Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default OC in the winter

How do you guys OC in the winter?I don't mean to sound like a smart ass,but how do you OC with a coat on?I only OC while in the woods and when I'm hunting in the cold I put my gun in my cargo pants pocket so I can reach it.If I have it in a holster on my hip it's covered by my coat so I can't get to it easily.Aside from a leg holster how would you OC?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: OC in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by DougX View Post
    How do you guys OC in the winter?I don't mean to sound like a smart ass,but how do you OC with a coat on?I only OC while in the woods and when I'm hunting in the cold I put my gun in my cargo pants pocket so I can reach it.If I have it in a holster on my hip it's covered by my coat so I can't get to it easily.Aside from a leg holster how would you OC?
    Some people tuck their coat behind the holster. Some just wear shorter jackets. But the reality is that unless you are purposefully trying to make a point by insisting on OC, most people who OC don't care about their coat covering it outside in the cold. It is mostly a comfort and ease kind of thing. I know for me, unless I am consciously CC'ing or OC'ing, I just wear an OWB holster and if what I am wearing covers or not doesn't make a difference.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Most public service type jackets...mostly what I wear/have been issued, have a flap and zipper for such events. If you zip up the side of the jacket and then take the button strap and run it behind the holster you can stay warm in a long coat and keep it from coming up on that side. Otherwise short coats work...but they are not as warm. If you get a 5.11 parka like I have it comes with a fleece liner that has the same feature so you can dress down and still go OC...I don't really use it as I don't OC or even CC much because I'm usually on school grounds.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Northampton County)

Well, I just carry in a Blackhawk Serpa holster and/or a Galco inside-the-pant holster, shirt tucked in, and so the gun is CCed with my coat on, but OC when I take it off. And I usually keep the coat unzipped, so that I can quickly access the gun.

Ah, to live in a warmer climate...
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lackawanna County)

Blauer makes some police jackets intended to ride high enough. Kind of pricey, but really warm. When it's just cool and not cold, a hoodie works real well. I suppose it would be easier to just cover it in the winter, but frankly I've grown so accustomed to OC that I feel like a criminal when I CC. I'm not casting judgments, that's just how I feel when I conceal.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Some people tuck their coat behind the holster. Some just wear shorter jackets. But the reality is that unless you are purposefully trying to make a point by insisting on OC, most people who OC don't care about their coat covering it outside in the cold. It is mostly a comfort and ease kind of thing. I know for me, unless I am consciously CC'ing or OC'ing, I just wear an OWB holster and if what I am wearing covers or not doesn't make a difference.

+1 Well put. OC shouldn't be about making a point, its a personal decision based on comfort and convenience.
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/amamruoy/sigline-1-1-1-1.jpg

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DougX View Post
    How do you guys OC in the winter?I don't mean to sound like a smart ass,but how do you OC with a coat on?
    I don't OC with a coat on... I OC when I take my coat off

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

I wear an "Eisenhower" style work jacket. It only goes down about waist high, so very easy to tuck behind my OWB CQC.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Lackawanna County)

Don't forget - if a non-prohibited person without a LTCF chooses to carry on foot (outside of Philly, of course) they must, by law, carry openly.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(York County)

I guess I don't. I just put whatever coat I'm gonna wear on and head out. I say that I OC, but really I guess what I do is carry and not worry about printing. I don't usually tuck in my shirts so they cover the gun, as does my jacket. I just don't think about it as much as I used to.

Dave W.
    3%