Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Which is harder to control (when firing): a springfield xd-9 or a glock?

I have run into a dilemma about XD-9s and Glocks. I can't figure out which one has less recoil (flips less). Depending on who I ask, there are two answers that I usually receive. Some people told me that the Springfield XD-9 has less recoil since it is slightly heavier than the Glock. Others have told me that the Glock has less recoil since the barrel sits lower in a Glock than it does in an XD. These people have specifically said that the bore axis is higher in a Springfield XD-9 than it is in a comparable Glock. So finally, which one is more difficult to control? The XD or the Glock (assuming both are 9mm)? Thanks in advance.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Which is harder to control (when firing): a springfield xd-9 or a glock?

Flip is not the same as recoil in my vernacular. Personally, I would take more recoil for less flip. Sorry, I never shot an XD-9. But I did think the XD 40 had better handling than my Glock 19.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Which is harder to control (when firing): a springfield xd-9 or a glock?

The only way to know for sure is to shoot them both yourself. If you ask 100 people, you could get 100 different answers. Put a call out there for fellow PAFOA members in your area who own the guns in question to get together and allow you to shoot them. If no one responds, you could always try to find some rentals.

neither is a problem, being 9MM you arent going to be blowing doors off any hinges w/it.

The XD is a Glock w/ a safety

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Flip is not the same as recoil in my vernacular. Personally, I would take more recoil for less flip. Sorry, I never shot an XD-9. But I did think the XD 40 had better handling than my Glock 19.
    IMO, flip is the same thing as the recoil since it is unwanted motion of the gun. I shot your Glock 19 and an XD-9 (4" barrel). I didn't notice a difference, but then again, I didn't shoot them side by side. I shot them on different occasions. When you said that the XD-40 has better handling than the Glock are you talking about flip/recoil? Or are you talking about the grip angle?

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    The only way to know for sure is to shoot them both yourself. If you ask 100 people, you could get 100 different answers. Put a call out there for fellow PAFOA members in your area who own the guns in question to get together and allow you to shoot them. If no one responds, you could always try to find some rentals.
    I already shot a Glock 19 and a Springfield XD-9 (4 inch barrel). I haven't had the chance to compare them side by side. In the Lehigh Valley there is only one range that does rentals. It's kind of far away and it doesn't even have both of those guns to compare side by side. When I shot the guns on separate occassions, I didn't notice any difference. But then again, it was a few weeks apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock It View Post
    neither is a problem, being 9MM you arent going to be blowing doors off any hinges w/it.

The XD is a Glock w/ a safety
    I know that 9mm does not have a lot of recoil. But I still want to know which one is superior in terms of recoil.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    IMO, flip is the same thing as the recoil since it is unwanted motion of the gun. I shot your Glock 19 and an XD-9 (4" barrel). I didn't notice a difference, but then again, I didn't shoot them side by side. I shot them on different occasions. When you said that the XD-40 has better handling than the Glock are you talking about flip/recoil? Or are you talking about the grip angle?
    I mean it had more recoil but less flip.

If .45 was cheap to shoot I would shoot 1911. They recoil but stay on target.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    I have run into a dilemma about XD-9s and Glocks. I can't figure out which one has less recoil (flips less). Depending on who I ask, there are two answers that I usually receive. Some people told me that the Springfield XD-9 has less recoil since it is slightly heavier than the Glock. Others have told me that the Glock has less recoil since the barrel sits lower in a Glock than it does in an XD. These people have specifically said that the bore axis is higher in a Springfield XD-9 than it is in a comparable Glock. So finally, which one is more difficult to control? The XD or the Glock (assuming both are 9mm)? Thanks in advance.
    As you have already seen, there are many opinions. That's all your going to get is opinions. Get the gun you want. The ammo you use will effect the felt recoil more than which of the two guns you use. So get what ya want.

(Allegheny County)

yes, they will recoil the same. But the GLOCK has a lower bore axis than the XD, and so you will find it can be easier to control.

your not gonna tell a huge differance between them, and with practice and time you can learn to use both equally well, and its just a 9mm, pick the one that you think looks cooler
    or, the one with the better out of the box trigger. I dont want to make this a "VS" thread, but IMHO the GLOCK trigger is much better and easier to manipulate. The XD trigger is lighter, but there is significant takeup between the reset and the break. On the GLOCK the pull is heavier, but the break is a snap and the reset/break is near the same point.

(Luzerne County)

Smile Re: Which is harder to control (when firing): a springfield xd-9 or a glock?

Take a drive down to Bristol. RAF has all three Glocks(17,19, and 26) and the XD9 regular and sub compact to rent. They have a whole bunch of other 9's as well. Have fun!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    ...and its just a 9mm...
    So far I stay on target better with XD .40, Glock .45GAP, Sig .357, Kimber 911, S&W 1911, Colt 1911, 1911 Commander, Desert Eagle .357, and .38, compared to Glock 19. Everyone's personal experience will vary.

"just a 9mm" means nothing. BTW, based on your posts, you have better gun handling skills than both me and the OP. I don't think he even understands what you are talking about. He probably understands the terms, but it takes training to understand the meaning.
    Last edited by ungawa; August 9th, 2009 at 04:40 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast