Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default What do I need to do???

I just found this site and it is full of great info. Hope someone can help me with this one. Back in the early 80s my great uncle died (lived in NJ) everything was packed up and sent to my grandmothers house. 10 years ago she died and all those boxes went to my parents. We have started going though them and I found a .38 special and a .38 police positive. I live in PA what do I need to do to get these in my name. The only kind of document that I have found is his NJ firearms id card.

Thanks Pete

(Tioga County)

Default Re: What do I need to do???

Where do your parents live?

Quote Originally Posted by pete73 View Post
    I just found this site and it is full of great info. Hope someone can help me with this one. Back in the early 80s my great uncle died (lived in NJ) everything was packed up and sent to my grandmothers house. 10 years ago she died and all those boxes went to my parents. We have started going though them and I found a .38 special and a .38 police positive. I live in PA what do I need to do to get these in my name. The only kind of document that I have found is his NJ firearms id card.

Thanks Pete
    USNRET '61-'81

(Monroe County)

Thanks Pete
    Nothing. There is no "In your name" here. If you are familiar with weapon maintenance, clean them up and go shoot them. If not, take them to a reputable gunsmith and have them make sure they are in good repair. I would also get your LTCF from the Monroe county sheriff's office, it will make taking the guns anywhere a bit less worry free

Check the Monroe sub-forum where the process is spelled out in vivid detail.

Enjoy your firearms and welcome to the forum!

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

My parents live in NJ and never knew the guns were in the boxes. I started bring boxes home to go though them and clean out their garage.

I do have my LTCF. They are both a little rusty form being in a box in the garage for the last 20 years. I soaked the special in trans fluid for 3 weeks to eat away at the rust them gave it a good cleaning and lube. The action works fine, but there is pitting on the outside of the barrel. Chambers are good and the inside of the barrel is good too. The fireing pin is a little lose, is this normal?? I have always owned semiautos, so I don't know.

thanks for the welcome....and the info.

(Monroe County)

I should have said that this all depends on whether or not you are a prohibited person.....

(Tioga County)

I think that do to the fact these firearms are intestate (sp?). they will need to be sent to a PA FFL to get possession. IF they had been formally willed to you it's a different story.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    I think that do to the fact these firearms are intestate (sp?). they will need to be sent to a PA FFL to get possession. IF they had been formally willed to you it's a different story.
    IMO, they have already been brought into the state, plus there is nobody to transfer them from. I believe he brought them into the state as part of his property, just like you would if you moved from N.J. to Pa. and now that they are here, they are his property. If I remember correctly, the onus is on the transferer in any event, not the person receiving. Since the actual transferer is deceased, there is no issue.

Unless I am grossly mistaken, these are your guns, there is not even a mechanism to "register" them here, so enjoy them... IANAL but reading the statutes it would seem he is good to go...

(Tioga County)

I guess I misread the situation. In that case he has nice untraceable guns

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    IMO, they have already been brought into the state, plus there is nobody to transfer them from. I believe he brought them into the state as part of his property, just like you would if you moved from N.J. to Pa. and now that they are here, they are his property. If I remember correctly, the onus is on the transferer in any event, not the person receiving. Since the actual transferer is deceased, there is no issue.

Unless I am grossly mistaken, these are your guns, there is not even a mechanism to "register" them here, so enjoy them... IANAL but reading the statutes it would seem he is good to go...
    USNRET '61-'81

(Indiana County)

Don't tell any authorities in New Jersey about this. Wouldn't put it past them to dig up the remains and prosecute the guilty deceased party.

(Bucks County)

Thanks Pete
    I think you left out the part where your parents moved briefly to Pa, and while living here, they gave you the firearms. I seem to remember they lived here for a short while, don't you? And, since they were living here when they gave you the firearms, you don't have that whole "interstate' nonsense to deal with.