Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Mercer Sheriff good with Ohio CCW?

I have my Ohio CCW.
    Wanted to get a PA CCW since I live so close to PA. Need to know if the Mercer Sheriff is good about giving a PA CCW to Ohio residents who hold an Ohio CCW permit?

I heard that I should "check out" the sheriff in the county before attempting to do it because some won't give out of state CCW permits even if they have a permit in their resident state.

Any input here?
    Stacy

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Mercer Sheriff good with Ohio CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by OhioStacy View Post
    I have my Ohio CCW.
    Wanted to get a PA CCW since I live so close to PA. Need to know if the Mercer Sheriff is good about giving a PA CCW to Ohio residents who hold an Ohio CCW permit?

I heard that I should "check out" the sheriff in the county before attempting to do it because some won't give out of state CCW permits even if they have a permit in their resident state.

Any input here?
    Stacy
    In Pennsylvania they are required to issue permits to anyone who they can not disqualify, there is (legal) reason that any county could deny you a non-resident permit as long as you met the requirements (which does involve possessing a similar permit in your state of residence, which you do)

With that said some counties do not comply but most do and Mercer County does based on our conversation with them.

Here is a full list of counties that have said they have no problem issuing non-resident permits to qualified applicants.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

I had heard otherwise about PA and that there were issues with alot of the counties not willing to give CCW permits to non-residents. It's kind of a pain having one right next door to you and not being able to carry in PA.

Mercer it is then. I'll give them a call for the application.

Thanks again,
    Stacy

(Jefferson County)

If Mercer Co Sheriff doesn't want your money, both Jefferson and Centre County Sheriff's will perform their civil services.

I must completely disagree.

I moved to Ohio in 2003 after getting married. Prior to that I was born, raised, and lived in Allegheny and Westmoreland counties.

I have my Ohio CCW and applied for my PA permit the second week of April. My check was cashed during the first few days of May. As of today I still have not heard anything from the Mercer County Sheriff's office. I am quite irked, and very tired of waiting. I live on the OH/PA line and spend more time in PA than OH.

This '45 business' days garbage is exactly that. I wish I applied to Centre county, from the stories I've heard from my OH pals the turn around time is less than a week and a half.

Just my $.02

(Butler County)

What about a PA ccw getting an Ohio ccw. I live in PA and I am in Ohio all the time.

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill........

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by TTR View Post
    What about a PA ccw getting an Ohio ccw. I live in PA and I am in Ohio all the time.
    Good luck. I don't believe Ohio issues non resident permits.

Most PA residents opt for a Utah Non Resident CCW, which is honored by Ohio unlike the PA CCW.

Utah CCW is honored by the following states:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Misssouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming.

You don't need to go to Utah to get it, just take the class from a Utah authorized instructor in PA.

All this may end up a moot point soon. AG Tom Corbett announced at the ACSL banquet when asked about PA/Ohio Reciprocity that we should "Stay Tuned"
    Last edited by doug; April 28th, 2008 at 01:43 AM.

(Butler County)

Thanks for the info Doug. That is good news.

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill........