Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st pistol

(Berks County)

Default My 1st pistol

Hey everyone i will be turning 21 in 4 months, and I have decided that on the day if its possible i want to buy a handgun. This will be for target shooting as well as protection. Im not too sure if i want to carry it so size isnt an issue. I was looking into a p99 but i was wondering if i should go for the 9mm or .40sw. Between now and my birthday i plan on going to french creek outfitters to fire a few different pistols and hopefully take a basic pistol class there if they offer them. also are p99s that hard to find in stores? Sorry about this long read but i have one more question...Which trigger system would be best for me on the p99? thanks for your help!

Default Re: My 1st pistol

Thats 4 months after the mooseiah will be sworn in.....i'd get your parents or someone who is 21 to buy it for you now and transfer it to your name when you are 21. (who knows what BS he will try to pull)

Cost issues i would go with the 9mm, ammo is cheaper. Its ultimately of course up to you though. I have an XD9 SC, awesome little gun
    Owner of EMac's Tactical - www.emacstactical.com

(Berks County)

Yea i was afraid of that too but i figure it will still take a while for anything to pass and then be put into law. But then again if he tries to ban weapons it is Unconstitutional and therefore illegal... in theory...

(Bucks County)

ARGH!

(Luzerne County)

There is tons of info to go through that can answer all your questions. But my opinion is save yourself some money get a xd 9 or a glock 17 both great guns. You could save even more and get a bersa. Nice first gun. It was mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo31rex31 View Post
    Thats 4 months after the hammasiah will be sworn in.....i'd get your parents or someone who is 21 to buy it for you now and transfer it to your name when you are 21. (who knows what BS he will try to pull)

Cost issues i would go with the 9mm, ammo is cheaper. Its ultimately of course up to you though. I have an XD9 SC, awesome little gun
    Fixed it for ya....

I'd go with a 9mm, good for range or defense. and ammo is still kinda cheap, well, cheaper than a .45 acp.

I'd get a Springfield XD, but you really need to go and try to shoot a few at a range that will rent guns so you can try a few different styles.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Lancaster County)

I recommend getting whatever gun tickles your fancy the day youre in the shop with cash in hand. Chances are youll like it. Also chances are youll soon be buying more anyway......even if you love it.

(Berks County)

yea i want to test a whole bunch of guns, but im assuming i should take a handgun beginers class first due to ive never shot or even held a pistol before. Are there any close places in berks to take a beginers class? The only place i know of that may have beginners courses is french creek outfitters.

(Jefferson County)

When you asked about the P99 actions.. The QA is pretty much like a Glock. Its heavier than a single action trigger, but lighter and shorter than a double action. It effectively does the same as a Glock, the striker is partially cocked upon racking the slide or firing cycle, and when you pull the trigger you cock it the rest of the way.

The AS trigger is different, sort of a two stage trigger. I cant give you an accurate description, hopefully NineseveN sees this thread and replies. He has a AS model.

The P99's are harder to find in a gunshop than the Glocks and XD's, they also cost a bit more too. For some the price difference is worth it, for others it isn't. I suggest going with the 9mm as well. The 9mm, 40S&W, and 45acp are all effectively the same with aftermarket ammo. But the 9mm is far cheaper to shoot.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Just my thougts for ya. My wife was much the same never held a pistol or shot before. She bought a glock19 and she loves it(so do I). As far as training courses you may read as much as you can on the internet about gun safety as you can...plenty of good stuff on youtube about gun safety. Also do you have friends or relatives that could maybe take you 2 the range one day..Good luck and BE SAFE!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast