Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Wilkins Township officers know the law!!

Cross post from PAOPENCARRY.ORG

I live in Turtle Creek. If you are not farmiliar with the area, it's near Monroeville PA, just east of Pittsburgh.

Today I was at the Shop N Save in Wilkins township, about 5 minutes from my home. I open carried as I always do. About 15 minutes into my shopping adventure, I notice near the checkouts 4 Wilkins township police officers speaking with a woman that is wildly shouting and being quite disagreable. I grab my last few things and head for the checkouts only to find now that the woman is pointing at ME!! and getting louder. One of the officers approached me and and asked me for my LTCF. I provided it, but advised him that I was not obligated to do so as I was carrying openly. The officer thanked me and stated that the screaming woman had called 911 because she saw my firearm. He then told me to have a good day and rejoined the other 3 officers around the woman.

At NO time was the officer rude with me. If fact, they were attemping to tell the woman that what I was doing was legal, but that just seemed to send her blood pressure through the roof. I paid for my items and left, with her still screaming.

This is not the first incident I have had at this Shop N Save either, but I dont have a problem with the mgmt or employees there.

I didnt get the officers names, but I did get their car numbers and plan on contacting the department to advise them of the exemplary job the officers did.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Wilkins Township officers know the law!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon118 View Post
    Cross post from PAOPENCARRY.ORG

I live in Turtle Creek. If you are not farmiliar with the area, it's near Monroeville PA, just east of Pittsburgh.

Today I was at the Shop N Save in Wilkins township, about 5 minutes from my home. I open carried as I always do. About 15 minutes into my shopping adventure, I notice near the checkouts 4 Wilkins township police officers speaking with a woman that is wildly shouting and being quite disagreable. I grab my last few things and head for the checkouts only to find now that the woman is pointing at ME!! and getting louder. One of the officers approached me and and asked me for my LTCF. I provided it, but advised him that I was not obligated to do so as I was carrying openly. The officer thanked me and stated that the screaming woman had called 911 because she saw my firearm. He then told me to have a good day and rejoined the other 3 officers around the woman.

At NO time was the officer rude with me. If fact, they were attemping to tell the woman that what I was doing was legal, but that just seemed to send her blood pressure through the roof. I paid for my items and left, with her still screaming.

This is not the first incident I have had at this Shop N Save either, but I dont have a problem with the mgmt or employees there.

I didnt get the officers names, but I did get their car numbers and plan on contacting the department to advise them of the exemplary job the officers did.
    Please do. That is what they need to hear.

Funny, I was in that store tonight.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Venango County)

The only thing that could make this sweeter is if the officers told the lady,"Look, we explained that it is perfectly legal and he is not breaking any laws. If you continue to cause a disturbance, we will arrest you for disorderly conduct. We have to leave and go catch actual criminals now, good-bye."
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Monroe County)

I really hope you do commend them. There were way too many ways they could have handled that situation badly, and only one right way. It would appear they did almost exactly what they should have, and just in the interest of fostering more LEO good will, I would send a letter to their department.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

LOL on the othe side of town, in a completely different situation, the Shop and Save or what ever their new name is, had some kind of car jacking tonight, I was not there, but I shop there regularly... Oddly enough, the staff there never mention when I pull my shirt over and get my wallet out of my pocket. Seems they do notice the gun tho, and yet, no one ever said Boo... In the past 4 months there have been 2 incidents at this store.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I really hope you do commend them. There were way too many ways they could have handled that situation badly, and only one right way. It would appear they did almost exactly what they should have, and just in the interest of fostering more LEO good will, I would send a letter to their department.
    Its always welcome for a supervisor to get some good feedback on his/her officers.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

Found that story about my local Shop N Save http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...f238773035.txt
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Found that story about my local Shop N Save http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...f238773035.txt
    "attempting to leave the same Shop ’n Save with $13.47 worth of cheese in his pockets"
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazylaser View Post
    Its always welcome for a supervisor to get some good feedback on his/her officers.
    I will be drafting a letter in the AM and dropping it by the police station personally when I drive past tomorrow. As headcase stated.. there was only one way to have handled this correctly.. and they did. I always give credit where it is due.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon118 View Post
    I will be drafting a letter in the AM and dropping it by the police station personally when I drive past tomorrow. As headcase stated.. there was only one way to have handled this correctly.. and they did. I always give credit where it is due.
    Don't get me wrong, they had no cause to ask for your LTCF, and I wonder how it would have gone if you had just said that it makes no difference if I have one or not, without showing him it. That was handled wrong, but in the grand scheme of things, it was nothing and they handled the rest the right way, so I still say commend them

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast