Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New To the site

(Delaware County)

Default New To the site

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone out there can point me to a good hunting coarse that my Son (12) and myself could take. He has a HUGH interest in guns and I really want him to learn about them in the proper way with respect for them. He has never shot a gun before so I am looking for a good coarse to teach him the basic and familiarization with firearms.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New To the site

Hi!

I'd suggest calling your local sportsmen club and asking if they sponsor any courses like that. Also, hunter safety courses that are geared towards kids are very heavy on firearm safety, and I would suggest considering them over any other kind of course.

For what's it worth, you can search for NRA courses that are coming up in your area here:
    Find an NRA course

but I would look for a local hunter safety course (the ones I did as a kid were sanctioned by the NRA, and they were awesome).

(Monroe County)

Go to this link , it is the calendar for the hunters/trapper safety courses in Pa. Find one close to you and sign up. They are free, and usually are two 8 hour days. They also usually serve lunch. Welcome to the site.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

The more learned members will guide you on your quest, I have a different comment to make. GREAT DAD!! Hats off to you sir for having the wisdom to foster you son's interest. Too often kids with curiosity about firearms are told "their dangerous" and the matter is over in the eyes of the parents. The reality is it isn't over, just covert. Too often those same kids get a hold of a firearm and get stupid. Your doing this right. A safety course, some range time. Many of us here have taught our children how to use guns. In general these kids are in less trouble, have higher self-confidence and self-discipline. The best of luck and skill to you and your boy. p.s., consider a nice quality bb gun for some good plinking time, it helps with targeting and more importantly safe gun handling, and can be done in the backyard or any decent woods. Practice is key.