Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default new member with a tranfer question

I have read a lot about transfering firearms and am a little confused.
    My situation is this: My father passed away and the will states my mother receives everything. I was told that my mother can give me the guns with no FFL involvement. I do have power of attorney for my mother. My Dads brother who resides in florida wants a rifle. I think I understand that we would have to go through a dealer here and in florida. What if I sell the rifle to my uncles son who does live in Pa. Can he give it then to his father without an FFL? The other issue is the rifle is an M1 Garand that he got through the civilian marksmanship program and he had to get fingerprinted by the state police before getting it. Does that fact have any bearing on how to handle this?

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: new member with a tranfer question

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    I have read a lot about transfering firearms and am a little confused.
    My situation is this: My father passed away and the will states my mother receives everything. I was told that my mother can give me the guns with no FFL involvement. correct as long as you both live in PA

I do have power of attorney for my mother. My Dads brother who resides in florida wants a rifle. I think I understand that we would have to go through a dealer here and in florida. Kinda right--you do not need to go through a dealer in PA. You do need to go through an FFL in Fla though. Once you get his ffl dealers info in Fla, you can then send the gun directly to the FFL in Fla. The FFL in Fla will then transfer to your uncle.

What if I sell the rifle to my uncles son who does live in Pa. Can he give it then to his father without an FFL? you can sell the rifle directly to your uncles son without an FFL transfer here in PA. But if the uncles son wants to ship it to his dad in Fla, it will still need to go through an FFL in Fla.

The other issue is the rifle is an M1 Garand that he got through the civilian marksmanship program and he had to get fingerprinted by the state police before getting it. Does that fact have any bearing on how to handle this? No, i don't know why he would have need to be finger printed for the M1.

Thanks
    You are welcome---sorry for your loss.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; April 21st, 2009 at 09:31 PM.

(Armstrong County)

Sorry for your loss. The CMP has no affect, but I'm not sure on the rest. I know that your mother can hand you all the firearms with out transfer, but am unsure about the uncle and cousin who wish to have one. You could always sell it to me cheap and know its in a good home j/k

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    No, i don't know why he would have need to be finger printed for the M1.
    He had to be finger printed when he bought it through the CMP because the ship it directly to his house, not to a FFL

(Centre County)

Metalhead, Guns4Fun gave you the correct answers.

There is no requirement for fingerprinting to buy a CMP rifle. If you check the website it gives you all the information that is needed to purchase from the CMP.

By law, the CMP can sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items only to members of CMP affiliated clubs who are also U.S. citizens, over 18 years of age and who are legally eligible to purchase a firearm.

The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result. IMPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase.

The rifles can be shipped directly to the purchaser because of how the CMP is set up (and in the past the DCM - Directorate of Civilian Marksmanship) and the laws that direct how it operates.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepyromaniak View Post
    He had to be finger printed when he bought it through the CMP because the ship it directly to his house, not to a FFL
    Good info---i did not know the cmp shipped direct. Thanks

(Bucks County)

My uncle will be coming up from florida in may and he will be driving up. So if I were to sell the rifle to his son can his son still give him the rifle for him to take back or does he have to still ship it to an FFL?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    My uncle will be coming up from florida in may and he will be driving up. So if I were to sell the rifle to his son can his son still give him the rifle for him to take back or does he have to still ship it to an FFL?
    Thanks
    Needs to be shipped to FFL.
    Itra-state, no ffl, inter-state, ffl required, in home state.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for all the replies