Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dual State Residency - Possible?

Hello,

I currently live in NYC and possess a NYC firearm license, which as many of you may know requires a lengthy and grueling process. It happens to be that I may soon be relocating to PA for medical school and thus will not be residing in NY for the most part. As a result of this, I would like to take up residency in PA to take advantage of the gun laws in the state, however I would also like to retain my residence (and residency) in New York so that I do not have to relinquish my license that I fought so hard to obtain.

And so my question is... Is it possible to obtain dual residency in both Pennnsylvania and New York? If so, how would I go about accomplishing this? Can I simply retain my NYC driver's license, as well as obtain a PA ID card that would allow me to purchase firearms?

Thank you in advance for any insight/input anyone may offer!

Default Re: Dual State Residency - Possible?

As far as getting a PA LTCF. You would have no problem getting one as an out of state resident since you do have your NY permit.

PA does not have a non-resident LTCF, it is the same license residents get. The only additional requirement when you apply, is to provide a copy of your state's gun permit/license.

The best county to apply in seems to be Centre County. And it all can be done thru the mail, here.

And as far as having dual residency, I know that you can only have a driver's license from one state at any one time.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    As far as getting a PA LTCF. You would have no problem getting one as an out of state resident since you do have your NY permit.

PA does not have a non-resident LTCF, it is the same license residents get. The only additional requirement when you apply, is to provide a copy of your state's gun permit/license.

The best county to apply in seems to be Centre County. And it all can be done thru the mail, here.

And as far as having dual residency, I know that you can only have a driver's license from one state at any one time.
    I'm not totally up to date on NY permits, but it's always sounded to me you need a license to even own guns in NYC, so the license may not be a license to carry for NY state so he may not be eligable for the PA ltcf per his current situation.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I'm not totally up to date on NY permits, but it's always sounded to me you need a license to even own guns in NYC, so the license may not be a license to carry for NY state so he may not be eligable for the PA ltcf per his current situation.
    Good catch. He may be talking the permit to own. The OP will need to specify.

(Venango County)

IANAL but I am thinking that dual citizenship is possible internationally but may hold you from some public offices, so there is a downside even to that.

However, I believe the laws are setup so that you are either a resident of one state or not. Tax-wise, it tends to be where-ever you spend the majority of your time.

If it were otherwise, we would all buy tiny plots in as many states as we could and claim residency in all 50 states. Then tax time becomes a mess but you could carry almost anywhere except NY,NJ,MD, CA and those kind of states.

This is just an edumicated guess.

When I left the military, I could claim any state as my state. I came back home to Pa. This is probably the similar situation that allowed Hillary Clinton to claim NY and run for the Senate.

Short answer is, "I don't think so."
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by WicKeDMD View Post
    Hello,

I currently live in NYC and possess a NYC firearm license, which as many of you may know requires a lengthy and grueling process.
    pics, or it didn't happen.

Most states have provisions in their statutes to address military personal and college students who are residents of another state but live in another. If PA had this, which, I'm sure they do, you'll be allowed to enjoy the rights and priviliges of a PA. State Resident but you would not be a Resident of PA based on the fact you are attending school and are a resident of another state.

Now, if you seek employment and change your residence on your tax form, get a PA drivers license etc...well, you just might have changed your state of citizenship.

A good place to look and for reference is PA. State Game Commission on Residency requirements to obtain a hunting license.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    Good point. Although there was another thread here recently where a guy said he got a PA LTCF with a NY gun owner permit or whatever they call it and not a concealed carry permit.
    I don't recall which PA county he said that was in.

So I guess it still wouldn't hurt to try if he has just the owner permit.

When the OP said it was a "lengthy and grueling process", I took that to mean it was a carry permit...although I guess getting permission to do anything with a gun (carry, own, look at, come within a mile of...) in NY/NYC is a lengthy and grueling process

(Chester County)

Here's how its defined by Pa Revenue Dept:

http://www.revenue.state.pa.us/reven...ue/rev-611.pdf

After doing a bit of digging on the internet, I came across this on the ATF website:

(B12) May a person (who is not an alien) who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a handgun in either State? [Back]

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

Apparently it's legal for me to possess residency in two states and buy/own firearms separately in each state. The only question remains: how does one go about doing this? I have read that some suggest obtaining a state ID card, however according to the PA DMV website, you must relinquish your driver's license or other state ID card (if you possess one). This seems odd to me given that I know states such as florida have something known as "partial-residency" for those who spend part of the year in FL and another part in some other state.

As far as my NYC firearm's license goes, I do not possess a license to carry, simply a license to own at home. As for carrying in PA, I also own a Florida CCW license, which I know is valid in PA as well.

From what I read on the ATF website, it would be perfectly legal for me to purchase handguns in both states assuming that I spent a decent portion of time in PA (during the school season) and NY (during the off-season/summer). So at this point I think the only question that remains is, how do I obtain a PA state ID card as proof of my PA residency without giving up my NYC driver's license.

Thanks for everyone's input!

source: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast