Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default CC permit transfer

Hey everybody,

I'm obviously a newb to the board, but I look forward to checking out all the great info. I have a question concerning the transfer of a CC permit. I am transplant from NC and I have a CCW from NC. I now live in PA, and will be changing my residence to PA.

My NC permit is valid for 5 years (with PA reciprocity). So, my question is, since I will become an official PA resident, will my NC permit still be valid for me to use in PA? Or is there a way to transfer it? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and apply for one in PA?

I called the sheriff's office in my hometown in NC, and explained the situation. They said it should be find since it's valid for five years, but I have to notify the sheriff's office of any change of address within 30 days. I'm planning on calling a sheriff's office in PA to hear what they have to say.

I am just curious to see if anyone here might have some insight on this situation and know of probably the more knowledgeable sheriffs offices in PA to contact.

Thanks for the help!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: CC permit transfer

There is no way to "transfer" your license from NC to PA. I'm not sure what NC's law says about their licenses in regards to licensees that move out of NC. Its possible it may still be good, its possible that it become invalid - that is determined by NC law.

For a PA LTCF, you will have to apply for a new issue.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the quick reply, Knight. I figured the transfer was a no-go. So I'm probably just going to go in person to the NC sheriff's office (I hate phone conversations) when I'm in town, and see what they have to say. I'll probably call or go visit a local sheriff's office when I'm back in PA.

(Lehigh County)

Better safe then sorry...might as well get the PA LTCF if you're going to be living here. It'll eliminate any issue of validity.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by dermetzgermeister View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, Knight. I figured the transfer was a no-go. So I'm probably just going to go in person to the NC sheriff's office (I hate phone conversations) when I'm in town, and see what they have to say. I'll probably call or go visit a local sheriff's office when I'm back in PA.
    From your details it says you're in Philly, you'll have to apply with the Chief of Police in that City of the First Class.

I'm sure one of the other guys that are familiar with Philly will chime in. $25, fill out application, wait...

(Philadelphia County)

I actually live outside Philly - Montgomery County. So I'll just have to go to a sheriff's office. CCW in PA is a bit less hassle than in NC. In NC, you have to take a concealed carry course, take the certificate to the local sheriff's office, fill out an application (which has questions about the course you have to answer), pay $$, then wait.

All that simply to get permission to exercise my right. It's not a right if you have to ask permission.

(Jefferson County)

I actually live outside Philly - Montgomery County. So I'll just have to go to a sheriff's office. CCW in PA is a bit less hassle than in NC. In NC, you have to take a concealed carry course, take the certificate to the local sheriff's office, fill out an application (which has questions about the course you have to answer), pay $$, then wait.

All that simply to get permission to exercise my right. It's not a right if you have to ask permission.
    Welcome to a one of the most pro-gun states in America(despite a few of our silly laws). The state who's protected gun rights was the model for the Second Amendment.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Welcome to a one of the most pro-gun states in America(despite a few of our silly laws). The state who's protected gun rights was the model for the Second Amendment.
    Well thanks abunch! It'll take some getting used to being in a different area of the country, but it'll be fun.

(Monroe County)

Hey everybody,

I'm obviously a newb to the board, but I look forward to checking out all the great info. I have a question concerning the transfer of a CC permit. I am transplant from NC and I have a CCW from NC. I now live in PA, and will be changing my residence to PA.

My NC permit is valid for 5 years (with PA reciprocity). So, my question is, since I will become an official PA resident, will my NC permit still be valid for me to use in PA? Or is there a way to transfer it? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and apply for one in PA?

I called the sheriff's office in my hometown in NC, and explained the situation. They said it should be find since it's valid for five years, but I have to notify the sheriff's office of any change of address within 30 days. I'm planning on calling a sheriff's office in PA to hear what they have to say.

I am just curious to see if anyone here might have some insight on this situation and know of probably the more knowledgeable sheriffs offices in PA to contact.

Thanks for the help!
    Here is a list of important stuff for new members to go through. Read through these links and it will help you tremendously. :

Members, please use the correct forums

Best single source of firearm information here

Where you can and can't carry

The U.F.A. (Pa. firearm related laws) Sections are also available in our reference library, the link to which is located at the top of each page here..

Common acronyms

Forum rules

How rules are enforced here

Reputation points guide

How to report a post

Rules for classified section posts

Open Carry primer

I hope this list helps make it easier for you to figure out what questions to ask and makes your time here more enjoyable

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Here is a list of important stuff for new members to go through. Read through these links and it will help you tremendously. :

Members, please use the correct forums

Best single source of firearm information here

Where you can and can't carry

The U.F.A. (Pa. firearm related laws) Sections are also available in our reference library, the link to which is located at the top of each page here..

Common acronyms

Forum rules

How rules are enforced here

Reputation points guide

How to report a post

Rules for classified section posts

Open Carry primer

I hope this list helps make it easier for you to figure out what questions to ask and makes your time here more enjoyable
    That list should be included in a sticky, emailed to new members, or something because it covers everything they need to know.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast