Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default OC non-incident East Stroudsburg, PA

I was at the East Stroudsburg Wal-Mart on wednesday afternoon with my brother and neighbor to pick up some items. Of course, we all swung by the ammo desk to see what they had, and to our suprise, there was nothing! (sarcasm).

There was an older gentleman, maybe late 50's/60 something and I made a comment about how this walmart is always out of ammo. He said something along the lines of his cache at home and how he doesn't need to buy any but always swings by the desk himself just for kicks. We had a conversation whilst strolling about walmart, he seemed to be quite knowledgeable on firearms and had spent his youth in the service. He was telling me about some of the odd guns in his collection, random guns that serve no real purpose except being being too powerful for practical carry and how he wished he could just carry his shotgun instead.

It was rather pleasant except he stopped and looked down at my gun and said I would be going to jail or shot on the spot if the police saw me openly carrying my handgun. He motioned to his side and noted that I couldn't even tell he was carrying and that was what the concealed permit was for. I politely informed him it's not a concealed permit but a LTCF and went to pull mine out to show him the wordage, at which he responded not to because I would be arrested if someone saw me produce my LTCF in public. He said around these parts I would be taken to the ground or shot because the police can't take a chance. If my hand was by my gun it's all they need to shoot me or something along those lines. I explained that open carry is 100% legal again but he either didnt believe me, or continued to strongly advise against it.

Some how we were on the subject of traveling to florida and he said I can't take my gun with because if I'm pulled over the police would shoot me or throw me in jail. I explained theres federal transportation laws to protect you as long as you follow the proper procedure for transport through states that didn't have reciprocity. He said it was a no-go and he would never risk it. He also said once in Florida I could purchase a handgun to carry while I'm there. I didnt bother asking him what he planned on doing with the gun once he was prepared to leave the state..

Anyways, he was a real nice guy, but he didn't seem too interested in what I had to say. Before we parted I told him about this website and that he should come check it out. We shook hands and parted ways.

In hindsight this is one of the few times I wish I had an OC flyer, as I think it might have opened his eyes a bit to the reality of our current events.

Figured I'd report this, even though it was a non-incident. Always good to report these as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Default Re: OC non-incident East Stroudsburg, PA

That dude is real nice, but thatched in the head, if yunz know what I mean

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Pike County)

older gentleman, maybe late 50's/60
    Boy does that make some of us feel ancient :-)

(Monroe County)

That dude is real nice, but thatched in the head, if yunz know what I mean
    This made me laugh out loud haha.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveGerry View Post
    Boy does that make some of us feel ancient :-)
    Well in that case, I don't know why I'm home still, but my friend is hosting a shindig to get the summer started. I shall prepare a toast to those that have come before us in your honor, and when I finish by shouting, TO DIVE GERRY, I expect them to look at me oddly, but they will toast none the less!
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Some how we were on the subject of traveling to florida and he said I can't take my gun with because if I'm pulled over the police would shoot me or throw me in jail. I explained theres federal transportation laws to protect you as long as you follow the proper procedure for transport through states that didn't have reciprocity. He said it was a no-go and he would never risk it.
    Next time mention to these types that once you get to Virginia you can carry a loaded handgun in your passenger compartment without any permit all the way to the FL keys and this is the rule in most states. See http://www.opencarry.org/travel.html

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Next time mention to these types that once you get to Virginia you can carry a loaded handgun in your passenger compartment without any permit all the way to the FL keys and this is the rule in most states. See http://www.opencarry.org/travel.html
    LOL, you don't understand this dude. I believe he may have alzheimer's. I have bought ammo from the guy, and whatever gun subject comes up, well, it kind of like listening to a hologram.... you say things and he completely ignores them or just corrects you from his own rules. There is really zero education potential... again, he is fairly pleasant, just a bit thatched....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

LOL, you don't understand this dude. I believe he may have alzheimer's. I have bought ammo from the guy, and whatever gun subject comes up, well, it kind of like listening to a hologram.... you say things and he completely ignores them or just corrects you from his own rules. There is really zero education potential... again, he is fairly pleasant, just a bit thatched....
    Ha that is an accurate description of the guy. Knows it all and it's like he's talking just to listen to himself.

(Allegheny County)

Heh. Retard.

Last time I was in W-mart for ammo, I was talking to a young guy about handguns.(He had gotten the key to open the case for me to get ammo)

He asked what I shoot and such, and as we talked, I told him about the forum.

Then, as the guy sweeping the floor came by, the kid asks "Hey Pete, what's your favorite handgun?" (Kid turns to me and says, "Pete is a retired police officer) "A .45!" says, Pete. "All you gotta do is nick them in the arm, and they go down. Those 9mm bullets are too fast - go right through without slowing down." Followed closely by some other such "expert" advice which I promptly filed in the "bullshit" lobe of my brain.

I think it's fair to say that W-mart(and to a lesser extent old, retired-cop, broom pushers) is not my first choice for useful firearm information.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!