Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default First Negative OC Encounter *UPDATED*

well, it happened. i've been OCing for a year now. 50+ times OCing at this grocery store.

after Physical therapy i stopped by Giant Eagle in Murrysville to pick up some Fish sandwiches and get my perscriptions filled. i was OCing my sig as always and went first to the hot food counter to order 9 fish sandwiches. the lady told me it would be about 10-15 minutes. i told her i needed to get some scripts filled at the pharmacy and then i would be back.

after dropping off the scripts i walked around for a while and then went and picked up the sandwiches. i then went to get some coleslaw to go with them.

while waiting at the deli i see the asst. manager walking toward me. i knew her from when i worked there 12+ years ago.

she walks over to me:

Her: you need to put your gun in your car. (add athorative tone here)

me: sorry, but that makes it easier for it to be stolen. i didn't see a no firearms sign posted and i have been OCing here for more than a year.

Her: you can't carry like that it's against our policy.

Me: do you have a copy of your policy so i can read it?

her: i'll have to call the owner, but you can't have that in here.

me: (handing her an OC/CC flier) please feel free to read this while talking to the owner. i have done nothing illegal and OC is legal in PA. may i finish my shopping or would you like me to leave.

her: you can leave your cart here and we'll watch it while you put your firearm in your car. then i'll call the owners

me: no thanks, i'll take my business elsewhere...(leaving cart and walking away)

her: you can finish your shopping, we had to confront you since a customer once dropped a gun on the floor and scared everyone. just cover it up for now.

me: fine, i'll cover for now and then i'll finish and pay. i'll be contacting your corporate HQ for your policy.

Her:Fine (walks away)

after paying she confronts me as i'm walking out uncovering my firearm and starts asking if i have a permit to carry

me: i don't need a permit to OC

her: do you have a permit

Me: i don't need a LTCF to OC

do you have a permit:

me: did you see me drive here?

her: no

me: well, since i did drive here then yes i would need a LTCF

her: that's all i wanted to know. (insert image of "Pissed Off" on her face)

i got in my truck and left.

getting home i sent a letter to Giant Eagles corporate office about this incident.

ETA: at one point outside she said she was gonna call the police, i told her that i will wait at my truck for them and for her to use my phone.
    Last edited by renegadephoenix; March 6th, 2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Vicodin
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: First Negative OC Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    after paying she confronts me as i'm walking out uncovering my firearm and starts asking if i have a permit to carry

me: none of your fucking business

getting home i sent a letter to Giant Eagles corporate office about this incident.

that's about as much as she would've gotten out of me.

i don't mind covering up when asked. it's their right to ask you, and it's also their right to ask you to leave, as well. it's the fucking ass-hattery that gets to me.

(Allegheny County)

This is just my opinion based only upon reading what you have typed.

• You started to leave without making a puchase, and should have. She "won".

• You started to argue "OC legality" which she hasn't a care in the world about - she only wanted an answer about your "permit" which she got. She "won".

Unexpected objections can be a tricky thing to handle and "gun laws" condensed into 3 sentences are not very convincing to someone who simply wants to not see a gun in plain view.

Cool of you to post this though.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Mercer County)

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Not to dump on you, but I would have asked for the head manager or just left the cart. Then I would write letter and throw her under the bus...heh, heh, heh.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This is just my opinion based only upon reading what you have typed.

• You started to leave without making a puchase, and should have. She "won".

• You started to argue "OC legality" which she hasn't a care in the world about - she only wanted an answer about your "permit" which she got. She "won".

Unexpected objections can be a tricky thing to handle and "gun laws" condensed into 3 sentences are not very convincing to someone who simply wants to not see a gun in plain view.

Cool of you to post this though.
    as for not leaving, i had just about everything i needed and was in no mood to go to suresave down the road since i don't like their fish sandwiches and my local firehall was PACKED!!!

this was more to defuse the situation. i did leave out the part where she was gonna call the police. i told her i'll wait at my truck for them and that she could use my phone.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I notice she ask you to cover it up. Now if you didn't have a permit am I correct in thinking that you can not conceal the gun? Then you'd be breaking the law. I'm just trying to get it straight. You can carry in Pa. openly without a permit, but can't have it on you when you drive. (I'm guessing transport in the trunk). But if you have a LTCF you can carry either way and can also carry in a car?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    well, it happened. i've been OCing for a year now. 50+ times OCing at this grocery store.

after Physical therapy i stopped by Giant Eagle in Murrysville to pick up some Fish sandwiches and get my perscriptions filled. i was OCing my sig as always and went first to the hot food counter to order 9 fish sandwiches. the lady told me it would be about 10-15 minutes. i told her i needed to get some scripts filled at the pharmacy and then i would be back.

after dropping off the scripts i walked around for a while and then went and picked up the sandwiches. i then went to get some coleslaw to go with them.

while waiting at the deli i see the asst. manager walking toward me. i knew her from when i worked there 12+ years ago.

she walks over to me:

Her: you need to put your gun in your car. (add athorative tone here)

me: sorry, but that makes it easier for it to be stolen. i didn't see a no firearms sign posted and i have been OCing here for more than a year.

Her: you can't carry like that it's against our policy.

Me: do you have a copy of your policy so i can read it?

her: i'll have to call the owner, but you can't have that in here.

me: (handing her an OC/CC flier) please feel free to read this while talking to the owner. i have done nothing illegal and OC is legal in PA. may i finish my shopping or would you like me to leave.

her: you can leave your cart here and we'll watch it while you put your firearm in your car. then i'll call the owners

me: no thanks, i'll take my business elsewhere...(leaving cart and walking away)

her: you can finish your shopping, we had to confront you since a customer once dropped a gun on the floor and scared everyone. just cover it up for now.

me: fine, i'll cover for now and then i'll finish and pay. i'll be contacting your corporate HQ for your policy.

Her:Fine (walks away)

me: i don't need a permit to OC

her: do you have a permit

Me: i don't need a LTCF to OC

do you have a permit:

me: did you see me drive here?

her: no

me: well, since i did drive here then yes i would need a LTCF

her: that's all i wanted to know. (insert image of "Pissed Off" on her face)

The first one is tough. I won't Monday morning you too bad. If she was giving me an attitude, I would have left my cart and walked out. I also would have just said, "Excuse me, I'm finished here, have a nice day.", when she asked if I had a permit. Good on you for posting this.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Venango County)

Close! but you really can't transport it in the trunk, and then OC....there are very narrow exceptions for transport of a pistol....but with a LTCF you are covered

ETA...and yes if you do not have a LTCF it is illegal to cover it up....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Allegheny County)

Though I fully support OC, I also support private property rights. As soon as a manager had told me to leave, I would be heading out the door with not another word. No arguments, no accusatory questions, no demanding to see written policies, nothing. Unless you own the place, and it seems you don't. You can bring it up with corporate later.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    I notice she ask you to cover it up. Now if you didn't have a permit am I correct in thinking that you can not conceal the gun? Then you'd be breaking the law. I'm just trying to get it straight. You can carry in Pa. openly without a permit, but can't have it on you when you drive. (I'm guessing transport in the trunk). But if you have a LTCF you can carry either way and can also carry in a car?
    *bold is mine.

You've been through more than one discussion about this, so I am surprised you would post this.

NO, you can not have a firearm in your car in Pa., without a LTCF except if you meet certain exceptions. Transporting to OC is not one of those, so NO transport in the trunk.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast