Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 2A Photograph

Default 2A Photograph

I picked up a camera (for the wife, heh) last October and started messing around with photography which quickly got me into lighting. So, I setup some homemade lights to try and do some interesting projects with regards to lighting and shadows and wound up taking this last night... it's by far one of my favorite pictures, although it still got a little processing love.

I know a few people here have a background in art or photography and I'd love any feedback.

http://flickr.com/photos/rhwiii/3326638139/

I'm trying to get that image on Flickr's Explore page, which is often rare for a 2A/gun related picture. Anyone with Flickr accounts who can comment/favorite the image, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Rob/Wynder
    Delaware Open Carry, Founder
    http://www.deloc.org/

(Delaware County)

Default Re: 2A Photograph

WOW.
    I'm not a big photo buff, but lighting is great, NRA logo stands out, shadows create interest. As good or better than a lot of pro work. Have you submitted it to NRA yet?
    I may have to sign up for Flicker just to comment.
    NRA for life.

Quote Originally Posted by CJR View Post
    WOW.
    I'm not a big photo buff, but lighting is great, NRA logo stands out, shadows create interest. As good or better than a lot of pro work. Have you submitted it to NRA yet?
    Thanks! I don't know where I would submit it to at the NRA...

I may have to sign up for Flicker just to comment.
    That would really be cool of you, hehe!
    Rob/Wynder

Very well done. Even better considering you have no formal training with lighting.

This photo would be fantastic for a NRA advertisement as the viewer's eye is immediately focused onto the logo on your chest.

In the end, a photo is all about the message you want to portray. If a complete stranger looks at your photo and thinks exactly what you want them to think, you've met your goal.

Keep up the good work and try using different angles with the lights you have.

Also, what camera were you using?

-Burnsie

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Also, what camera were you using?
    It was a Canon XSi -- mounted on it was a 70-200mm f/2.8 USM/IS telephoto lens. There's a link in the photo caption that leads to the setup with information on the camera, settings, and processing that was done to the photo.

Thanks again for the words, I'd like to find an email address for someone at the NRA who I could submit it to, heh.
    Rob/Wynder

(Luzerne County)

Add another "very nice!"

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wynder View Post
    It was a Canon XSi -- mounted on it was a 70-200mm f/2.8 USM/IS telephoto lens. There's a link in the photo caption that leads to the setup with information on the camera, settings, and processing that was done to the photo.

Thanks again for the words, I'd like to find an email address for someone at the NRA who I could submit it to, heh.
    70-200 f.8 thats a seriously fast lens also about 1600.00 bucks too. I minored in photo when I was at my last college. Personally I was a Nikon man and still am at heart. I had a Nikon D100 and I had 4 lenses that I used on a regular basis, I had a 50mm F1.8, 12-24 F4 ED DX AFS, 24-120 ED VR AFS, and the 80-200 ED VR AFS....I got out of the photo thing and stopped doing wedding work so i ended up selling it all about a year ago and was using a cheap canon point and shoot sd1000 for a while and i recently started taking photos again and didnt want a DSLR do i got a Panasonic FZ-28 with a leica lens and its been good so far.....sorry for the rambling, but nice photo and great use of light

I have to get some of my work up on the web..... one day

I picked it up for about $1450 on Amazon, but yeah -- I love the lens. I also have a Sigma 10-24mm 4.0-5.6, a 50mm 1.8 and a 60mm 2.8 macro. It's a fun (but expensive) hobby.

When you get some stuff up, let me know, I'd love to look at it.
    Rob/Wynder

Just wanted to say, "thanks again!" Almost 700 views and they're still trickling in... anyone who hasn't, I'd still really appreciate it if you could fav/comment or, at the very least, view it -- hoping to get on Explore with a gun photo when they roll over at 3am.
    Rob/Wynder