Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Slide Glide Test

Mods please feel free to move as you may, I wasn't 100% sure where this belonged.
    First my disclaimer; I am not a scientist, just a regular Joe and these test are far from scientifically performed. I am not spokesperson, salesmen, or owner of the company that produces the product I tested. I can assure you I have not been compensated in anyway for the test I performed nor have I mislead or changed the results. I do this out of my enjoyment for firearms and quest to find only the best products to ensure my firearms are around at least as long as I am.
    Again the results of the test are unadulterated and raw, I am not well versed in this area and so there are many things I could have done better, but here are the facts.
    I have been an advocate of Brian Eno's Slide Glide since I first got a sample some months ago. I found its superior lubrication properties to far exceed the standard in grease for firearms. One of the many reoccuring statements about using grease on firearms was the want for the product to have some sort of marine resistance. No not US Marine devil dog, nobody can resist their will, no I mean aquatic enviroments. Humidity, sweat, moisture, all the nasty oxidizing agents that our precious firearms have at some point come into contact with. While nothing is marine proof, some products offer at least some level of resistance and other come down right close to the latter.
    On July 31st 2009 the following took place.
    Using what I had at hand, I came up with a test to see just how much protection Slide Glide offered. I used the following items for my test.
    3 used medicine bottles, washed out with soap and hot water.
    3 teaspoons of Sea Salt.
    3 one inch long steel nails
    Regular non filtered tap water. (After thinking about it for a bit I should have measured out the water to gain more consistant results but meh I said I was not scientist.)
    I took each bottle and labeled it with the start date and with the viscosity I would place in the bottle. I placed one teaspoon of sea salt in each bottle and filled it 3/4 of the way full of tap water and shook up the mixture to create a salt water like enviroment.
    I then dipped the head of the nail in the coinciding viscosity of slide glide and placed the nail head first into the bottle marked as such.
    It was my intention to have the nails sit in the bottles for 7 days, however work and life interupted this and so I acutally finished up the test on August 9th 2009 giving the test 10 full days of exposure.
    It was not my intent to see just how long the slide glide could last but just to prove it could indeed withstand some exposure to water.
    I will let the picture do the rest of the talking.

This was truly amazing, the heavy formula still was reddish and somewhat transparent.

This is the Lite formula and you can see it still has it stringy characteristics that make Slide Glide such a great lubricant. The Heavy formula was even better!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Slide Glide Test

So if I put that stuff inside a toaster and play music, will it dance or not?

(Bucks County)

Looks like Jem, put some on yer toast.

How does this stuff compare to other lubricants as a lubricant? The test is cool, but I want me some slippery.

(Chester County)

Good test but you wouldn't be putting that much slide glide on your gun... I'd like to see what the nails look like with only a thin coat of slide glide...More true to life I think... Good test though and I'll be looking into the slide glide because of your post...