Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Thumbs up She finally did it!

After a year of her debating it with herself, Mrs. 38SnubFan broke down, realized that she is the only person that can be 100% responsible for her and her children's safety 100% of the time, and yesterday afternoon applied for her LTCF.

She filled out the application and got her photo taken. I paid the $16 (I'll be paying the remaining $14 when her or I pick up her license).

She'll be starting out with my .38 snub-nose as her carry piece. She's comfortable with its size and caliber and I think it will be a nice little gun to learn with.

She'll be heading to the range soon with me to get it some practice. She's already all-too-familiar with firearms safety - She qualified in the Navy as a sharpshooter with the M16A1 and wants to save up to by herself an AR-15 to play with.

She'll also be signing up for the free Handgun Safety Course at Harrisburg Hunters & Anglers Club. I agreed I'd take the course with her as well, as I've already explained to her that shooting a handgun is a bit different from shooting a rifle. Also since she'll be carrying, she needs to learn the legal aspects of carrying and self-defense shooting.

She, like I used to be, is a little concerned as to what to tell her family/friends when they ask her, "Why do you need to carry a gun?" I told her the answer to why I carry is simple, which was her name followed by the names of our children. If she wanted a more comedic answer: "Because the whole damn cop is too heavy!"

Even though my wife wears jeans most of the time, there are times where she prefers or needs to wear a skirt or dress, and we're trying to consider some carry options for that. I'm thinking either a handbag with a built-in holster, or even having a holster stitched into one. Any suggestions you wonderful ladies here (and guys too - I'm sure you can come up with ideas, as my wife and I regularly shop for each other) will be greatly appreciated.

She'll proabably be CC most of the time, saving OC for any of the PAFOA functions she can attend with me. (I get to pick my own work hours as I run my own businesses - she unfortunately is restricted to a schedule.)

I'm so proud of her for making this very important next step in taking responsibility for her own personal safety.

-38SnubFan

Default Re: She finally did it!

Congratulations to your wife, and to you for finding her !

(Northampton County)

I am happy to hear that she is taking her personal safety seriously.

I will make this short. I was after my wife for two years to apply for her LTCF. One day while at a Mcdonalds in Allentown with the girls, she was a little uneasy about two guys insisting on interacting with them. After talking to the Manager, they were recognized as pedophiles. Within the next week she applied for her LTCF.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Monroe County)

Good for her .38

And 357, Pedophiles should be a lawful purpose listed right on the LTCF, IMO...Just sayin'

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by 38SnubFan View Post
    After a year of her debating it with herself, Mrs. 38SnubFan broke down, realized that she is the only person that can be 100% responsible for her and her children's safety 100% of the time, and yesterday afternoon applied for her LTCF.
    Welcome to the LTCF club, Mrs. 3-8! Consider yourself Repped-By-Proxy!

Nice! Hey can you do something for me... Have your wife write down what made her give in... or something I can show my better half to get her to want to get her LTCF. She is on the fence as of now for CC. And I realy want her to get one... Any tips or ideas?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    Nice! Hey can you do something for me... Have your wife write down what made her give in... or something I can show my better half to get her to want to get her LTCF. She is on the fence as of now for CC. And I realy want her to get one... Any tips or ideas?
    My wife initially got the nerve about a year ago when her ex still had contact with her (regarding my two step-sons). At one point, he started becoming a real ass to her and threatened her in an e-mail. However, he eventually got arrested for Failure To Appear at a Domestic Relations hearing, back child support, and Aggravated Assault on a Law Enforcement Officer. Knowing he wasn't going anywhere for a long time put her at ease and she decided that she didn't want to explain to our oldest boy why Mommy is carrying a gun.

A little while later, one of our neighbors got a Pit Bull and was training it to fight. More than once, the dog started to get loose from its owners grip and attempted to charge either my wife, myself, or one of the kids. After multiple times of trying to walk out of our building and being terrorized by this dog growling and trying to get loose from its owners to lunge at us, the thought process of being able to "perforate" the little beast if it would make it to one of us started to sink in.

Then (to my surprise), my wife came to me one day, telling me she had a dream where someone broke into our home, attacked her, and shot her multiple times through the upper body. Even though she wasn't dead, a bullet must have struck a nerve in her body making her unable to speak or move. I wasn't home, and the only gun owned was with me. She woke up from that dream crying, shaking, and unable to catch her breath.

Before she told me about the dream, she came right to me and said, "I'm getting my LTCF!" After telling me about the dream, I told her, "It's something that possibly won't happen, but it's something that also definitely COULD HAPPEN. I'll take you to the Courthouse and I'll even pay for the License."

And thus, she's filled out the paperwork, and I'm happily parting with $30.

I'll admit, I've asked my wife on multiple occasions when she's finally going to apply for it. Her response every time: "WHEN and IF I'm ready, I'll go do it."

Adam, your better half is "on the fence," which means she's not totally against getting it. My money says she wants to do it, but also understands the great responsibility that comes with having that License and carrying a firearm (openly or concealed). She's most likely mentally preparing herself for that responsibility.

So my tips/advice? Let her do it when she's ready. It's a personal decision to carry a firearm; a decision that nobody else can make but herself.

Until then, you can continue to set a good example through your carrying, taking her with you when you go to the range, and especially training her on Situational Awareness until she keeps herself in Condition Yellow.

Hope that helps you.

Wishing you and yours the best of luck,
    38SnubFan

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    And 357, Pedophiles should be a lawful purpose listed right on the LTCF, IMO...Just sayin'
    Agreed...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...