Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: saiga 12

Thumbs down saiga 12

Guys!

I’m new in hunting in the US. I just want to start. Originally I’m from Russia and, naturally, I first look at Russian equipment. I’ve read a lot of positives about Saiga-12. Reliability of AKM, etc. affect, of course. So, my questions: 1) Does it work well as a single multipurpose shotgun (for hunting and home defense); 2) Since it is semi-automatic, is it legal everywhere? 3) If not, what are the restricions?4) I have quite a low hunting experience but have some for animals (deer and moose) and birds. Does it work for these? Any advice is welcome very much. Of course, any other suggestions are also very much welcome. BTW, currently I’m living in TN (just in case someone can help me with the local rules).
    Thanks a lot folks.
    And, of course, any suggestions where to buy are more then welcome!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: saiga 12

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
    Guys!

I’m new in hunting in the US. I just want to start. Originally I’m from Russia and, naturally, I first look at Russian equipment. I’ve read a lot of positives about Saiga-12. Reliability of AKM, etc. affect, of course. So, my questions: 1) Does it work well as a single multipurpose shotgun (for hunting and home defense); 2) Since it is semi-automatic, is it legal everywhere? 3) If not, what are the restricions?4) I have quite a low hunting experience but have some for animals (deer and moose) and birds. Does it work for these? Any advice is welcome very much. Of course, any other suggestions are also very much welcome. BTW, currently I’m living in TN (just in case someone can help me with the local rules).
    Thanks a lot folks.
    And, of course, any suggestions where to buy are more then welcome!
    Welcome to the forum. Post your hunting related questions in the hunting sub forum, as you will get a much better response.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Montgomery County)

I've moved this to the shotgun forum, you;ll want to post specific HUNTING related questions in the hunting forum.

However, regarding hunting, you should FIRST check the tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency for a copy of Tennessee SPECIFIC Game laws for Hunting.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/

Game laws are different for every state, not all types of weapons are legal for small and large game, or birds, or migratory waterfowl (which may have additional Federal regulations)

check the web link above first, check your local laws, and check laws in wach state you want to hunt in.

regarding the Saiga 12 itself, its probably not the best "multipurpose" shotgun for home defense, or hunting, it doesn't lend itself to easily to the modifications that may be needed for some hunting (such as reduced magazine restrictions, aka "plugging" the mag to reduce rounds) and it may not easily fire all types of ammunition, weaker types (light hunting/trap type loads) may not cycle without gas system modification.

Add to that the short stock sights radius, and frankly, you'll be better off with a good pump action Remington 870, or Mossberg 500 for a dual use gun, especially one with a interchangeable barrels, a shorte rifled or smooth one for using slugs, and a longer one with interchangeable chokes for small game and fowl.

not to mention the Saigas are in VERY short supply these days, AND they are very expensive now, on the level of $650-$700+, you can get a good pump for about a third of that used.

dont get me wrong, i love my Saiga 12, but its been modified for primarily defensive/offensive purposes, not hunting...I have other dedicated/dual use shotguns for that purpose.

do a search on the "Saiga" in the shotgun forum, there's a lot of info on there.

Saigas in factory form are usually legal in most states that allow other semiautos, the way mine is configured is NOT legal in some states (New Jersey/new york, California, etc.

my Saiga looks like this.... not exactly what I plan to hunt with, although, with the 10rd stick mags, it does give the trap and skeet Fudds severe indigestion

Last edited by JayBell; February 5th, 2009 at 03:38 AM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

where'd you get the drums for the saiga 12? and how much did they set you back? definately cool

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    where'd you get the drums for the saiga 12? and how much did they set you back? definately cool
    http://www.mdarms.com/scripts/prodVi...idproduct=1714

MD Arms, the MD-20
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Do a search for saiga 12 "shitbird" and Frankenmag lol. Someone sells 2 round mags for hunting but I forget where(modified 5s).

Last edited by archangel689; February 5th, 2009 at 12:01 PM.

(Blair County)

Gilberts Guns used to sell factory 5rnd mags plugged to 2 rounds. There is also a harder to find 2 round mag that is factory but they are no longer imported and command a premium.

You can buy a wire plug limiter from Cobra76two over on the Saiga-12 forum for $5, or you can make your own which isn't hard to do.

The "shitbird" saiga is from some guys in Finland. I can't remember if they coined the frankenmag term or if that was on our side of the ocean.

Yes I'm a cesspool of worthless knowledge
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

JayBell:

Thank for the quick response!

I appreciate you advice. Could you please recommend something “multipurpose” from the point of view legacy in different states, choice of ammo, and simplicity in operation. As I’ve mentioned, I was grown in a quite different environment and am just learner here. In my old “life” I could chose something universal, simple and affordable in care and not demanding for supply. I travel a lot and would like to have with me something I can use irrespectively to local conditions/rules and possibilities to get supply.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

You really do have a better shotgun. As far as plugging your gun. I think this is very child like outdated law. Since your report gives you away. It's all the law should needs to bust you, is hear 4 shots. Saves everybody time and money.
    Oh and as far as you having a plugged magazine. The law has to see it anyway so why not have a 10 round magazine with 2 shells if you must show it to the law or even a drum if you must. I'm not trying to start trouble here by any means. Just why if you can hear the report of a gunshot and can ask to see if you have 2 shells in you magazine why should the law go any further than that? It's a waste of time, when the issue is 3 shots.