Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Sorry Couldn't let this one pass

This is written by a young man serving his third tour of duty in Iraq. Thought you might find his take on the Michael Jackson news interesting.

I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael Jackson. As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villian to many people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and I respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds with grief. When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to ENTERTAIN people, the Amercian people find the need to flock to a memorial in Hollywood, and even Congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing?

Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom? All those soldiers who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution of the United States of America. Where is their moment of silence? Where are the people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because they made the ultimate sacrifice? Why is it when a soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddence," and "thank God for IEDs?" When did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can arbitrarily blow off
    their deaths, and instead, throw themselves into mourning for a "Pop Icon?"

I think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. They need to PUBLICLY recognize every life that has been lost so that the American people can live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE, those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but I needed to say it.

Remember these five words the next time you think of someone who is serving in the military;

"So that others may live!"
    Isaac
    Last edited by larrymeyer; July 11th, 2009 at 02:10 PM.

Default Re: Sorry Couldn't let this one pass

Our country is in a sad state when we weep about the death of a low life druggie and let true heroes die in silence.
    I, for one, never forget.

(Northumberland County)

yes thats the truth,, people worship a drug junkie rock star more then someone who died to protect the freedom of people who dont aprreciate the fact that the freedom from opression is what helps them be able to enjoy watching a drug freak entertain them on the stage... some things we could never understand...

(Northampton County)

I think Congress should take a minute of silence for every American to give their life to protect this country. They should stand with their heads bowed for each and every one of them. The only speaking allowed, would be to announce the next name on the list of those being honored.

Not only will this show respect for those who gave their lives, but it would keep Congress so busy they couldn't fu** us over anymore.

I think that's the least they could do.

(Monroe County)

I don't know about the "never star in movies" line. Audie Murphy was THE soldier and did alright for himself....

just sayin'

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I don't know about the "never star in movies" line. Audie Murphy was THE soldier and did alright for himself....

just sayin'
    He was one of the exceptions to the rule.