Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default ANOTHER Monroe county courthouse 'incident' averted

Well not wanting to brag but thank god my buddy called me before he went!

Let me explain. I am talking about my friend that was afraid of his guns being taken because of a problem between her, him and the child I mentioned a few weeks back. That problem has been averted BUT tonight he had to go to Monroe county courthouse for a 'parenting class', held AFTER hours and in the basement of the courthouse.

He called right after dinner and asked about carrying in this situation, knowing he wouldn't be going through the main door and metal detectors. I gave him the standard "Pa law states courthouse facilities MUST offer secure lockers for valid LTCF people to lock up their weapons upon enetering" ... he said "But this is after hours and in the basement". I repeated the same line and told him the courthouse is the courthouse and the law must be obeyed.

Fast forward 4 hours and my phone rings, it's my buddy. He tells me when he got to the front of the line he told the sheriff "I have a weapon to check in" while producing his LTCF. The deputy was at first flustered, asking where he lived (and once hearing where said "too far to take it home"). My buddy mentioned PA state law and the PA UFA and immediately the deputy said "I'll be right back"

Within minutes the deputy returned, led my buddy up to the lockers and went through that process. Once the class was over the same deputy took my friend back up to that locker to retrieve his weapon. While re-holstering his weapon the deputy told him "I'm not saying you shouldn't carry a weapon, we just don't expect it at these classes". They talked some more, ended it with a handshake and a 'take it easy" and things seemed great.

So while I wasn't there it SEEMS my advice worked well there is still some 'education' for Monroe county deputies BUT tonight it worked well because of advice ... and of course ALL that advice came from the AMAZING people here!

Strike up another win in Monroe county!

(Venango County)

Default Re: ANOTHER Monroe county courthouse 'incident' averted

The only thing that could make this story any better, were if your friend was taking Anger Management classes!! "I need to check it in NOW!!"
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    The only thing that could make this story any better, were if your friend was taking Anger Management classes!! "I need to check it in NOW!!"
    No funny enough my friend Tommy (who has some anger issues) took the 'high road' and used honey ... while he attempted to quote "chapter and verse" he couldn't but bless him he kept his cool and handled it professionally and it worked out well.

I consider Tommy somewhat a 'son' (while he is only 10 years younger than I am) .. we have been friends longer than I can even remember but I have always been 100% straight up with him and he the same .... I am TRYING to cultivate another upstanding 'gun toting' citizen in him ... going to call him tomorrow and tell him to get his BUTT signed up here.... the more 'soldiers for the cause' we have, the better!

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    No funny enough my friend Tommy (who has some anger issues) took the 'high road' and used honey ... while he attempted to quote "chapter and verse" he couldn't but bless him he kept his cool and handled it professionally and it worked out well.

I consider Tommy somewhat a 'son' (while he is only 10 years younger than I am) .. we have been friends longer than I can even remember but I have always been 100% straight up with him and he the same .... I am TRYING to cultivate another upstanding 'gun toting' citizen in him ... going to call him tomorrow and tell him to get his BUTT signed up here.... the more 'soldiers for the cause' we have, the better!
    Good job on steering him to take the "high road".

Now about this father figure thing..........

(Luzerne County)

... The deputy was at first flustered, asking where he lived (and once hearing where said "too far to take it home").
    We really need to start hammering these SO's on this. This is unacceptable. Nobody gives a shit what they're preference is and this telling folks to do something, knowing the law as this deputy obviously did, just to see if they comply first and then obeying the law only after failing that routine is 100% unacceptable.

Shame on Monroe County Sheriff's Deputy.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Cumberland County)

its great to teach/learn the law.

and it's great to see more "handshakes" rather than awkward and unusual outcomes when it comes to carry laws and horror stories you hear.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Now about this father figure thing..........
    OK you can stop now .. Tommy has been a friend for as long as I can remember .. and I have ALWAYS tried to steer him right. Now granted the 'boy' tends to get excited but I have ALWAYS tried to 'reel him in' and show him the truth and the 'reality of our actions' and he has been a good student .... tonight being an example.

Let's hope he keeps it up!

(Monroe County)

Well not wanting to brag but thank god my buddy called me before he went!

Let me explain. I am talking about my friend that was afraid of his guns being taken because of a problem between her, him and the child I mentioned a few weeks back. That problem has been averted BUT tonight he had to go to Monroe county courthouse for a 'parenting class', held AFTER hours and in the basement of the courthouse.

He called right after dinner and asked about carrying in this situation, knowing he wouldn't be going through the main door and metal detectors. I gave him the standard "Pa law states courthouse facilities MUST offer secure lockers for valid LTCF people to lock up their weapons upon enetering" ... he said "But this is after hours and in the basement". I repeated the same line and told him the courthouse is the courthouse and the law must be obeyed.

Fast forward 4 hours and my phone rings, it's my buddy. He tells me when he got to the front of the line he told the sheriff "I have a weapon to check in" while producing his LTCF. The deputy was at first flustered, asking where he lived (and once hearing where said "too far to take it home"). My buddy mentioned PA state law and the PA UFA and immediately the deputy said "I'll be right back"

Within minutes the deputy returned, led my buddy up to the lockers and went through that process. Once the class was over the same deputy took my friend back up to that locker to retrieve his weapon. While re-holstering his weapon the deputy told him "I'm not saying you shouldn't carry a weapon, we just don't expect it at these classes". They talked some more, ended it with a handshake and a 'take it easy" and things seemed great.

So while I wasn't there it SEEMS my advice worked well there is still some 'education' for Monroe county deputies BUT tonight it worked well because of advice ... and of course ALL that advice came from the AMAZING people here!

Strike up another win in Monroe county!
    I hope this reads clearly....
    I think that:

A.) The basement is not part of the "courthouse" and the fact that he didn't have to go through a security check point reinforces that. However, asserting that to your friend that,"The courthouse is the courthouse", while continuing to help blur that line, probably saved him more than a little grief.

B.) I don't know if I classify this as a win or not. If the deputy had heard your friend lived on main street, would the situation have turned out differently? It seems as though he still wanted to deny your friend access, and went to get clarification. That he wound up providing access to the lockers is great, and obviously due to your friend following your advice, but it seems to me that the whole thing should not have occurred in the first place, and instead of actually moving us forward, we have only had a reinforcement of a different behaviour.

Good on you though, DC. Hope this came across right

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    We really need to start hammering these SO's on this. This is unacceptable. Nobody gives a shit what they're preference is and this telling folks to do something, knowing the law as this deputy obviously did, just to see if they comply first and then obeying the law only after failing that routine is 100% unacceptable.

Shame on Monroe County Sheriff's Deputy.
    Right on the money, as usual.
    Last edited by headcase; March 12th, 2009 at 10:46 AM.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry