Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help: What's the Best 2009 Pickup?

I'm interested in a new 4x4 pickup truck. I've driven the following 2009 models:

Chevy Silverado Z71
    Ford F-150 FX4
    Dodge Ram (can't remember the specific model)

All three were extended or crew cab models, all were short beds b/c of the extended cabs, all were four wheel drive and the Ford and Chevy had similar features but the Dodge was a more basic model.

I liked the Chevy the best. It drove well, had good power, nice features and I like Chevy trucks (currently own a 97 Silverado). I would have to say the Chevy gave me the most truck for the money. Sticker was about $37,000 and the dealer's final quote for my purchase price was approx. $29,000

I also really liked the Ford but it was loaded with similar features as the Chevy for much more money which I don't understand. Ford also barely gave me any sort of "deal" which turned me off to the truck. One thing about Ford trucks I enjoy over Chevy is that I seem to sit higher in the Ford cab than the Chevy. Chevy trucks always feel so low in the cab even though actual ground clearance isn't all that different between the major brands. The Chevy cab seems more car like to me and the Ford seems more truck like. This particular Ford was about $41,000 and I could get it for $38,000

Finally, the Dodge..........was about $40,000 and I could purchase for about $36,000. WAY fewer features than Ford and Chevy and similar money as the Ford. I didn't think it had as much juice compared to the other two and it absolutely didn't handle as well in my opinion. I like the looks of it but looks don't haul the mail.

So now my confusion: In the process of checking out trucks, I've visited at least 8 dealers. The Ford dealers haven't made many comments about the other brands and seem to simply answer my questions about Fords and don't seem to want to negotiate for a sale.

The Chevy dealers that I have visited try like hell to sell their trucks and talk up the Chevy, talk down the Dodge and admit that along with Chevy, Ford also makes a solid, quality truck but the Chevy is better and has better fuel economy and incentives.

The Dodge dealers have impressed me the least, haven't had much to say about why I should buy a Dodge truck and when I asked why their prices were equivalent to Ford with far fewer features, they didn't really explain it and just brushed it off. Nothing about the Dodge dealers or the Ram truck has impressed me so far.

Then there was the one dealer that sells both Dodge and Chevy that I visited just this past week. The conversation I had with the salesman prompted me to write this post and see what you all think. His position is that he is a long time Chevy man and believes Chevy has made a quality truck for years. He also says that Ford makes a quality truck but like almost every salesman I've spoken to, he claims that Fords are gas hogs and lack power. This guy was dealing with me on a Chevy and tried talking me out of it to buy a new Dodge. I explained my lack of interest in a new Dodge once I drove one and b/c of its lack of features for a similar price tag compared to the other trucks. I also expressed nervousness in buying a Dodge due to the well know problems they have had in previous years with transmissions and other quality control issues.

His response was that in the past when he had to attend both Chevy and Dodge trainings, they would refer to the Dodge as "rolling junk" b/c of these issues. Now however, Dodge is being run by Mercedes and when Mercedes took over these famous quality control issues were addressed and done very well. This man's claim now is that Dodge has the best suspension available on a pickup truck and Chevy and Ford will soon follow. He also said the 09 Dodge is hands down the best pickup on the road overall. He stated that he owns an 07 Chevy and recently sold his son a new Dodge Ram and would buy one himself if he had to buy a new one today.

I'm confused about my choice and would like to hear your input. What's the best truck of the big three brands?

Try to give me solid info and not just the brand loyalty mantras that we all have from time to time. I've been driving my Silverado for over 7 years and before that I had an F-150. My Dad was a Ford man who's last truck was a Dodge Dakota and my brother won't part with his Ram. I like the looks of the Ford best but hate the price, love my Chevy truck but don't care much for the looks of the 09, and I like the looks of the new Dodges but think they drive like trash. Like I said though, looks don't matter at the end of the day.......I want a quality truck without getting screwed with a $600 payment every month. That's bull.

I need help fellas. I want to decide on a new truck while I can get something of a good deal but I don't know what to pick. Input please.

iamhistory
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Help: What's the Best 2009 Pickup?

I`ve owned all 3 and a couple of each. IMHO Dodge is still a real truck. The new hemi has more HP and the fuel mileage is great. I have an old Hemi 04 and 3:90 gears 4x4 and average 15.5 and do way better on the highway. Dodge has the most cab room. When I get out of a tractor into my truck I don`t want to feel cramped. There powertrain warranty is excellent.
    Up here in the west end of the Pocono`s all you see is Dodge especially with the farmers that actually work a truck. I depends if you`re buying a truck or you just want to look cool driving a truck.

(Warren County)

I will never buy another new GM or Chrysler

I would buy a Ford, but only after comparing against Toyota.

I hate Government Motors and the UAW parasites THAT MUCH.

(Monroe County)

Every MFG has had some issues with this or that. Dodges tranny issues were back in the late 90`s early 2000`s and there are no issues now.
    Like I said I like a truck, not a truck looking vehicle that is really a car. I`ve pulled my empty TT out of the snow with my Dodge, come to the truck pulls here in the west end and see what`s winning the stock classes. Go to the farms and see what they drive. As far as ride and handling, I`ve had new Dodges off road and I`m impressed with the new ones. If I had the funds available I`d have one right now.
    One other reason i`ve been buying Dodge is around here they ALWAYS beat the other MFG prices when comparing truck for truck.

(Susquehanna County)

I never had a major opinion till this past winter. A guy I work with has had a Tacoma for five or six years. Turns out that Toyota issued a recall for his truck. The rear end was rotting out and dropping at random. Anyway, Toyota bought the truck off of him. The company gave him bluebook price after considering it 100% brand new plus somewhere in the realm of $3000-$5000 extra. He bought the truck for $8,000, drove it for 5-6 years and then sold it back to Toyota for $13,000. This was last winter in the middle of economic hardship. I think Toyota is a company that sticks by their products.

I own an F-250, 2008 also owned an F-150 Lariat 2004, it was awesome, and still have a 1989 F-250 as well. You won't go wrong with a Ford. Of course for fuel I own a Jeep and two Harley's...lol

(Bucks County)

I know a large electrical contractor and they tried all models of trucks. The only trucks they will buy now are Fords because of reliability. A little more money upfront, but over the years cheaper. I agree as I have a 2009 Ford F-150. And only buy American.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Monroe County)

I had a couple fords. This was the best one. Had all Mach 1 running gear from the 351 Cleveland right back to the rear. Hence the different bolt pattern on the rear axle. Sadly they don`t make Fords like that anymore.

(Northampton County)

Ram 2500 or 3500 with the 6.7CTD can't be beat. The thing will tow a house, I have an '08 that isn't broken in yet and I'm seeing 19 - 20 combined city / highway mileage empty and 16 towing a 5k lb jeep up and down the hills of Schuykill / Berks counties. I got mine for right at $32k new in November.

(Bucks County)

Have an '04 Avalanche...bought it 2 years old.....for $18k (Stickered at $36k+)....a STEAL....Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Phenomenal vehicle IMHO, has needed nothing but tires, gas and oil in 55k miles, but I won't buy again from Oudini Motors so I hope I can make it last forever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast