Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default On the subject of car issues

Okay, here's one for you guys since there seem to be a lot of expert car folks here.

The vehicle is a 2003 Pathfinder 4x4 (3.5L auto trans)

The problem is this: the transmission will not go into higher gears until the vehicle has been running for a good while. The colder it is, the longer it must be driven before it will shift into high gear and/or lock up the torque converter.

At 0C, it is 6-8 miles of driving before it will lock up the torque converter and about 4 miles before it will even go into top gear (driving along at 2750 rpm at 45MPH is not fun when it should be 1500)

No trouble lights. No codes. Dealer claimed it was "normal," which it is not. Even after going to a dealer when the problem presented in 2005 and driving a new one from the lot, they still claimed it was "normal," when the new one (which had been sitting all night in -5C temperatures) did not exhibit this behavior.

I'd be interested to see what the peanut gallery comes up with

(Berks County)

Default Re: On the subject of car issues

Some electronically controlled auto transmissions are designed to not operate with the torque converter locked up until the trans fluid is at operating temperature. There is a sensor which will prevent the lockup until the trans fluid warms up, usually in 5 to 10 miles. This sounds like what is going on with your transmission.

NOt sure what the problem is (I sent my tranny work out) but if the new one didn't do the same thing then I'd say the dealer is full of it. It also sure as heck doesn't sound 'normal'.

If it were me I would take it to a transmission shop and have them look at it and if they find anything get a written estimate (they will usually do this for free or at a small charge) then take that back to the dealer and tell them to fix it or else.

(Allegheny County)

If you have over 50K miles do a transmission service including a complete fluid exchange. That should take care of the problem. Most shifting problems are from dirty-worn out fluid. One of the best boards for questions like this is
    bob is the oil guy

(Lawrence County)

I would have to agree with ALS on this one. It's amazing what fluids do to cars...(or lack thereof.

People, here's the thing... when mechanics, or oil change places tell you to bring the car in every 5 to 6 thousand miles to have the oil changed, THEY'RE NOT SHITTING YOU. LOL. These things NEED DONE. Oils break down, losing their viscosity, in other words, the ability to lubricate the moving metal parts!!!

Do some preventative maintenance on your vehicle peoples.... 70 bucks is FAR cheaper than 1500 bucks. (70 dollars is a PREMIUM oil change at some of the oil places around here.) I've personally seen this happen to a number of rental cars. We didn't replace the oil EVER in this 2009 Mazda 3 we own, and after 12,000 miles the cars engine seized. Reason... the oil was nolonger viscus enough to stick to the moving parts thus not lubricating anything so the metal to metal rub litterally stopped the pistons.

"Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

Fluid has been changed every 30k... this started with less than 15k on the car, and it now has 105k.

Engine has had Mobil-1 since birth and at necessary intervals.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Fluid has been changed every 30k... this started with less than 15k on the car, and it now has 105k.

Engine has had Mobil-1 since birth and at necessary intervals.
    SORRY to make it sound as if i were talking directly to you ehidle... i was only using the statement before my last as a catalyst for my speach. lol... i wasn't pointing fingers at anyone.. just stating a couple facts. It's kind of my pet peeve when people look at me funny when i suggest an oil change to them and they say, well it's only been 3000 miles why should i get one now? but whatever... it's cool. True oil has been redesigned to allow it to go more miles before changing, but think about your PAPER oil filter element! that hasn't been updated for quite some time. have the paper in your filter break down and flow with the oil to "lubricate" your pistons... see how quickly that 5000 mile oil turns to sh*t....

ok i'm off my soapbox.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Bucks County)

Did you blow a seal?

Anyway, my Silverado does this as specified in the manual untill it warms up when its cold out and has been sitting. Supposed to help warm up the tranny for doing its work at the correct temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    SORRY to make it sound as if i were talking directly to you ehidle...
    I didn't think you were. I was just late for a meeting and had to be a little terse No worries!

(Lackawanna County)

Nah, it's just ice cream.

Yep...rule 1 on the Rover...skimp not upon fresh fluids lest ye be fined to a fare-thee-well by the cossacks at your local Land Rover emporium.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."