Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Good Handgun For First Timer?

Good evening everyone!

My name is Dave. I live in the Levittown, PA area and I would like to purchase a handgun. This would be my first purchase of a handgun. The purpose is for self defense of home and self. I am a large mammal (about 6' 2") so I am not fearful of a large handgun. At this time I am not looking to carry this weapon, just to have it in the house for self defense and to take it to the range from time to time for target shooting.

I have been to Ready Aim Fire in Bristol and have fired 9MM and at 40 caliber pistols and neither seemed to be "too much gun".

So, can anyone suggest a good first hangun for a first timer. I would like something that I will not quickly grow out of, is easy to maintain and has ammunition that is readily available.

Also, I am considering making the purchase at either Mikes or Ready Aim Fire. Any suggestions here as well?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: Good Handgun For First Timer?

Welcome to the forum!

I would have to say something in 9mm or 45.
    The choices are endless, it's going to be a matter of what catches your fancy. Go to a range and try some on, which it seems you have done to an extent. Other than that your going to get a ton of opinions with no real answer to your question.

IMHO you can't go wrong with a Ruger or an XD.

XD,Glock, both are easy to maintain and both priced fairly well...But in the end it is what ur comfortable with..Glock only has safe action trigger no other safety...XD has grip safety and safe action trigger..

(Allegheny County)

my recommendations:

1. go with 9mm. the ammo is cheaper--er at least it has always been historically and will be again once sanity returns to the ammo market. this means you can practice more...and practicing a lot is very important if you are going to carry. you need to be able to hit what you want to hit under great stress.

2. don't get too small of a guin. smaller guns are generally harder to shoot well. so they make bad first guns.

3. stay away from guns that have two different trigger pulls (one for the first shot and a different one for follow-up shots). these are commonly called double-action/single-action (or DA/SA) pistols. the learning curve with these guns is much steeper because you have to learn two trigger presses and you have to learn to transition between them. and, again, if you are going to carry, you have to learn it all to the point where you can do it unconciously under incredible stress and hit what you want to hit with each shot.

4. i personally am a big fan of glocks, but there are certainly other great guns out there.

and last, but most importantly, get some good quality professional training.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; April 22nd, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
    F*S=k

(Philadelphia County)

I'd say get a glock 17 or 19 utterly reliable...usually 9mm is one of the most affordable info also..well nat as of late but it will go back down

(Bedford County)

I would go with a 9 or 40 in a XD, M&P or Glock. 9mm is cheaper....but these days .40 is much easier to find ammo for at a decent price. Either would be fine with me.

Then I would QUICKLY buy a .22 handgun such as a Browning Buckmark or Ruger MKIII.

NOTHING will make you a better shooter than putting rounds down range. The .22 handgun will give you hours of practice you could never get with the centerfire unless you make over $250,000 a year and Obama dosent find out about it.

I would buy the .22 first unless you feel the urge to get the defensive gun in a hurry. Either way...I would buy one of each.

Good luck, and stay safe!

(Lancaster County)

+1 to everything Buckmark just said!

(Berks County)

Welcome to our little corner of the interwebs

As was mentioned before, you can't go wrong with XDs or Glocks. But there are quite a few other great guns available. Get your hands on some Sigs. I have owned the 220, 226, and 229. All are excellent for any use. Play with the FNP's if you can. They are great guns for an even better price. Whatever you get, make sure it is one you like, and are comfortable with. Then shoot the crap out of it.

Happy shopping and happy shooting
    Is it five o'clock yet?

(Cumberland County)

I would say take a trip to your local gun shop and/or Cabela's/Bass Pro/Gander etc.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THE BIG NAME STORES!!! They will literally rape you in the ***. Just go and feel up some of the guns that catch your eye. They just tend to have a bigger selection than most small local stores. But it is these smaller stores you will actually want to purchase from. They can order anything you want to get.
    If you want to, you can even bring a list of what you liked back on the forum and we would be more than happy to give you our opinions (not to be taken as too valuable though ) and any info on them we have.

IMHO, I would check out a 1911 for my first handgun. I think eveyone should own at least one. Also, Sigs are awesome guns, but usually harder to find and somewhat pricey. Plus, it is a scientifically proven fact that once you catch the SIGness, your bank account becomes VERY VERY dry

Glocks, XD's, M&P's are also very popular multi-purpose guns.

And since you are a larger guy, you will be able to conceal a bigger gun than most more easily than most.
    Again, JMHO.

Good luck hunting and let us know (with pics) what you decide on

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    I would say take a trip to your local gun shop and/or Cabela's/Bass Pro/Gander etc.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THE BIG NAME STORES!!! They will literally rape you in the ***. Just go and feel up some of the guns that catch your eye. They just tend to have a bigger selection than most small local stores. But it is these smaller stores you will actually want to purchase from. They can order anything you want to get.
    If you want to, you can even bring a list of what you liked back on the forum and we would be more than happy to give you our opinions (not to be taken as too valuable though ) and any info on them we have.

IMHO, I would check out a 1911 for my first handgun. I think eveyone should own at least one. Also, Sigs are awesome guns, but usually harder to find and somewhat pricey. Plus, it is a scientifically proven fact that once you catch the SIGness, your bank account becomes VERY VERY dry
    Cabela's is a great place to browse, but not too great to buy. They can have good deals, but usually you spend $50-$100 more than a smaller store.

1911's are great guns. I originally wanted a 1911 as my first gun and instead bought an XD. Then I caught the Signess jachrist mentioned. Terrible disease. Since then I have bought nothing but Sig and no money.
    Is it five o'clock yet?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast