Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rossi single shot 243

I'm thinking of getting my youngest son a single shot 243 for deer season this year. He's a little gun shy so I thought a 243 would be a good place to start. Has anyone shot one of the Rossi rifles? I was wondering how accurate/dependable they are. I didn't want to spend a lot of money since he will only use this gun a few yrs before I upgrade him to something bigger. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Rossi single shot 243

sure , BUT , instead of the rossi , I would spend a little bit more money ... and get him the new england handi rifle in 243 instead ............ better gun ..... better options for changing barrels ........ better everything for a tiny bit more money

I'll check them out before I buy. Thanks

How old is your son? I would certainly look at the Thompson Center Encore. I would cut the stock to fit him. When he is older you can replace the butt stock or save the piece and epoxy it back.You have really lost nothing and your son will have a firearm that he will be proud to own for the rest of his life.

My grandson is 5 now and already doing well with the 10/22. Just bought him a CZ left hand .22 bolt action so he can learn to use the bolt gun. I am looking seriously at the Encore for him. I will probably buy one in .243 and start playing with it until he is old enough to really hunt.

The .243 is a fine cartridge. I hunted with one until I shot the barrel out - took about 30 years. If you reload I would download the cartridge somewhat and probably use a 90 grain Nosler. Happy shooting and hunting.

Just a tip I used for my young shooters - for learning game anatomy and proper aiming - cut a hole about 1.5 inches in diameter in a piece of cardboard and tape some black thread "crosshairs" across it. We would sit and look at hunting magazines and let him practice placing the "scope" in the proper place - which incidentally is so that the bullet will pass between the front legs and about halfway up no matter what the angle of the shot.

(Dauphin County)

I've got a noise and recoil sensitive kid. Drives me alittle batty at times. A .22 rifle was cool but the pellet gun scared him!? Go as heavy as he can hold. He'll grow into the weight but if the rifle is too lite.. all of that 243 might show up on the backside. I've been taking the slow approach..we'll be up to a 243 in..ah..er..when he is..I'll be dead and gone by then.

I honestly believe when you compare them side by side you will see what I mean.
    This gun here is with my 243 barrel that i had cut down and recrowned. It will put 4 rds of rem 100gr core lokts psp's into 1.5 inches at the 200yd line.

WMG. Looks like you got a helluva a shooter there.

Thank you , I had been told I ruined all accuracy when I had the barrel cut by many people. I am sure the velocity dropped but it shoots better than a $195.00 gun has a right to using 10 dollar a box ammo. It handles so well in a blind or treestand and carrying it threw the woods is a breeze.
    I've had a few of their barrels and never been disappointed with any, the 223 barrel kills my g'hogs out to 300yds but then my "hits" drop only because of my lack of a range finder.
    Williams also makes a peep site for this gun that goes into the scope base screw holes.
    N.E.F has been turning out 500 s&w barrels for some time now ..... thats got me thinking some , certainly a cheap way to be able to play with new calibers.
    And of course if you buy a new barrel for them , just ask and they will give you a free trigger job, which by the way I have not taken advantage of ..... yet.

I would also recommend the NEF/H&R over a Rossi. I had an H&R Ultra .223 that would shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I sold it to a friend because he wanted it and I wasn't shooting it much. The wood on the H&R Ultra was very nice, but I prefer synthetic stocks. I find them to be more durable for hunting conditions. NEF does offer a nice choate stock for their rifles now. If your son outgrows the rifle and wants other calibers, you can indeed send in the receiver to NEF and add other calibers. They are a little heavy due to the heavy barrel and the stocks. I konw that NEF does offer some lighter contoured barrels as well.

(Westmoreland County)

I bought my son a Rossi Match Pair .22lr/20ga a couple of years ago. I liked the gun so much that I bought myself a .223 varmint combo. Both are great guns for the money.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast