Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Funny how OC can change behavior sometimes

So I had to go to Mt. Pocono today to order a part for our car and since we are basically stranded until I get it fixed (long story, god damn computer crap) I decided to hit the smoke shop up there. Walk in, LONG line, mostly old women from NY stocking up before they go back so I wait. Just as I am ready to move up to the checkout I spy 2 'gang banger wannbees' stroll through the door. I glance over and they are basically doing the 'hip hop walk' yacking about something (I heard "Yo Be, sup with dat") before the one glances at me and then straight to my hip and the G27 sitting there. Funny thing, they stopped INSTANTLY, shut the F up and politely stood in line just like normal people.

Next to NAPA, again standing in line minding my business and one guys kids are running around a bit. The ones runs by me and comes eye to eye with my hip (not too close, I wouldn't let that happen). I look down and smile, he gives me a sheepish grin and goes back over by daddy and they just stand there quiet as mice until daddy is done.

And for the trifecta I stopped at the liquor store since I ain't sitting my ass at home for a few days without drinks. By this point all the people at that store (the one in Shoprite) know me fairly well (most of them also rotate down to our store where everyone knows everyone) so they don't give me so much as a glance. But again here comes another guy down the aisle towards me, looking like Snoop Dog, doing the hip hop walk (this neighborhood is really going to hell FAST) until he spies the Glock. He stops briefly, looks down and picks up whatever it was he was getting, I grab the green apple vodka and as I turn he stops and says 'excuse me' I almost bumped into him turning around). I apologize and tell him to go ahead, He motions for me to go and we both walk to the checkout, him behind me. Never saw so much as a glimpse of the original 'gansta attitude' that I noticed when I first saw him.

So I gotta ask, we all say an armed society is a polite society but does it 'rub off' on the non carriers cause if it does we need to get the word out!

(York County)

Default Re: Funny how OC can change behavior sometimes

Yes, isn't it funny the way your perceptions of people changes the minute you are aware that they have viewed your OC.

I can't say anything like this has happened around me, (unless you count BlockBusters!) I have yet to catch anyone even noticing my OC.

I'm betting this may change as the weather improves. Who knows.

Props to you for this report... sounds like a great day!

ETA: apparently someone thinks i've repped you enough lately.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Great post! Totally agree with you on the "sudden behavior changes". Seen it many times myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Props to you for this report... sounds like a great day!

Actually it has been a HORRIBLE day but that's the 'meat and potatoes' of another thread.

(Monroe County)

I don't think the behaviors you witnessed have anything to do with the saying, an armed society is a polite society. I believe it has everything to do with the fact that firearms have for so long been portrayed as something only bad guys and cops carry, that seeing someone open carry, the mind automatically seeks to characterize you. Either you are a bad guy, or you are an authority figure. The mind, as it is apt to do, instantly runs through the associated reference points, and decides that since you have yours out in the open, in a holster, you are not acting like an idiot, and you are patiently conducting your business, you must be an authority figure. People who are doing something they would not do in front of an authority figure, upon their mind recognizing you as one, change their behavior. That simple really.

Good post, bro.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    So I had to go to Mt. Pocono today

... I spy 2 'gang banger wannbees' stroll through the door.
    "Gang banger wannabees"... In MT. Pocono??? Surely you jest!

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lehigh County)

i kind of experienced the same thing a few days ago.... now we have an invisible fence set up in our yard and our dogs abide by it.... now a guy walking his dog past the front of our house decided to start yelling at ym dogs because he thought they wer out off a leash and just running around..... so of course i walk to the corner of my house to see what the hell this idiot was yelling about and my male american bulldog goes running to the edge of theyard.... he stops in our yard and the other guys dog comes into our yard.... he then says to me "you need to keep those fu**ing dogs on a leash" then he walks off....

well about 15 minutes later the guy he lives with,... wether he is his sexual partner or roomate or something.... he walks up the lot next to our house and then around the back of our cars and down the alley.... so im standing there watching him like a hawk.... he then comes back down the side and confronts the mrs.... saying that there are "lease" laws instead of leash laws.... well he left after some smart ass remarks from my fiancee which really piossed him off....

fast forward like an hour... i was out back doing some yard work and this dumbass decided he was going to start a confrontation with me.... now im not the smallest guy in earth here and i was easily 2 times the size of him.... well i see him as soo as he rounds the side of my house and he is staring me right in the eye..... since you guys have started to rub off on me and i find mself oc'ing all the time i was obviously.... oc'ing... well he got about 5 feet away from me and had one of those pissed off wife looks.... he goes to open his mouth and looks at my hip.... his mouth stayed open and nothing came out.... then he turned around and stomped off..... havnt had an problems with that guy since.... but i think that people seem to be more polite and well mannered when they see someone with a firearm...

(Chester County)

What's a "wanna be gang banger" and how do you tell them apart from gang bangers?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I don't think the behaviors you witnessed have anything to do with the saying, an armed society is a polite society. I believe it has everything to do with the fact that firearms have for so long been portrayed as something only bad guys and cops carry, that seeing someone open carry, the mind automatically seeks to characterize you. Either you are a bad guy, or you are an authority figure. The mind, as it is apt to do, instantly runs through the associated reference points, and decides that since you have yours out in the open, in a holster, you are not acting like an idiot, and you are patiently conducting your business, you must be an authority figure. People who are doing something they would not do in front of an authority figure, upon their mind recognizing you as one, change their behavior. That simple really.

Good post, bro.

Interesting perspective, that has a lot of merit.

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I believe it has everything to do with the fact that firearms have for so long been portrayed as something only bad guys and cops carry, that seeing someone open carry, the mind automatically seeks to characterize you. Either you are a bad guy, or you are an authority figure.
    Now wait a minute Joe, you have met me ... I don't think there is ANYONE that would ever mistake me for an 'authority figure' but then again I act in a polite respectable manner too so I'm not giving off any criminal signals .... maybe I'm just confusing the hell out of them?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast