Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Do i have a Cat problem?

We have a Large cat, its a large dhc male.
    He has a bad habit of stalking and catching Birds around the yard, he kills them and eats them , Last year it was the baby Rabbits, he would stalk them and kill them .
    Is this a problem? Will it have any effects on the Bird and Rabbit population?
    Should we try to correct this situation?

He were adopted at a pound 4 years ago , so he could have been a stray that developed these mean ways of survival .
    What do you think, try to correct him or let him be?

Nyman

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Do i have a Cat problem?

That is what cats do. I can't imagine how you could "correct" his behavior short of making him an indoor-only cat.

Your property may have less birds and bunnies, but I don't think "Tiger" is going to seriously change overall small animal populations.

(Somerset County)

As long as he doesn't cause problems with the neighbors , let him go .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Quote Originally Posted by RuralTom View Post
    That is what cats do. I can't imagine how you could "correct" his behavior short of making him an indoor-only cat.

Sound about right to me.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Centre County)

Like Rural Tom said... You're cat's doing what cats do. Nothing is going to change him. You'll appreciate his hunting this fall when he starts to decimate the mouse population that would otherwise try and settle into your garage, shed and home for the winter. If your wife plants flowers, she'll appreciate his efforts to control the rabbits who will otherwise feed on those flowers. Word of advice... if your cat is as evil at killing things as mine was, before you mow, walk about the yard and pick up his carnage. Otherwise, you have some pretty ugly things being flung about by the mower.

(Bucks County)

First off let me state that Im a cat owner and I like them as pets very much.

Now:

Keep him inside where he belongs, you wouldnt let your dog roam , or your Parrot fly around the neighborhood would you? Your neighbors will attempt to kill your cat if it suits them. Your neighbors kid will try to kill your cat for fun if hes bored. Your neighbors dog will kill your cat for sport. Some people hate cats and even as a cat liker, I dont appreciate when the neighbors cat kills birds at the feeder and picks the fish out of the pond. I had a neighbors cat pluck a juicy $75 Coi out of my pond at my last house. They paid for the fish for various and sundry reasons and kept their cat indoors thereafter.

My yard is regularly full of feathers and dead things.........Not from my cats which spend their days indoors.

Will your cat F up the local ecology? Maybe not, but ten cats in a neighborhood can.

Did I mention that your neighbors will do mean shit like trap your cat in a live trap and ship it to Cuba?

Keep your cat indoors where its safe if you have concerns like this.
    Last edited by RaisedByWolves; June 1st, 2009 at 05:35 PM.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    First off let me state that Im a cat owner and I like them as pets very much.

Now:

Keep him inside where he belongs, you wouldnt let your dog roam , or your Parrot fly around the neighborhood would you? Your neighbors will attempt to kill your cat if it suits them. Your neighbors kid will try to kill your cat for fun if hes bored. Your neighbors dog will kill your cat for sport. Some people hate cats and even as a cat liker, I dont appreciate when the neighbors cat kills birds at the feeder and picks the fish out of the pond. I had a neighbors cat pluck a juicy $75 Coi out of my pond at my last house. They paid for the fish for various and sundry reasons and kept their cat indoors thereafter.

My yard is regularly full of feathers and dead things.........Not from my cats which spend their days indoors.

Will your cat F up the local ecology? Maybe not, but ten cats in a neighborhood can.

Did I mention that your neighbors will do mean shit like trap your cat in a live trap and ship it to Cuba?

Keep your cat indoors where its safe if you have concerns like this.
    + REP to you for giving him some great advice . I hate when someones cat comes through my yard and can't make the next fence before my shepherd gets there .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Keep your cat inside.

If it happens to wander into my yard (Rocky's) chasing prey or something to play with, Rocky will definitely take offense to that and probably not let the cat jump the fence.

Its already happened here with the neighborhood stray. The stray killed Rocky's chipmunk friend that lived in my garage. Not a pretty sight.

Keep your cat inside, otherwise he might encounter a 100 pound German Shepherd with a taste (distaste) for cats. Or worse, a bird bunny lover neighbor with a gun.

Keep your bank account and your cat. Keep it inside.
    Last edited by Michele; June 1st, 2009 at 06:05 PM.

(Adams County)

I think you may have issue with him if he's more or less an outdoor cat made indoors, some cats take to it while others don't. At the very least, he'll probably try to run outside as often as you open the door now that he's tasted freedom.

Tom's advice is spot on, but if the cat hasn't been fixed yet get him fixed. If he's adopted he probably already was, but it needed ot be said

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Jefferson County)

One cat alone, no. But when you total up what a lot of cats can do, yes.

Just ask the folks up in Wisconsin and Minnesota how cats can mess up the ecosystem. They are experiencing a major declining in bird and small mammal populations due to pet and feral cats. ..Bad enough to legalize hunting of feral cats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast