Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to state

(York County)

Cool new to state

i moved to pa from md 2 yrs ago. i haven't gotten my drivers license changed because i have a maryland based business (i use that address). can i still purchase firearms in pa with proof of residency, like tax forms, ect? or do i have to have a pa license? is it the same for transfers? i was looking to buy an assault rifle and a shotgun. thanks.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: new to state

Quote Originally Posted by twilly View Post
    i moved to pa from md 2 yrs ago. i haven't gotten my drivers license changed because i have a maryland based business (i use that address). can i still purchase firearms in pa with proof of residency, like tax forms, ect? or do i have to have a pa license? is it the same for transfers? i was looking to buy an assault rifle and a shotgun. thanks.
    Well, seeing that "assault rifles" are generally select-fire, you would need to ask the BATFE about that.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Monroe County)

Two years and no change of address? You need to change your license.

I assume by "assault rifle' you mean an AR-15 or an AK. These are generally semi-automatic rifles. If you mean you want to buy a full auto or select fire rifle, then you will need to go to the NFA forum and look over the requirements for getting a tax stamp, one of which, I again assume, would be using your correct address......

I believe you have to be a Pa. resident to purchase firearms in Pa., but someone else will come along and verify this as I am running late......

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lehigh County)

get the PA drives license.... and get a PA LTCF. Just DONT carry into MD.

IAMAL but when Ive purchased here the dealer wants to see my drivers license. I didnt ask if a passport would do (that has a PA address). I would suggest the course of least resistance on that.... besides, you live here now.... go with the flow.

(Bucks County)

I thought, I could be wrong, that they use your DL # to do the background check.

(Centre County)

To buy a handgun in PA you must be a PA resident (unless it is going to be sent to your local FFL in some other state to do the paperwork).

To buy a rifle or shotgun in PA, from a FFL, if you are a resident of PA the PA DL is the easiest route. If you don't have a PA DL you must provide some other type of gov't ID and proof of residency. Also, some of the things that used to be able to be used to prove residency no longer can be used (I'm not at home right now so I can't tell you exactly which ones can't be used any more, it's spelled out in the newest PICS manual).

If you are now a resident of PA, by state law you have a set period of time to get your DL changed to a PA DL. I would highly recommend that you do that. I'm not a business lawyer but why does having a business in MD make it so that you don't have a PA license (PA's where you live, right?). Is you car registered in PA? If it is and you get stopped, the police are going to ask why the car is registered in PA and you still have a MD DL.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Cool Re: new to state

thanks for all the feedback. it seems i definetely need a pa state issued id. i have two company trucks at my house with md tags, and one personal vehicle. i have to keep the md tags for the trucks, but may change my personal vehicle to pa tags, along with a pa license. (maryland contractor, customers want someone local, not out of pa) i think what i will try to do is just buy a gun at the timonium gun show with my md id. deal with the wait, then come back and try to get a pa photo id. i know, i know. i like doing things the hard way. i do appreciate the input.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by twilly View Post
    i think what i will try to do is just buy a gun at the timonium gun show with my md id. deal with the wait, then come back and try to get a pa photo id. i know, i know. i like doing things the hard way. i do appreciate the input.
    I'd be careful with that. Maybe somebody can clarify on the specifics but I'm pretty sure that if you are a "resident" of PA, then you cannot buy a gun directly from a dealer in MD. You would have to buy the gun from the dealer in MD, then have it shipped to a dealer in PA where you could go pick it up...but again, to pick it up at that PA dealer you would need to prove residency as Xringshooter pointed out. Best way to do that would be with a PA drivers license.

On the other hand, if you still are technically a MD resident (meaning that you live there...can prove residency...not just have a MD drivers license) then you could make the purchase in MD while still a MD resident. Then, when you move to PA you simply take the firearms with you as part of the move.

It all comes down to in which state you are a legal resident.

And don't sweat the PA drivers license issue. PennDot, believe it or not, has actually streamlined most of their processes pretty damn well. Last time I got my license renewed I think I was in and out in less then 10 minutes. And for years now all of the vehicle services are online. I'm not exactly sure what kind of office PennDot has in York, but if you were to swing up to the Harrisburg PennDot building I bet you could be in and out in less than an hour with your PA license and your vehicle registration changed to PA.
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Penguini66 View Post
    I'd be careful with that. Maybe somebody can clarify on the specifics but I'm pretty sure that if you are a "resident" of PA, then you cannot buy a gun directly from a dealer in MD. You would have to buy the gun from the dealer in MD, then have it shipped to a dealer in PA where you could go pick it up...but again, to pick it up at that PA dealer you would need to prove residency as Xringshooter pointed out. Best way to do that would be with a PA drivers license.

On the other hand, if you still are technically a MD resident (meaning that you live there...can prove residency...not just have a MD drivers license) then you could make the purchase in MD while still a MD resident. Then, when you move to PA you simply take the firearms with you as part of the move.

It all comes down to in which state you are a legal resident.

And don't sweat the PA drivers license issue. PennDot, believe it or not, has actually streamlined most of their processes pretty damn well. Last time I got my license renewed I think I was in and out in less then 10 minutes. And for years now all of the vehicle services are online. I'm not exactly sure what kind of office PennDot has in York, but if you were to swing up to the Harrisburg PennDot building I bet you could be in and out in less than an hour with your PA license and your vehicle registration changed to PA.
    I don't think that applies to long guns. I bought shotgun from Dunham's in Ohio and brought it home with me.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    I don't think that applies to long guns. I bought shotgun from Dunham's in Ohio and brought it home with me.
    If that is true, then I certainly stand corrected.
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast