Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Enfields?

(Montgomery County)

Default Lee Enfields?

Saw a nice No.4 at a local shop a while back and have been thinking about picking it up once I get a gun safe. Anyone have experience with them? I love WWII rifles and think this would be a great addition to my collection, but I shoot the guns I own too and I'd like something that's still enjoyable to use.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Lee Enfields?

smle's are fun. i mean teh biggest drawback back to bolt actions is teh fun is over way to soon. enfields fixed that with their 10 rd magazine.

finding ammo, that's cheap yet still works can be a chore. that really cheap stuff that pops up now and agian, is still cheap for a reason or two......mainly click..........................bang.

.303 is a good time, your shoulder might not agree after a box or two, but it's all good.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Luzerne County)

I'm looking for a Mk.4 myself. Marvelous firearms.
    Here's a great video of one in rapid fire. Better than one round a second.....watch the fellow work the bolt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x3lOZ4yX6Y
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(York County)

enfields are pretty ncie rifles. i own several from a #1 mk3, #4 mk1 T sniper rifle, to a #4 mk2. they are fun too shoot but finding good non-corrosive surplus ammo is hard to do. still, the rifles are cheap and fun to shoot so it kinda makes up for the cost of ammo.

(Bucks County)

Hard to believe. Using a block of wood for a rest, no hand for support of muzzle jump, ( and very little of that for a .303 very light handloads possibly?) My take, doctored up video.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Chester County)

I've been looking for one too. I'm think I'm set on a No 4 Mk 1 with a pig sticker (coincidentally a friend's nickname in college, but for a much different reason).

Anything to look for, look out for? I most definitely want one made in the UK because if I'm going to buy a British gun, I want one made in Great Britain. Any easy way to spot a Brit without trying to disassemble the bolt? Are North American manufactured No. 4s typically marked as Mk 1* ? I almost bought one that didn't have the *, but when I went remove the bolt to inspect the barrel, there was no bolt release catch which scared me off, thinking it was made in NA.

(Luzerne County)

My, my...cynicism rears its ugly head. Doctored up video? Why on Earth would you think that? What would be the point of doctoring a video? Is he going to get a prize?
    Enfields have the reputation of being able to produce a rate of fire of one round a second. If you watch other videos of very rapid fire, you'll notice that the bolt and trigger technique is specialized. The bolt cocks on closing and the hand is not removed from the bolt, instead it drops a bit more so that the trigger can be hit by one of the fingers of the hand.
    Here's another, not quite as quick, but this guy is standing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5pS...eature=related
    This second video has the bolt hand technique clearly visible on the winning shooter:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m1yN...eature=related
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; February 6th, 2009 at 02:38 PM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Bucks County)

PeteD, Not impressed. I have a couple or 6 LE's. Kind of know how to shoot. Doctored videos are all over the web. Lots of folks need to have egos stroked. the guy firing offhand seems to have the system down, but, did he hit his target?
    My though is one shot on target is a whole lot better then 2 or more missed.
    Yes, I am a skeptic. I believe 50% of what I hear and even less of the crap I see on the web.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Allegheny County)

Save up and buy a Springfield 1903. or a M1 Garand, or a US M1917 Enfield. You'll still have a classic WWI/WWII shooter. Surplus 30.06 ammo is a lot cheaper and more plentiful. I'd even buy a Mauser in 8MM or a Mosin before I'd go the SMLE route (because of the ammo).
    Toujours pręt

(Luzerne County)

I suppose that you are correct about folk's egos. How sad that is, though, don't you think?
    Do you think that all three of those videos are doctored?
    I'm curious enough about the operating technique to want to go out and pick up an LE and give it a go. Did you notice how, especially visible in the prone rapid video, that the shooter does not grip the stock at all with his bolt/trigger hand? The gun is supported by the forward hand and the grip on the bolt. That seems to be what the fellow in the bench video is doing also - so there is some consistency there.
    You may have a better eye than I do, though; what strikes you as false? I have no problem with the gun being unsupported by a hand in front. That's the way I bench fire all but the heavy kickers.
    BTW - I doubt whether that fellow shooting offhand, hit anything but Mother Earth. I'm supposing that the whole "mad minute" idea is part of the British history with volley fire.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast