Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Range Rules and Etiquette

Are there specific generally accepted rules for the firing range? I know each range posts rules, and most are obvious anyway. I've only been to a range one time while others were shooting, and I was confused sometimes about what was going on. I always erred on the side of putting down the gun and waiting and watching to see what others were doing.

One specific point was, each of us were shouting the word "clear" both when we wanted to walk to the targets, and when we were all ready to commence firing. There's something wrong there, but at least it was obvious which one was meant at any given time. But there must be some accepted terms and actions that are used everywhere, right?

That made me think - what else don't I know?

Thanks for any pointers to this info.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Butler County)

Default Re: Range Rules and Etiquette

My son & I had the same problem the last time at a SGL. As we came in we heard "clear" so we didn't bother with eyes or ears yet. I was surprised when people starting shooting.

After that we took over with the commands. We would yell "Clear, cease fire or range going cold." When everyone was done checking & changing targets, and making sure everyone was behind the firing line, we would yell "Range going hot, eyes and ears."

A lot less confusion.

(Montgomery County)

Usually what happens is someone is designated as the range officer (or at least should be - so there is just one cheif). If someone wants to call clear, they get with the RO and the RO calls clear to everyone. At that point, everyone clears their guns, leaves chamber open, puts in a chamber flag and then calls clear themselves to let the RO and everyone know their gun is clear. After the RO gets a clear from everyone, he will say clear to go down range and check your targets. Also, if you stay behind or get back before others, do not in any way touch your firearm. It's a given that no one touch a gun while others are still down range - don't even pick it up to show someone. Once everyone gets back, the RO will say it's okay to go hot. At that point, shoot away.

Also, wanted to say that if something bad is happening, you can / should shout out cease fire. Even though there is a RO if something is going wrong, anyone can call cease fire because maybe the RO didn't see what was going on.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; August 15th, 2009 at 12:06 PM.

(Chester County)

Every range is different.

I don't have a problem being downrange while there are still hot weapons on the benches....because it's more important to me that people step back and don't handle them, than clear them.

The whole "treat every gun as if it were loaded" safety rule works pretty well for me. I know a LOT of other people are not the same.

I also have no problem asking/ telling someone to stop touching their firearms while I'm downrange...and I typically keep my carry gun with me.

Just go with the flow, err to the side of caution, and if you feel unsafe - leave.

Good muzzle awareness, and trigger finger discipline are more important than getting the terms right for how cease fires are called on each range. But if you're unsure of something, just ask.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Every range is different.

I don't have a problem being downrange while there are still hot weapons on the benches....because it's more important to me that people step back and don't handle them, than clear them.
    The whole "treat every gun as if it were loaded" safety rule works pretty well for me. I know a LOT of other people are not the same.

I also have no problem asking/ telling someone to stop touching their firearms while I'm downrange...and I typically keep my carry gun with me.

Just go with the flow, err to the side of caution, and if you feel unsafe - leave.

Good muzzle awareness, and trigger finger discipline are more important than getting the terms right for how cease fires are called on each range. But if you're unsure of something, just ask.

Wow, you are a trusting soul . What happens if a guy just got done a beta mag dump, let his freshly re-loaded gun on the table pointed down range and had a cook off while everyone was down range.

If you're okay with it okay -- but me, i like cleared with flags in when i'm shooting with strangers and going down range.

If it's a group of people i shoot with regularly, then flags aren't as important to me but i do want to see open chambers.

(York County)

oh jeez, the cook-off theory, somebody call mythbusters , I agree though, flags in chanbers and nobody touches guns is far and away the best (safest)practice.

and safety is always first right???
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Wow, you are a trusting soul . What happens if a guy just got done a beta mag dump, let his freshly re-loaded gun on the table pointed down range and had a cook off while everyone was down range.

If you're okay with it okay -- but me, i like cleared with flags in when i'm shooting with strangers and going down range.

If it's a group of people i shoot with regularly, then flags aren't as important to me but i do want to see open chambers.
    Not really worried about the cook-off scenario, I guess.

I tend to keep a pretty good eye on my 6, and I turn around very quick when I start to hear mechanical clicks and such.

I worked as an RO on an automated range...so I would only call cease fires when I had to run downrange...usually just to grab a carrier than got a little bound up...so making 15 people clear weapons for me to be down range for 20 secs, just wasn't worth it, IMO. I kept a close eye on everyone up range...and they were advised to stay behind their booths, out of reach of those firearms while I went downrange.

The concept of weapons in people's hands scares me a lot more than "hot versus cold". When folks are downrange, there are NO safe directions...and they're not going off by themselves...so fingers off guns is good enough for me.

Never gave much thought to the cook offs......

(Allegheny County)

I go to Coraopolis Sportsman club. Many members there say clear for both. When I'm there I say "clear" and "going hot".

I've spoken with a couple members about not touching guns when downrange and muzzle discipline. I really don't like guns pointed at me. Especially ones that are said to be "unloaded".
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    oh jeez, the cook-off theory, somebody call mythbusters ,
    Umm...you don't believe there are cookoffs?

I shoot enough ammo in a short enough time that you don't want my gun loaded when you go downrange. I stay under the lowest published cook off round counts but you never know.

(Berks County)

I'll occasionally get into a disagreement with someone over carrying a loaded sidearm downrange with me to change out targets. There is no widely accepted rule for it, some folks agree, some disagree. For me, I like having the ability to return fire if fired upon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast