn't notice. All in all, we spent about 3 hours doing the various activities and shopping. I spoke to at least 6 or 7 BP employees and a number of other outside staff there just for the event, went through the check-out lines twice and to the customer service desk once, and as far as having a gun on my hip went, it was a non-issue.

I realize Bass Pro and the folks who shop there are probably more acquainted with firearms than the general public at large, so I wasn't exactly pushing the envelope as far as open carry goes. But for me, it was an interesting experiment. I did something I'd never done before, and quite frankly there wasn't anything negative about the experience. I think I'll still CC the majority of the time, but it was nice to try out OC in public and actually exercise the rights I was born with.

Welcome to the OC club... next stop on your list... walmart.. Then you can say you've mastered the art

‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones

(Bucks County)

Ya know...this thread makes me just want to....move...closer to either Bass Pro or Cabela's....

There is "rumor" that Bass Pro might be moving into the old Fairless Hills Walmart....we'll see...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 00gt1 View Post
    Welcome to the OC club... next stop on your list... walmart.. Then you can say you've mastered the art
    If that's true then I'm a Grand Master

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I'm glad your OC trial was a non-event. Sometimes it seems the negative ones get so much attention we often have the idea that we should be expecting some unsavory encounter almost every day.
    I think that's probably why I was expecting something -- not necessarily negative, but a question, a look, something... and quite frankly I was glad that I got none. My story isn't as entertaining as many on here since it amounted to a complete non-event, but I really prefer it that way. Drama is not the reason I carry a gun.

(Mercer County)

Congrats and welcome to the club!

(Monroe County)

Good for you, trying something new.

The amount of negative encounters just seems so out of proportion because almost nobody posts their non event everyday stuff anymore. Trust me when I tell you that there are very few of us who carry a gun for the drama

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

I've found, if I OC when my sons are with me, I have almost no encounters, although, there will be some looks, as compared to when I OC and I'm by myself.

"Big Gay Al" Lowe
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    South Park Fan